Perfect example why Hase should get 1 year

Remove this Banner Ad

1 year FFS

again...reiterate...great bloke, stalwart...but seriously

1 year contracts for everyone over 28 - including Hase, Des & Solly

Pav can have whatever he wants tho

No you weren't. You were clearly on about effective clearances being more important. Hasleby averages the second most of all players. Not bad for a bloke on reduced game time.

You're obviously stupid because you're pushing a line that Mundy and Crowley will be pushing him out of the midfield despite both having massive flaws in the game, and having never shown any signs of matching Hase at his peak. They're not young, they're in the their mid-20s. Hase still has more to offer over the next two years than both.

How often has Pav played up forward this year? Have you noticed that Sandi rucks down in the forward line when he's plonked down there?

I have seen Hase on the bench more often than I have seen Pav up forward.

Re-read all my posts and my answers to other people posts then construct a brain aided response....

When hasleby is 30, guys like Mundy and Crowley will be far better options for the team. Your disagreement alone on that shows you truly have no ability with the game on the field or off it

Re-read all my posts and my answers to other people posts then construct a brain aided response....

When hasleby is 30, guys like Mundy and Crowley will be far better options for the team. Your disagreement alone on that shows you truly have no ability with the game on the field or off it
Let's not get into Bradesmaen style arguments about whose played more games since under 7s.

I'd like to understand your thinking on this, I really would.

In both Crowley and Mundy, we've pretty much seen the peak of their performances. They're not young anymore, what we've seen is what we're going to get. There's scope for a little improvement, especially from Mundy, but I doubt either will ever have the class around the clearances that Hase offers.

So what will Hase lose that Mundy and Crowley will still have in two years?

The only thing I can see him possibly losing is pace. But Hasleby's never had pace. He's always been a player who has relied on his class in close to win the ball. Losing a yard or two of pace won't hurt the way he plays the game at all.

I can't see why he can't continue playing as well when he's 30 as Simon Black (two years older than him) or Brett Kirk (five years older than him) have been playing currently. Neither of those players have good pace, and in Kirk's case, he doesn't have great skill. Why couldn't Hasleby play a similar role to these two? Greg Williams was a slow extractor who played until he was 34.

In most categories, Hasleby is by far and away our best midfielder this year. Yes, eventually guys like Palmer and Hill will overtake him, but I would prefer not to expose the second and third year players to all the heavy lifting in the midfield so early. I am certain that neither Crowley nor Mundy are capable of that responsibility - now or ever. Hasleby is our best option for leadership through the midfield for the next two years.

Agree with some of your post Gravy but no need to give him 2 years now. No one at any club other than maybe the truly elite (Pav, Judd, Ablett etc) needs or deserves long term deals at that age. Yes Hase possibly has plenty of good footy ahead of him. No one is saying he wont be any good in 2 years. Just that for the sake of the club most veterans, especially at a club like ours (that has been burnt before giving older guys too long) need to go year by year. If they go on Solly and DJ are probably in same boat
From memory Crawford was on 1 year deals for the last few years of his career and that kept him well and truly hungry to keep going
Give Hase 1 year then if he keeps going give him another then another then who knows?
I am backing the clubs stance

He's 28 FFS not 32. Give him 2 years as a gift for long service if nothing else. We need to treat our great players well. Our young midfield needs onfield help and training guidance. He could even coach after giving up playing. Was Adam Simpson put on 1 year contracts at 28??

Will we keep this ridiculous "policy" when we are pushing for a flag and have a mature group we want to keep together?

To give spud and albino 2 years only 12 mths ago and not hase is criminal and a rude insult to him.

Look after our legends.

It is ridiculous that a player under 30 is considered too old to get a decent contract. It is a farce how many players get cut from 27 onwards just to load up on 18 year olds. Obviously a product of the ludicrously small lists available to clubs for such a high impact/injury game, but it still sucks.

1 year FFS

again...reiterate...great bloke, stalwart...but seriously

1 year contracts for everyone over 28 - including Hase, Des & Solly

Pav can have whatever he wants tho

Why does Pav deserve longer than Hase, because of his loyalty and quality of service?

If that's the measuring stick then surely Hase deserves longer than Headland and Solomon?

Agree with some of your post Gravy but no need to give him 2 years now. No one at any club other than maybe the truly elite (Pav, Judd, Ablett etc) needs or deserves long term deals at that age. Yes Hase possibly has plenty of good footy ahead of him. No one is saying he wont be any good in 2 years. Just that for the sake of the club most veterans, especially at a club like ours (that has been burnt before giving older guys too long) need to go year by year.

