Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest news:

CLUBS EYE POWER FORWARD

OLLIE Lord is attracting interest from Victorian clubs, amid Port Adelaide's pursuit of Gold Coast forward Jack Lukosius.

Collingwood is in the market for a key forward and has enquired, while Melbourne has held long-term interest in Lord and is also understood to be keeping tabs.

Lord signed a two-year contract extension last December that ties him to the Power until the end of 2026, after Geelong made an advance during the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

Port Adelaide has assured the 22-year-old he is part of the future of the club and doesn't want to trade him, despite Lukosius requesting a move to the Power.

Veteran key forward Charlie Dixon called time on his 14-season career on Wednesday, while Todd Marshall faces some uncertainty after another concussion ended his season. Lord should get more opportunity at Port Adelaide in 2025, but rivals are keeping an eye on his situation in South Australia. – Josh Gabelich

Last edited:
He had a poor year, and tbh I thought he was poor in the preseason matches (internal trial, and versus Crows and Dockers) before his injury surfaced on the eve of round 1.

The jury is out on him. He had some good moments in 2023 highlighted by one out-of-the-blue final in which everything he did turned to gold. The sad reality is that he hasn’t come close to scoring 4 goals or even having 4 shots on goal at either level, before or since.

His big fall-off in 2024 was a lack of competitiveness which had been the shining feature of his 2023 campaign. He stopped playing from in front, launching at packs and straight lining the bouncing ball. The excellent below knees handling of the footy was nowhere to be seen.

Guys like Logan Morris and Geelong’s Neale have shot past him.

However, we don’t have a viable alternative right now. Marshall is not suddenly going to become a bash and crash, pack contesting forward especially off the back of multiple concussions, some of which seemed to be triggered by minor incidents. Todd will be in a direct contest with Lukosius to be the second leading, link-up forward behind MG and probably starts behind him based on current form and fitness.

Scully should be the guy. I can see his weaknesses but for the club to even consider giving up on him seems crazily premature. Hopefully, they’re giving him a Jase Burgoyne style rocket at the start of his third preseason to say that it’s time to buck up, grit his teeth and start playing like a beast.

In the meantime, we have to push Lord to get more out of himself in year 5.

If people don’t think Lord will make it, and someone is offering a 2nd round pick, why arent you calling for a trade?

Lord had a horrible injury at the exact wrong moment that threw his season.
I've read some real crap the last few pages. The bloke had a big preseason and on the eve of the season fractured his tibia ie broke his leg.

Get a hammer and smash it against your shin and fracture your tibia and see how long it takes to recover from that.

He also got bad bone bruising. So after doing a near full preseason he is set back months, would have played with low confidence and was playing in a crappy team. He only played 6 SANFL games Rds 6,7,8 his injury flared up again and affected him and ended up playing Rds 16,17,18.

By Dejan Kalinic
Mar 9, 2024, 3:59pm

PORT Adelaide forward Ollie Lord will miss the start of the 2024 season after hurting his leg at training on Saturday.

Lord suffered an impaction fracture in the tibia and high-grade bone bruising on the knee after landing heavily in a marking contest.

Late last year, Lord rejected Geelong's advances and signed a two-year contract extension with Port. Speaking about the Cats' interest on Wednesday, Lord said: "Whenever your name gets thrown up in other teams' talks and discussions, it was definitely flattering. "But I never turned my head at all, I thought my career is now at Port and I'm really happy with how I am going here and the group, the upward trajectory. "As much as it was flattering, it never really caught my eye."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1071147/how-afl-fantasy-will-tackle-opening-round-early-byes

Last edited:

Other reason you don't get rid of Lord is in October 2025 there will be no Dixon, Finlayson, Marshall and maybe Ratugolea - well he wont be playing as a KPF.

Lucosius isn't a KPF, he is a 3rd tall, tall wing man type.

Who out of Marshall, lukosious or Georgiades does he play in front of? Finlayson probably too as the second ruck. I just don’t see a first 22 spot for lord unless there are injuries.
Todd could possibility retire, and if not and he plays on, we will have to be ultra conservative with him.

Finny has checked out and will just be cheap depth who pops up every now and then
If there's one player on the whole list we need to have a big pre season and take the next step it's this guy. Sorry to crush anyone's dreams but a forward line of Georgiades, Marshall and Lukosius isn't going to pay the bills. Lord is a great athlete and a natural competitor - he's got all the tools required, give him the opportunity and I'm confident he'll show what he can do.
A forward line of Todd , Mitch and luko has some real vibrancy about it. Difficult match ups and a coach who knew how to use them right could really exploit teams.

Hinkley probably isn’t that coach.

But we can’t rely on Todd being healthy, and it’s a very good idea to have a different type ie lord to slot in.
MG, Finlayson, Lukosius & Marshall in whatever combinations of is a touch too pretty for mine, Ollie offers a point of difference with a touch of mongrel.
Agree he offers a point of difference. As above I think the three players could work, but you don’t want to only have that option.

I strongly suspect lord will be first 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Back