Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest news:

CLUBS EYE POWER FORWARD

OLLIE Lord is attracting interest from Victorian clubs, amid Port Adelaide's pursuit of Gold Coast forward Jack Lukosius.

Collingwood is in the market for a key forward and has enquired, while Melbourne has held long-term interest in Lord and is also understood to be keeping tabs.

Lord signed a two-year contract extension last December that ties him to the Power until the end of 2026, after Geelong made an advance during the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

Port Adelaide has assured the 22-year-old he is part of the future of the club and doesn't want to trade him, despite Lukosius requesting a move to the Power.

Veteran key forward Charlie Dixon called time on his 14-season career on Wednesday, while Todd Marshall faces some uncertainty after another concussion ended his season. Lord should get more opportunity at Port Adelaide in 2025, but rivals are keeping an eye on his situation in South Australia. – Josh Gabelich

Last edited:
So Lord should be extending his contract right? I gather something would have been put in front of him by now so if he doesn't extend it is he waiting to leave or raising his value. Would love to see how we manage all these tall forwards next year as I don't think he should be one rotting in the SANFL, I gather Dixon will get games ahead of him if fit?

It's October and the players are still on holiday. I wouldn't be worrying just yet.

It reminds me a tad of the old arrogant Port Adelaide days, when Big Bob would pay various taxi drivers to bring interstate players from the airport to Alberton so he could check them out first even though another club had paid for their plane fare.
Why would you pay a plane ticket for someone to come, but not wait for him in the airport?

You deserve to lose him midway.

So Lord should be extending his contract right? I gather something would have been put in front of him by now so if he doesn't extend it is he waiting to leave or raising his value. Would love to see how we manage all these tall forwards next year as I don't think he should be one rotting in the SANFL, I gather Dixon will get games ahead of him if fit?
The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Why would you pay a plane ticket for someone to come, but not wait for him in the airport?

You deserve to lose him midway.
For the majority of the Big Bob era GP I believe the Maggies had only two full time off field employees, the secretary (his role) and one assistant, and I suspect the other sanfl clubs were probably run on similar lines.

Coaches had full time jobs and so did players, so there would have been situations where no-one was available to meet a potential player at the airport or train station, hence the requirement for McLean's network of taxi drivers etc.

For the majority of the Big Bob era GP I believe the Maggies had only two full time off field employees, the secretary (his role) and one assistant, and I suspect the other sanfl clubs were probably run on similar lines.

Coaches had full time jobs and so did players, so there would have been situations where no-one was available to meet a potential player at the airport or train station, hence the requirement for McLean's network of taxi drivers etc.

I understand, but my point still stands.

Screenshot_20231208_000251_Instagram.jpg

south park GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good move - and speaks to his fairly sudden development signing a 1 year deal, then a 2 year extension again in the same year.

Can't remember that happening too often.

Didn’t he only sign the extension to 2024 during last season? I wonder if he is seeing more game in the near future.

Great signing, but will be interesting to see how Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson, Georgiades and Lord fit into 1 forward line….

1 ruck territory I suspect.

Didn’t he only sign the extension to 2024 during last season? I wonder if he is seeing more game in the near future.

Great signing, but will be interesting to see how Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson, Georgiades and Lord fit into 1 forward line….

1 ruck territory I suspect.
Dixon near the end of his career, Georgiades will be playing SANFL off an ACL, Finlayson can be a tall utility.

Dixon near the end of his career, Georgiades will be playing SANFL off an ACL, Finlayson can be a tall utility.
Agree that Dixon has a year (maybe 3/4 of a season left) and Georgiades will come back through the SANFL.

I can see Lord being in and out of the team in 2024. Maybe the move of Georgiades to the wing has legs as well?

Agree that Dixon has a year (maybe 3/4 of a season left) and Georgiades will come back through the SANFL.

I can see Lord being in and out of the team in 2024. Maybe the move of Georgiades to the wing has legs as well?
Georgiades doesn't have the mobility for that, the best you can hope for in that area is for key forwards to lead up the ground.

Schulzenfest is gonna have kittens
Nah this is fine. I still don't think we should have ever played him over Georgiades but he's not on my pile to be delisted any time soon either. Three years is reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Back