Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

He's improving and could be a weapon if he fulfils his potential.

I think he prefers the close one on one defending and beating his man than zoning.

I thought he was the most effective on the team when on Pickett.
I agree. I liked him in the back half of last year, and again despite the injury disruptions in 2024, his last 6-8 games have been a big improvement. I'm not noticing the fumbling or dropped marks at the moment, his tackling is strong, his concentration to defend dangerous opponents is better and his kicking is fine.

He's so much like Bergman in that it takes him a few rounds to get into the season but he brings similar qualities and they complement each other well back there.

why could port match the lachie jones bid, but we cant match cochrene? rule changes?

Because Cochrane is not a FS. And is not a Port NGA academy member.

Also because the AFL decided that metro Adelaide NGA players didnt qualify for the academy selections (unlike Victorians) because they are not as important... (well because the AFL tries to manaufacture the amount of candidates).

From memory if the SA indigenous zones worked the same as Vic, Rankine would have been in our zone at the time and selectable ... but someone can correct me if they like.

Because Cochrane is not a FS. And is not a Port NGA academy member.

Also because the AFL decided that metro Adelaide NGA players didnt qualify for the academy selections (unlike Victorians) because they are not as important... (well because the AFL tries to manaufacture the amount of candidates).

From memory if the SA indigenous zones worked the same as Vic, Rankine would have been in our zone at the time and selectable ... but someone can correct me if they like.

The AFL treats Brunswick as regional Victoria.

Victoria will soon be entirely Melbourne, then it will get really confusing. ;)

I agree. I liked him in the back half of last year, and again despite the injury disruptions in 2024, his last 6-8 games have been a big improvement. I'm not noticing the fumbling or dropped marks at the moment, his tackling is strong, his concentration to defend dangerous opponents is better and his kicking is fine.

He's so much like Bergman in that it takes him a few rounds to get into the season but he brings similar qualities and they complement each other well back there.
He definitely looks locked in. He's fast but also good in the air. He is also powerful. He also likes the one on one stuff.

For mine, the fumbles were just rookie mistakes and he would iron them out eventually.

Our small forwards are biggish with Bergman and Evans at 189cm, Lachie at 186cm and Faz at 182cm. If Perryman makes it across, he's 187cm.

He definitely looks locked in. He's fast but also good in the air. He is also powerful. He also likes the one on one stuff.

For mine, the fumbles were just rookie mistakes and he would iron them out eventually.

Our small forwards are biggish with Bergman and Evans at 189cm, Lachie at 186cm and Faz at 182cm. If Perryman makes it across, he's 187cm.
Without wanting to sound too much like Ken, what's his defensive stuff like?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is going to be fine. His bull-at-the-gate approach meant he also made lots of errors. Seems to be getting the balance right more often now. Its from 50 games onward that players start to to really show true colours - Just look at Bergman this year. Has been a tease, then hit his 50 games middle of last year, and has gone from strength to strength!

I've always liked the mix of power, pace and athleticism that Lachie brings. It was always just a matter of getting experience to settle him down as a medium defender.

I think it’s also forgotten that he got moved around a fair bit early on. Definitely a player that needs to be set in a position and let settle, rather than one of those players that just excel no matter where they are.

Also looks a player that dominated SANFL because he was quicker, more agile, stronger and more skilled than anyone else so was never really put under much pressure. The step up to AFL was a shock and he has taken awhile to adapt and get up to speed.

He isn’t quite there yet. Needs a professional off season. Needs to work on the mental side of things and a good coach to help him define and refine what he needs to do during the game. That should smooth out the bull at a gate stuff and the fumbles.

Maybe give up on him as a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda short

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Still has his faults to work on and injury problems lingering, shouldn't be any more than 2 years.

Onya Conan. Just keep building your game.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Film GIF by Arrow Video

Not necessarily.

A 2-year deal suggests he expects to improve and wants the flexibility to renegotiate when he does.

Flexibility both ways, I reckon.

Means he's not stuck on a miserly contract if he continues to improve over the next couple of years, but also allows us to cut him loose reasonably quickly if he doesn't improve or if others go past him (it's not like we're at all shy about recruiting small/medium defenders).

At first it sounded like he might be going to the US with Boak. But he's going with some of the players and physios who have arranged their own additional fitness gig in the US.

Great to see the players taking on additional fitness development.

Not necessarily.

A 2-year deal suggests he expects to improve and wants the flexibility to renegotiate when he does.
Also the club isn’t resting on its laurels.

Here is two years but we want to see greater growth and development.

I've been down on Jones but he is changing my mind fast.
Would love to see him play and make a huge impact on the coming finals. Guys like this playing out of their skin could make all the difference!

If there was every a player who epitomised the saying “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”*, it's this guy.

*don’t like this saying! Jane was pretty brave, moving to the jungle to live with gorillas if you ask me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back