Peter Matera (WCE) OR Shane Crawford (HAW)

Who was the better player in their Prime????

• Peter Matera (WCE)

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • Shane Crawford (HAW)

Votes: 19 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really confused with this poll until I read it properly...

I thought you were asking PHIL Matera!!!!

Two-Bobby said:
Matera was one of the premier wingmen of the nineties, where the role is primarily to attack the ball and use one's pace to deliver it forward. His defensive game was not as consistently called upon/utilised as Crawford's who - as a midfielder - probably NEEDED to have a more rounded defensive side of his game. So I've witnessed more of Crawford having to do "in-pack" type of work than I've seen from Matera.

Some good points in your post but I must point out that 1996 onwards Peter Matera played primarily as a defender, playing off half back and even being selected in this position in 2 All-Australian teams. He was an excellent defender which is often an overlooked side of his game.

Personally, and yes probably with some bias, I think Matera gets the edge over Crawford, but of course they are quite different players.

Matera was a gun. I absolutely hated the guy. Why? Because he was so damn good. The same reason we hated Carey and Buckley for the first 7 years. The same reason we hated Pete Sampras until we all wanted him to win that last Grand Slam. I love Hawthorn and reckon Crawford was the best 9th pick to ever come out of a national draft, but Matera was streets ahead of any midfielder in his prime.

Two-Bobby said:
Would Dunstall have been the same player at the Western Bulldogs - or even in today's Hawthorn side?
Sorry to take this off-topic but the answer is yes. He was still kicking bags of goals at the end of his career, in a weaken and sometimes terrible HFC lineup.

Anyway back on topic: As I said earlier Crawf.

anyone who says matera by a mile is kidding themselves
matera - champion
crawford - champion
even if you think matera is better its not by much, i'll go crawf because he's had to do it tougher with less talented teamates around him.
both sublimly skilled footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Matera (WCE) OR Shane Crawford (HAW)

Back