Peter Helliar - is he meant to be funny??

Remove this Banner Ad

I tried to book Helliar (Straughnie) to a very large sportmans night. He was available and wanted $12,000 for the 2 hours. Agree Straughnie is a funny character but $12,000 grand for a sportsmans night is beyond a joke. I just hope he didn't charge the EJ Whitten Foundation or Ch9 for his 3 minutes of humour at the legends game.:thumbsdown:

He is making a fortune. I know someone who works on Before the Game and believe me Helliar is making buckets of moolah.

Good for him. He struggled for a long time before Rove got picked up by the commercial stations.

I tried to book Helliar (Straughnie) to a very large sportmans night. He was available and wanted $12,000 for the 2 hours. Agree Straughnie is a funny character but $12,000 grand for a sportsmans night is beyond a joke. I just hope he didn't charge the EJ Whitten Foundation or Ch9 for his 3 minutes of humour at the legends game.:thumbsdown:
Have you misplaced the decimal place? I've heard $500 for 30 minutes, so $1,200 for 2 hours would sound about right.

that would be twelve million dollars. Good work if you can get it. I might come up with a lazy, overweight footballer character myself. I can base it on ... well, myself I guess.:eek:

I am yet to find anything this guy does amusing. Is not funny at all. If it wasnt for Dave Hughes that Saturday night show on ten would be shite!!:p

We really are the tall poppy country.

Love him or hate him Hellier seems like a good light hearted Aussie bloke. He has created a character that is extremely successful. He was more popular on Wednesday night than any of the past legends that played. Who said comedy needs to be intelligent to be funny? Good on him for having a crack I say. Better than being some fat ar$e geck sitting on the net(yes I know i am doing this myself) with nothing better to do than criticise people because we are probably jealous of the success they have.

Stick it up em pete

well said :thumbsu:

Yeah I agree, I find the office and the extras funny but can see why you might not.
Anyone see similarities between Hamish and Ricky Gervais' humour?

Er...you mean Hamish of Hamish and Andy?

No.

And not between Gervais and Helliar either.

Actually, even though I don't mind Helliar, I thought that was a bizarre comparison. They seem light years apart to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am yet to find anything this guy does amusing. Is not funny at all. If it wasnt for Dave Hughes that Saturday night show on ten would be shite!!:p

To me that show is pretty shite! Hughesy can be spontaneously funny but the majority of it is a rehearsed bit, good on him for putting so much work in but it doesn't make me laugh. Peter Helliar at least hangs it out there and the majority of it is not funny but he has his moments.

Anyone who bags Roy and HG clearly does not understand the humor, the funny thing is these people are the ones being made fun of and not only do they not realise it, they tell everyone how bad it is. This only adds to my enjoyment.

Still at the end of the day I get more laughs out of Australia's Funniest Home Video Show than any other show on tv.

Pretty much all comedic characters have a pretty limited shelf life. Hilarious the first handful of times you see them but then the joke wears thin after a handful of sketches.

Helliar's gone the same way and he's cashing in on the character so long as people are willing to pay him.

And, unfortunately for those people who like humour to be clever or witty, TV networks pitch as low as they can so they don't go over anyone's heads.

I saw some highlights of the E J Whitten game on the weekend, and can't quite get my head around what that fat effwit Peter Helliar was doing there..

I understand that the character he played has sort of something to do with football, but don't understand why the character was playing - and more to the point does anyone find anything this bloke does funny - he is less funny than Rove (and that is saying something), his ad for the womens gym is particularly unfunny and I saw an ad on the telly last night where he rated himself as some sort of lothario whilst advertising a pasta sauce...

What is he doing on televison???
What idiot would start a thread like this. What's he doing on TV. Think it has something to do with talent knockerboy. Something he probably does alot better than you ever would. You're obviously jealous, hence the tall poppy knocking. Get a life!

What idiot would start a thread like this. What's he doing on TV. Think it has something to do with talent knockerboy. Something he probably does alot better than you ever would. You're obviously jealous, hence the tall poppy knocking. Get a life!

An idiot like me - I didn't understand why he was playing in a legends game alongside people who have played the game at the highest level - the only thing he appears to have done at the highest level is eat all those pies...

The fact I don't find anything he does amusing is not relevant here - what I was wondering was why he was playing in a legends game when he is far from being a football legend...

And as for talent, I don't think he has a lot of talent, but a few people here do - no biggie...still have no idea how he qualified as a legend for a legends game, that's all...

This "Straughanie" character seems to be a lame rip off of Reg Reagan.

I see what you are saying, but they are actually quite different characters.

There is absolutely no "bring back the biff" about Strauchanie and Helliar never played AFL. He is just a deckhead.

Can be pretty funny sometimes. I got tired of Reg ages ago.

An idiot like me - I didn't understand why he was playing in a legends game alongside people who have played the game at the highest level - the only thing he appears to have done at the highest level is eat all those pies...

The fact I don't find anything he does amusing is not relevant here - what I was wondering was why he was playing in a legends game when he is far from being a football legend...

And as for talent, I don't think he has a lot of talent, but a few people here do - no biggie...still have no idea how he qualified as a legend for a legends game, that's all...

Oh, is that all? Well the answer is: it's a charity match and they would like to maximise their revenue whilst still maintaining its relevance.

I thought that would have been pretty obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Helliar - is he meant to be funny??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back