Except for Murphy, Thornton and Josh Carr who were offered 2 year deals less than 12 months ago?

From memory Crawford was on 1 year deals for the last few years of his career and that kept him well and truly hungry to keep going
Give Hase 1 year then if he keeps going give him another then another then who knows?
I am backing the clubs stance

The Hawks were happy for the likes of Croad, Hay and Thompson to depart for draft picks, and probably wouldn't have been too concerned if Crawf had packed his bags too.

Considering what we'd get for Hase we can't afford to go down that same path.

It is ridiculous that a player under 30 is considered too old to get a decent contract. It is a farce how many players get cut from 27 onwards just to load up on 18 year olds. Obviously a product of the ludicrously small lists available to clubs for such a high impact/injury game, but it still sucks.

Good post Bluto.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give Hase 2 years in a heartbeat, but then I'm a sentimental sook anyway.

No question that he has had a very impressive year back from injury, by the way.

This is a tricky point in history. We'll have 2 new teams within 3 years. Would everyone be happy if Palmer, Hill or Ibbotson got poached because we couldn't match an offer the Gold Coast put up. We need every dollar available at the end of next year.

I would definitely not give more than 1 year. No other club in the AFL will offer Hasleby 2 years knowing the Gold Coast will be pillaging their youngsters next year.

He'll stay on a 1 year contract.

This is a tricky point in history. We'll have 2 new teams within 3 years. Would everyone be happy if Palmer, Hill or Ibbotson got poached because we couldn't match an offer the Gold Coast put up. We need every dollar available at the end of next year.

I would definitely not give more than 1 year. No other club in the AFL will offer Hasleby 2 years knowing the Gold Coast will be pillaging their youngsters next year.

He'll stay on a 1 year contract.

Are you seriously isuggesting that we will be top heavy on salary cap, when we're going to chop 6-8 older players on contracts and replace them with draftees and rookies on sfa for the next 2 years?
In the team last weekend were Broughton, De Boer and Pearce. Rookie elvations, who'd basically be on match payments.
Suban and Hill are on base rate, probably until the third year of their contracts.
If anything, we'd be struggling to get to the base rate atm

Pretty sure Hill, Clarke and Suban signed for 3 years when drafted rgauci.

That leaves millions of dollars to split between Pav, Sandi, Palmer and Ibbo. If Palmer's recovery is going well in February/March I'd look to sign him up to end any speculation.

Hey guys this was in today's Sunday Herald Sun.

Thoughts?

090815_haze.jpg

Dunno what to believe from the media, but a one year contract on reduced pay is insulting. He took a big cut in his last contract, so if it is a one year deal, they should sweeten it a little.

Pretty sure Hill, Clarke and Suban signed for 3 years when drafted rgauci.

That leaves millions of dollars to split between Pav, Sandi, Palmer and Ibbo. If Palmer's recovery is going well in February/March I'd look to sign him up to end any speculation.

Every dollar in the salary cap is valuable. We just had a great draft. We'll want to retain the majority of the 14 players we drafted in 2 years time.

If we can front end someone's contract like Ibbotson or Palmer, that would be a huge bonus. Don't forget West Sydney is on the horizon.

I would only give Hasleby a 1 year contract. If his form continues he'll obviously recieve another contract. Many players wind up their career in a similar manner.

Also no Melbourne club is going to jeopardize retaining their youngsters to throw a wad of cash at Hasleby. They are all in the same situation as us with the two new clubs about to apply the pressure to uncontracted players.

Dunno what to believe from the media, but a one year contract on reduced pay is insulting. He took a big cut in his last contract, so if it is a one year deal, they should sweeten it a little.

I agree.

One year at a reduced rate, is a massive kick in the gob. He should be rewarded for a good season, at least one season at a good rate.

If he plays well next season, another season at a good rate should follow.

Anyway are we to believe anything the media tells us ?.

Player managers are lower than politicians and used car dealers. Stuff the players credability, if I can get a few dollars more.

I think the media are making shit up also - Hase took a reduced pay contract *last* time. I think its highly unlikely they are pushing for another pay reduction - if anything they are probably trying to keep it the same, but it sounds unlikely.

The other thing is we *do* have salary cap space, and alot of it, we might as well pay Hase while we can until we have to hang onto guys like Palmer when they get offered the big $$$ over at the Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect example why Hase should get 1 year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back