Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why these WCE supporters who supposedly don’t want to trade the pick have posted 1000s of times in a thread about trading the pick.

Wouldn’t the time be better spent watching Harley highlights

Not sure why these WCE supporters who supposedly don’t want to trade the pick have posted 1000s of times in a thread about trading the pick.

Wouldn’t the time be better spent watching Harley highlights
And go to other team's boards to argue that they are wrong to think that they can trade for pick 1 because WC would never trade it...

Smells of insecurity

So following on, let’s say 1) West Coast like other players in the top 5-6 almost as much as Reid and 2) Clubs are willing to throw 3 first rounders in for pick 1.

Why is it so out of the question for West Coast to trade pick 1?

Absolutely not out of the question.

West Coast certainly has Reid at pick 1 and West Coast aren't worried in the slightest about Reid leaving given the players already on the list.

If we trade pick 1 it's because someone has the value to make it happen.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Do some analysis and tell me the weakest area of the ground for WCE.

Shouldn't take you long.

If you don’t want to trade it then why linger here all day replying negatively to people suggesting scenarios?

Let us converse with those who are open to it. You saying no to everyone’s posts gets old.

If you don’t want to trade it then why linger here all day replying negatively to people suggesting scenarios?

Let us converse with those who are open to it. You saying no to everyone’s posts gets old.
Same could be said about Dees fans who, as of this moment, aren’t even close to having the value required to get pick 1.

Big Footy really need a facepalm react.

WCE will likely take Reid at 1. But on the off chance someone offers us something that is too good to refuse (to WCE, not MEL/NME), we might trade the pick.

There's no harm discussing trade proposals while we watch Harley Reid highlights.

Big Footy really need a facepalm react.

WCE will likely take Reid at 1. But on the off chance someone offers us something that is too good to refuse (to WCE, not MEL/NME), we might trade the pick.

There's no harm discussing trade proposals while we watch Harley Reid highlights.

36.5% of WC fans disagree with you according to the poll on the WC board.

36.5% of WC fans disagree with you according to the poll on the WC board.
1.5% of those are West Coast fans. The other 35% are Melbourne and North Melbourne fans that found the discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK then, fxxx it. 4 x top 5 picks across 2 year's, then we talk. Everything else is shite.

I'm saying do some analysis as to why WCE should trade pick 1, for what players, what areas of the ground WCE need improvement the most, etc.

If you're going to be lazy and say 'everything', then you're simply trolling.

I'm saying do some analysis as to why WCE should trade pick 1, for what players, what areas of the ground WCE need improvement the most, etc.

If you're going to be lazy and say 'everything', then you're simply trolling.

This is the what would it take thread. Not the why should WC trade thread.

Personally I don’t care why WC would trade it/not trade it. I do care about what a good deal looks like.

When you buy a house do you give a shit about why the seller is selling? Do you do analysis into the sellers reasons for wanting to sell the house for you? When you go to the market do you try to understand why the person selling you T-shirts wants the money you are spending for?

Most people only care about what the deal looks like.

Personally I don’t care why WC would trade it/not trade it. I do care about what a good deal looks like.

When you buy a house do you give a s**t about why the seller is selling? Do you do analysis into the sellers reasons for wanting to sell the house for you? When you go to the market do you try to understand why the person selling you T-shirts wants the money you are spending for?

The point is, the deal won't go ahead at all if it doesn't satisfy WCE, or is an offer a club would actually be prepared to pay up.

North offer 2 and Port's 1st - That's literally valuing Reid at pick 15. Not going to happen, because any other club would be able to offer more.

North offer 2 & 3 for 1 - WCE would snap North's hand off if that happened but there's zero chance of North doing that.

That leaves Melbourne - 4 & 5(if they get 4 from GC) would be a good starting point but pick 5 is likely to be Watson/Caddy. Neither fill a need on WCE's list and don't alleviate the fact that our midfield is our weakest line, and by no small margin. They're also reputed to be the highest flight risks in the draft(both Metro players, of course...)

