Pelchen Can't Help Himself .... Again

Remove this Banner Ad

The only sides that will be after Dal are sides who believe they can challenge for a flag and think Dal might provide whatever was missing in their quest for the cup. So shouldn't we receive something in return that at least represents that value?

If Dawes and Wellingham can get picks inside the top 20 then personally I think a mid second round pick should suffice. But as always, it's a negotiation process, so we'd be stupid to say that we'd accept anything below his market value at such an early stage.
Dawes and Wellingham are premiership players though

Dawes and Wellingham are premiership players though
It's kinda irrelevant when discussing individual talent though isn't it? I'd take Dal's best footy over both - but obviously those two are entering their peaks and Dal is not, so I wouldn't expect the same sort of compensation as Collingwood got for those two. But something in the latter stages of round 2 would be fair. Maybe with another later pick thrown in from our end.

And to answer your other question, he joined in 2011. So he had absolutely nothing to do with Ball leaving.

For a pick in the top 20 they will need to cover a fair bit of his salary.....
they would let him go for pick 30 not that they would state that....
i think if geelong came in with their second rounder and a surplus young player st kilda would be all over it

not that he will probably go anywhere.. st kilda lack senior players as it is...

It's kinda irrelevant when discussing individual talent though isn't it? I'd take Dal's best footy over both - but obviously those two are entering their peaks and Dal is not, so I wouldn't expect the same sort of compensation as Collingwood got for those two. But something in the latter stages of round 2 would be fair. Maybe with another later pick thrown in from our end.

And to answer your other question, he joined in 2011. So he had absolutely nothing to do with Ball leaving.
So why does everyone hate him then? It seems to me that the damage had already been done in terms of list development and turn over before he arrived. Not that you could really blame the guy before him seeing as St Kilda were inches away from two premierships.

Also I would instantly take Del Santo for a second rounder, doubt St Kilda would be happy with that though seeing as he is still a quality player and has a few more years left.

So why does everyone hate him then? It seems to me that the damage had already been done in terms of list development and turn over before he arrived. Not that you could really blame the guy before him seeing as St Kilda were inches away from two premierships.

Also I would instantly take Del Santo for a second rounder, doubt St Kilda would be happy with that though seeing as he is still a quality player and has a few more years left.

No idea, probably a question for the OP to answer.

Most St Kilda supporters are pretty happy with the job Pelchen has done as our list manager since taking over, we've traded and drafted a lot better than we did under Lyon.

No idea why, I think he's done a great job since he arrived. Our ladder position has dropped dramatically but that was inevitable however we now have 6-7 young players playing decent footy on a weekly basis. Things are looking better for the near future.

Personally I'd take a pick in the 20s depending on what the club think will be available. If the clubs hoping someone will fall to the 30s/40s and we can take them there I'd be all for it. But drafting is still a lottery so it's always going to have a chance of backfiring badly if Dal plays another 3 or so years of good footy whilst the replacement struggles to adapt.

If he has made any comments regarding it (and I'm not sure whether he actually has, given the 'herald sun understands' bit) I'd say its just to let other clubs know he's potentially available for the right price, allowing them to start considering what they'd have to give up if they're interested. Seems like a logical move as it gives us and suitors time to prepare and avoid to rush of the trade period.

But it's bigfooty, logical moves are going to be criticized regardless.

Dal should stay and help complete the cycle.

When he arrived the Saints were last and when he finishes they will still be last.
:D :D :D
That's hilarious muppet did you wipe your arse on a comic this morning it's side splitting you should be in the comedy scene with that other idiot Collinwood supporter Strawnie (that's how I spell it)he is as funny as a fart in an elevator mate :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is:
1. The saints aren't desperate to get rid if him.
2. If you want him, he's not going to be given away for free (a là Brian lake)
3. It'd take minimum a top 20ish pick to get him. (we all know they're not expecting really low. Realistically 15-21. Or Dal+22 for pick 10 for example).
4. If people aren't willing to give that. Then we will happily keep him to teach/help our youth.

This is all obviously ignoring the fact that the article had no quote or even source mentioned. Why would the saints announce this? Would Dal be happy about that?

The point is:
1. The saints aren't desperate to get rid if him.
2. If you want him, he's not going to be given away for free (a là Brian lake)
3. It'd take minimum a top 20ish pick to get him. (we all know they're not expecting really low. Realistically 15-21. Or Dal+22 for pick 10 for example).
4. If people aren't willing to give that. Then we will happily keep him to teach/help our youth.

This is all obviously ignoring the fact that the article had no quote or even source mentioned. Why would the saints announce this? Would Dal be happy about that?
I really doubt St Kilda will get rid of him for a second rounder. He's been a quality AFL player for a long period of time and when you start culling this experience and play really young inexperienced sides you end up with similar results/ culture as Melbourne. For instance the biggest difference between Footscray this year and Melbourne is that Footscray have retained their core senior players and for this they have been somewhat competitive whilst Melbourne have been nothing short of pathetic (no offence)

Pelchen, it's a bit late to be list managing now bud.
Just soak up your aging stars and pay Kosi what he deserves.
Long live Kosi and the veteran club.

I agree. But "second rounder" 25-36 = no.
21 and below = possibly.
And that's very different to delisting James McDonald for nothing. Or driving Brent malony out for nothing.

If the saints are worried about staggering retirements then they have got shittier 30 year olds to get rid of. Sure they aren't worth anything near del santo but I doubt they are going to get a pick under 20 for him.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-nick-dal-santo/story-fnia6oss-1226680433649

The Saints need to be working smarter here, not putting demands into the marketplace to get the other clubs off-side.

No-one is going to pay overs for Dal Santo even if he is a decent player, however, Pelchen is going to play all hardball like we all too well know he tries to and will not get anything.
Demands? Are you working under the assumption that Dal Santo wants to leave and/or the club wants him to leave?

I think from Pelchan's comment (the only concrete part of the article), it's far more likely that the Saints want to keep Dal, who has a year to run on his contract, but may be open to trade if the opportunity arises. Keep your first rounders/second rounders if you want. I don't think we're in any hurry to show Dal the door.

I'm sorry but I think you've misinterpreted the article and Pelchan's comments.

No idea, probably a question for the OP to answer.

Most St Kilda supporters are pretty happy with the job Pelchen has done as our list manager since taking over, we've traded and drafted a lot better than we did under Lyon.

Lyon was your list manager? No wonder he left, being forced to do two jobs for half the pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pelchen Can't Help Himself .... Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back