Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

It's nice to have a key forward with a bit of swagger again.
That one-armed grab and strut with a low five on the way was so good to see.

Everything about him seems to have matured since his ACL lay-off.
He speaks much better.
He is physically much stronger.
He plays with a confidence and assuredness that he just didn't have before.

Bit like Kane Farrell and Robbie Gray before him, he has emerged from his ACL a much better footballer. Hope SPP can do the same.

Even the acknowledgement when the short 20 meter hit up was honoured by ?DBJ? In the second I think it was, the fame of a handball over the top to the square, the little low 5 to ?Mead? The boys were buzzing and carrying on with a bit of confidence. Something that has been severely lacking within this footy club for far too long. They weren’t humble in their victory and I think that mindset shifts what would have normally been a 45-58 point win in seasons gone by, into the absolute drubbing 112 points was.

And when there is a certain air of arrogance and confidence about a team, sometimes the Brisbane loss occurs, but there was no sign of this shift in mindset prior to the Brisbane game which is why I, yet again saw the same old Hinkley lead football team that had not failed to evolve in 12 years.

The only time I can recall a Hinkley lead footy team plying with some arrogance was back when Sam Gray sat at Full Forward and Jasper Pittard was bluing with Gold Coast Suns at Murarra or whatever their ground is called.

Signed a four year extension in 2023 to the end of 2027

For some reason I thought it was shorter than that so that’s a good thing. It feels like he is ready to go next level.

For some reason I thought it was shorter than that so that’s a good thing. It feels like he is ready to go next level.

He already has gone next level. In his last 9 games he has averaged:
  • 3.2 goals/game (more than Hogan, Curnow, possibly everyone I didn't check the others)
  • 6.8 marks/game (top 3 compared to everyone other KPF by season)
  • 2.4 i50s/game
  • 64.1 GA% (top 4 compared to other KPFs by season who has kicked more than 20 goals)
And he is only 22. If he continues to improve who knows what he will be. He is such a difficult match up because he is too quick and elusive for most of the monster KPFs while being just to good and soon to strong for the most of the smaller KPFs.

I get that he is 3rd tall because of his height but right now he is the most dangerous KPF forward in the competition. Next season he will have another preseason under his belt, and will come back stronger (which will boost his contested possessions and marks), fitter (which will help him lead and get into space), more experienced and probably with a slightly improved leap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He already has gone next level. In his last 9 games he has averaged:
  • 3.2 goals/game (more than Hogan, Curnow, possibly everyone I didn't check the others)
  • 6.8 marks/game (top 3 compared to everyone other KPF by season)
  • 2.4 i50s/game
  • 64.1 GA% (top 4 compared to other KPFs by season who has kicked more than 20 goals)
And he is only 22. If he continues to improve who knows what he will be. He is such a difficult match up because he is too quick and elusive for most of the monster KPFs while being just to good and soon to strong for the most of the smaller KPFs.

I get that he is 3rd tall because of his height but right now he is the most dangerous KPF forward in the competition. Next season he will have another preseason under his belt, and will come back stronger (which will boost his contested possessions and marks), fitter (which will help him lead and get into space), more experienced and probably with a slightly improved leap.

You are right - especially over that period... I guess I was thinking more that it takes the footy community time catch on and thats when the hype comes.

Everything about him seems to have matured since his ACL lay-off.
He speaks much better.
He is physically much stronger.
He plays with a confidence and assuredness that he just didn't have before.

Bit like Kane Farrell and Robbie Gray before him, he has emerged from his ACL a much better footballer. Hope SPP can do the same.
Reckon he's done a lot of work on loosening up his hammies in rehab. I was quite critical of his ability below his knees early on but he's improved that aspect quite a bit too and can now have genuine impact if the ball hits the ground. Won't ever be his bread and butter but has nicely improved a real negative in his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back