5, JVR and Melbourne's first isn't remotely close to getting it done;
  1. 5 is out of range of Reid, Curtin, Duursma & McKercher
  2. JVR doesn't fill any need for WCE. A good player, no doubt, but we've recently recruited for the forward line and are also developing players through there to fill the role JVR would. He's also undersized for a FF(although so is Darling and he's kicked over 500 goals) and it's a moot point anyway, as Melbourne wouldn't want to trade him anyway because their tall forward stocks are currently shite without him.
  3. Melbourne first rounder, again, isn't in range of any prime mids players. George Stevens/Darcy Wilson could be options around here but you'd just take Reid instead of trading pick 1, if this was the aim. Whilst anything could happen at this stage, Reid projects a far better prospect currently and they could be selected before Melbourne's first rounder anyway.

There is a rationale that WCE could auction the first pick and use it to top up their KPPs in this draft and aim for mids next draft. Not the worst idea but the fact is that next year, most of the current players(yes, I know a lot can change) expected to go top 5 are Vic metro, with Syd Draper the other, who Adelaide's supposedly desperate for. He's also 7cm shorter than Reid, but could obviously grow.

The issue with this is that we then are likely to have too many KPPs on the list, so the developing blokes in the WAFL will have to play out of their preferred positions, which will badly stifle their development in a team already having serious issues developing players.

WCE badly need developing mids, especially ones at stoppages, like Reid. They don't need to split a pick for a small forward(Watson) or a tweener(Caddy) who would likely look to go home after their initial contract.

So, hopefully this gives you a rough understanding of why it would take a very compelling offer for WCE to give up the rights to the one player who would plug the biggest hole on the list for the next 15 years and why nearly every WCE supporter is against trading the pick.

When you buy a house do you give a s**t about why the seller is selling? Do you do analysis into the sellers reasons for wanting to sell the house for you? When you go to the market do you try to understand why the person selling you T-shirts wants the money you are spending for?

The reasons for or against WC trading the pick impact the price the club would require to part with it. Your analogies are incongruent because at those points the desire to sell already exists.

With regards to what it would take, this interview, from about 18:30, indicates two top 10 picks would be insufficient:

The reasons for or against WC trading the pick impact the price the club would require to part with it. Your analogies are incongruent because at those points the desire to sell already exists.

With regards to what it would take, this interview, from about 18:30, indicates two top 10 picks would be insufficient:
Maybe have another listen.
He flat out says 2 top 10 picks would not be enough.

North offer 2 and Port's 1st - That's literally valuing Reid at pick 15. Not going to happen, because any other club would be able to offer more.
I've seen some mental gymnastics in my time on this website, but this might be the most egregious example so far. Would love to hear the logic behind this take.

I've seen some mental gymnastics in my time on this website, but this might be the most egregious example so far. Would love to hear the logic behind this take.
Pretty straightforward.

North give up Port's first to move up to pick 1.

WCE give up pick 1 to slide to pick 2 and get a late first rounder as compo for it.

WCE could just take Curtin at 1 if they wanted. All they get out of giving up Reid is a late first-rounder.

Capiche?

It stuns me that so many North fans fail to understand this.

Pretty straightforward.

WCE give up pick 1 to slide to pick 2 and get a late first rounder as compo for it.

WCE could just take Curtin at 1 if they wanted. All they get out of giving up Reid is a late first-rounder.

Capiche?

Wow.

This is the Olympics level mental gymnastics.

If North trade 2 and Port's 1st (let's say 15) to pick 1, that means they value Reid as worth pick 2 + 15. That's it, super simple.

You're conflating the option of WCE picking Curtin at 1 with the value of Reid. If WCE want to pick Curtin at 1, then they should just do it.

Saying the North trade values Reid at 15 is disingenuous at best.

Pretty straightforward.

Capiche?

I don't understand it either. You're just removing pick 2 from the equation.

You didn't seem to apply the same logic to the other scenario where you acknowledge WC would jump at an offer of picks 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back