Perceived spuds at your club who get a game

Remove this Banner Ad

That's ridiculous. Playing at half forward or wing he's great. Playing him as a man on man defender he's not so great.
It's like being annoyed that Tom Murphy was getting pushed around by the Tomahawk, or blaming Robbie Campbell for being a crap full back - you can't blame the bloke for being terrible in the wrong position.
From an outsider perspective I would agree with that- I think he could be very damaging forward of centre with his kicking skills. We used Mark Nicoski to good effect in that role in 2011- big left foot kick but suspect defensively, he ended up with 40+ goals that year.

I would trial that if he stays at the hawks, and play Duryea in his defensive role, I don't think you would lose much from an attacking sense, but he is much better defensively.

As for my club, McGinnity & Selwood are the two candidates, for differing reasons.
McGinnity doesn't offer a lot from a skills perspective, but does go hard at the contest, and offers a bit of mongrel, which makes me see why he is in the side when he does play. You know what he brings to the table, he chases and pressures. If he could only add 2-3 goals a game....

Selwood just hasn't got his foot/ankle right since 2012. If he gets that right and has the confidence in it again, then I think he still offers a lot to a side. Still just 25, was a bottom ager in 2007.

North fans or footy fans in general? Either way I agree. What happened to this bloke? Went from being in the top handful of FB's a few years ago to now being (at best) merely a 'competent' player.

I'd take competent most weeks...

When he was a very good defender he was proactive, he backed himself to get to the contest first and spoil, when he is reactive he is shizen because he doesn't have the traits to defend well from behind.

Sam Gibson, probably. I love him, but he's probably the worst footy player in our best 22. There'd definitely be clubs that wouldn't give him games and if he couldn't run like he can, he wouldn't be getting games at North either.

But he can, so he does. :p

North fans or footy fans in general? Either way I agree. What happened to this bloke? Went from being in the top handful of FB's a few years ago to now being (at best) merely a 'competent' player.
Is being played out of position when he has to go to a big key forward - he isnt overly tall (or super strong) so he gets out positioned too easily. We reeaaally need one more big key defender who will allow Thompson to pick up a medium forward and run off on more occasions.

Blame James Brayshaw, constantly says he "is an absoloute Star", must have given him stage fright

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's McGinnity and Scott Selwood, but both have had limited game time this year. To be fair to McGinnity, he did very well at WAFL level and played his role when picked, but I don't think he's ever going to shake the perception.

Could he take over Firrito's role when he eventually retires?

I think he is suited to the mid-sized forward, that being said, Firrito is probably going to be pushed out by players like MacMillan, Atley, Mullett and McKenzie who rebound better and have more ability with the ball in hand. He is just going to have to be that 2nd or 3rd tall, ideally he plays on the type of guys who don't get much of the ball directed at them, when he is under the pump vs a full forward he is being exposed.

To be honest, I don't see him play a helluva lot longer than Firrito, Spud is playing really good footy, he looked shot a couple of years ago. Who knows, perhaps Thommo will extract the digit as well, was about the same age when Firrito found his second wind.

Brent Harvey and Jarrad Waite. They are horrible for Richmond. Kept turning the ball over to the North Melbourne players in the EF...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back