News Pick 54: James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems he's purely a back up/depth player which is a good thing IMO. You have to build a list, not just a starting 22. And you shouldn't just take kids all the time. Neeld obviously likes his talls (Collingwood trait perhaps) so it's important to have some big bodied men that can jump straight into senior level.

For the first time in a long time we appear to be very sure about what we lack and we have gone after it hard. I think we got Clark to play forward and Sellar to play back. The other picks were defenders who are hard at the ball. We obviously see a lack of agression and big bodies as an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays all 22 games as a key defender. He is the big bodied defender we lack which I thought we would try and mould Juice into. He was pick 14 for a reason a few seasons ago. This is well worth the risk at 54. It could turn out to be a wasted pick but so could anyone in a weak draft at pick 54.

Good selection.

I wonder if they might be considering playing Mcd fwd?

This selection actually adds massive depth to our talls gives us a lot of flexibility, e.g. Sellar fwd with Clarke allowing Watts to push out onto a wing and provide quality delivery into the f50, or Sellar back with Stef when we play teams with two big strong fwds, freeing Chip and Riv up to play their natural games and letting Garland run off HB to create.

Or maybe he is there just as backup which is also fine. As many have said, pick 54 in a pillaged draft, on a developed previous pick 14 is not exactly a waste. Throw in the fact that Craig and TV have both coached him before, there must be something in it.

Do hope we pick up Couch and this Waldhunter kid though.

Re: Pick 54:

It creates competition; something Watts hasn't had ... ever.

This will be good for him; and let's get one thing straight.

Sellar is not ahead of ANYONE for a key forward spot; not even Bartram.

He's shown next to nothing in five years at the elite level; however he has a lot of talent.

I think Neeld is using this as further motivation for Watts and Clark to be honest, two players with massive potential.

If they don't work hard and deliver; there are other options.

I think Neeld is using this as further motivation for Watts and Clark to be honest, two players with massive potential.

If they don't work hard and deliver; there are other options.
To a degree I think this is right.

I also think that Neeld has a very steadfast gameplan which he will not deviate from and that will involve having the best option for every roll and multiple mobile forwards to chose from for any given week who can perform the same or complimentary roles.

So it isn't just about raising the bar for other players, it is about covering injuries and managing/rotating players over a long season which will be much harder under Neeld than Bailey IMO even after improving our conditioning.

I also like that Neeld is taking that traditional spotlight away from the forwardline a bit (Jurrah, Watts) and not only adding some hardness but a blue collar work ethic which has been proven quite effective at Collingwood. Watts and Jurrah will both be damaging in their own right but we needed some foot soldiers too.

Our forward setup is going to be very interesting next year on top of the Neeld game plan in general.

I also think that Neeld has a very steadfast gameplan which he will not deviate from and that will involve having the best option for every roll and multiple mobile forwards to chose from for any given week who can perform the same or complimentary roles.

This is a good point. It's likely that Neeld wants a playing list that adapts to his game plan, rather than having a game plan that adapts to his players. i.e. he would rather have someone like Sellar come in to the side if a Watts/Clark goes down injured than to change the dynamics of our forward line and go smaller.

Not so sure that Sellar equates to a good work ethic to be completely honest.
I don't see how this is any different to a fair few players already on our list though TPM.

Neeld and co. will address this and players will either train hard and play to instruction or miss out.

One thing (amongst many other things) under Bailey that we didn't have was a culture where players would be expected to look each other in the eye when they walk off the ground - we were engineered to defeat as a collective.

IMO Neeld will not only create clear expectations (and roles) that he has of the players but also an expectation between the players of each other.

Anyone who doesn't put in will be letting the system and the team down. Hopefully we develop a culture similar to Geelong where that doesn't wash and it drives players to perform for the team. Sellar has been given another chance and perhaps saved of the fate of going to GWS, I think he'll have a crack personally under Neeld and co.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going on what??
His training and effort around the club are excellent, often first in- last to leave.

Going on the fact he hasn't amounted to anything despite obvious talent.

You're telling me he's put his head down and worked hard every season he was at Adelaide?

Or that he just started to work hard when his future was in doubt?

One equates to a strong work ethic; the other doesn't.

For what it's worth Sellar is a top bloke because he replied to my tweet ... :D. anyway I asked him what position he saw himself playing in 2012 and he said he would be part of the defensive group. Interesting, obviously Neeld remembers the way his team monstered us on Queens Bday last year...

You're telling me he's put his head down and worked hard every season he was at Adelaide?

He may not have lived up to the hype of his junior years, but you have just concluded that it was totally due to a poor work ethic. What a ridiculous statement. And where's the proof of the obvious talent?

By his own admission, the one thing that he lacked was self confidence.

Confidence is a wonderful thing in sport. Hopefully the kid can find his feet and be a solid player for us.

I think the truth is more of the first, he's been their 5 years and I'm pretty sure for the last few at least he's had a real crack, I doubt Craig would've tolerated him for so long if it wasn't the case.

As for his obviously talent...a high draft pick and some nice moves doesn't mean obvious talent.

There are plenty of players who work hard and look the goods but can't get it together, just like players who don't work hard and look ordinary but can still get a job done. If Sellar is one in that first category then the best chance for him is a change of scenery and new coaches.

I see it as win win.

Win for Sellar...gets a fresh start and challenge, knowing that from the start he is depth and needs to work hard to be best 22.

Win for Melb...need competition for the talls at either end of the ground. Can't keep the Bailey style of selection of being a youngster so you get games anymore...We want to win games!!!

Furthermore since 2002 I will never be happy unless we have heaps of backline depth!!

I think he could play a vital role in handling the gorillas in our backline, meaning Rivers can get the 3rd tall. Frawley and Garland can alternate tall /small. Looks good to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Pick 54: James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back