Opinion Petition for a new logo?

We need a new logo

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They can f*** off if they're changing the home guernsey.

Us and Gold Coast are the only two clubs to never change their guernsey design.
And I guess you can throw in Collingwood by at least maintaining their premise. (even if a 100% flip)

You know what's funny.

Port fans troll us for no tradition.

We've worn our guernsey for every year of our existance.

Port Adelaide hadn't even had the colour scheme of black and white at this stage of their existance.

Also - Do note, next year Port will have worn 'other' guernseys seasons than their 'traditional' guernsey. (Though, it was only in 1969 that their "traditional" guernsey became worn more than half their existance.

This isn’t actually on the cards is it?
Theyre saying something about minor changes.

But what constitutes minor changes? Difference collar? I'm okay with that.
But anything that amends the hoops can **** off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine it's making the cuffs and collar Navy

View attachment 2080968

I feel like our jumper is one of the better looking ones in the league though. Any time we’ve played around with it with side panels and different coloured cuffs we’ve ended up going back to the original as we’ve realised it’s best. Wouldn’t make sense to change it.

I feel like our jumper is one of the better looking ones in the league though. Any time we’ve played around with it with side panels and different coloured cuffs we’ve ended up going back to the original as we’ve realised it’s best. Wouldn’t make sense to change it.
We perfected the system in the 90s by wearing the home strip at all times, just with white shorts for away games.

I'm sure we paid him for that one. We worked collaboratively with him at least.

I'm not saying taking someone else's work is ok, in fact bad idea, if only for the bad media coverage it would get, but I wonder if anyone knows what the legalities are?

I'd assume not a lot of ownership can be claimed by people remixing existing logos and colours into "new" designs?

Like if someone created our guernsey with just 1 yellow and 1 red hoop on a blue background, they'd not have a claim on the concept, even if they did create some nice mockups right?

Take an existing logo and outline it? If someone does that, does it mean the owner of the original logo can't do it either?

Theres a ton of concepts out there by supporters and hobby graphic designers, I'd be sure whatever we come up with, someone will have done something that is not that different at some point in time. Especially if you're trying to do something with 3 coloured hoops.

Again, not saying just go out and rip someones ideas off, if anything, even if no obligation to do so, would encourage them to reach out and come to an arrangement.

Only fair to credit Fizzler for this proposal.
Thank you for bringing that post over here, greatly appreciated.

If my two cents are welcome here, I’d like to give my opinion on the topic. I understand this stuff isn’t for me being a fan of your club’s biggest rival, but my opinions on the branding of non-Port clubs come from my enjoyment of sports design more so than liking or disliking any club so please bear that in mind. Apologies if it’s not welcome but I wanna hear what the vibes are amongst fans of the club in question.

I’m very much of the opinion that the Crows’ logo is one of the worst in the league. FWIW I would’ve had the old Port logo in the bottom half somewhere so it’s not a bias thing, it’s just that I think there’s a lot of potential in your colour scheme and going for a blue Baltimore Ravens esque logo is nowhere near the best that could be made. Hence why I put together the concept that I did, to fix the issues I had with the old Crows logo, because as a kid I struggled to really pick up that the trails behind the logo were just that. A lot of retro stuff is really in right now and I think it’s the perfect time to go for something simple that isn’t going to be dated in 5 years time like the current logo, but instead taking cues from the history the club does have and simplifying that.

In terms of the guernsey, I maintain that the Crows jumper is absolutely in the top half of home jumpers in the league, not sure exactly where though. I don’t have positive feelings when I see it, but that’s honestly a good thing. I really like dark jumpers, and bright stuff works better in moderation I find. When it comes to Port, I don’t like seeing a lot of teal on a regular basis, and probably only half of that is from a place of wanting to preserve the Port Magpies history. The other half honestly just comes down to the fact that in high doses it doesn’t look good. I figured the hoops being the only flashes of colour (bar the number) is far better than having the bright yellow on the collar and cuffs as well, and also balances the amount of red and yellow pretty equally. You could almost go white numbers on the back to really sell that idea, but it’d probably stray too far from the current jumper.

It might also be worth noting that the blue collar and cuffs as well as limiting the hoops to only two sets has already kind of been worn before, in Heritage Round 2006 and 2007. Was never a big fan of the SANFL club colours down the side on this one, and the Adidas template at that time is horrid, but the base design is very nice. Since it’s not unheard of as a Crows jumper, I’m curious how Crows fans would feel about those changes to the jumper. Would it be an upgrade or a downgrade?
IMG_5917.jpeg

All in all, credit where it’s due to those who came up with the Crows branding in 1990. Absolutely nailed the brief of what a quasi-SA state team should look like. I think West Coast would’ve liked to do the same and be called the Perth Swans wearing yellow and black, but thanks to Perth (WAFL), Sydney and Richmond that was never a possibility. In terms of the Crows though, it’s just a shame that the logo has never really stood up to what the rest of the branding could be. Here’s hoping a really really good logo is unveiled when the time comes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Petition for a new logo?

Back