Pick Your 3 preferred options of those that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

Pick Your 3 preferred options of these that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside would anyone have Jetta's Colts numbers from 07? I'd be very confident that they'd look similar to Simpsons. It's taken him 5 years to fully develop and I think Simpson will take a similar amount of time.

I for one am prepared to wait that long (if its a no to Garlett) especially if we bring in Hrovat, who is as ready to go as you'll get, but are others prepared to wait til 2016-2017 for Simpson?....
I think the comparisons to Jetta are probably very valid in terms of the type of player he is.

I am not sure about waiting 5 years though. With Jetta he was not picked up as an 18 year old - I cannot remember why as he is an obvious talent, but it may go back to attitude & maturity etc. However once he got into the AFL system he developed rapidly. He had one year where he didn't have the require fitness then went bang.

I think Simpson in an AFL system would be the same. A year or two to develop a fitness base & strength then he would be ready to rock, this won't take 5 years. By all reports the kid has his head screwed on & will be a real professional so I am expecting he will develop quickly enough.

jetta was overloooked in 2007 and 2008
played senior wafl in 2009, drafted end of that year.

Cats are keen on stringer too according to HS
Yep - No way Stringer slides. Brisbane at #8, Carlton at #11, GWS at #12 and #14, Geelong at #16 and Fremantle at #17 are an impossible gambit for Stringer to make it past - I think Freo have already said that they'd draft him if he was there at #17.

He'll probably go Top 10, come draft day.

jetta was overloooked in 2007 and 2008
played senior wafl in 2009, drafted end of that year.

I realise that and it's pretty much the point I'm making. Based solely on output Simpson would probably be level pegging with what Jetta produced in his Colts year of 07. If recruiters had their time over again Jetta would certainly be a top 20 selection from that draft even though his output was low that year, much the same as Simpson this year.

If anything it's a nod to how much talent identification has improved over the years if a guy with relatively poor output during his U18 year can still be spoken about as a top 15-20 selection.

My preferred options and wishful maybe:

1) Clurey -> A steal here if he falls and best available. A key defender and genuine key position size unlike some of the other bigs who may end up being tweeners (although this was said about Sam Reid a while ago). Has a forward game and thats where i'd develop him.
2) Garlett -> You don't often get to draft players that can turn a game with brilliance. When you get the chance you go for it. Considering he hasn't been fully dedicated I like his upside if we can get him within our culture and development system.
3) Kennedy / Lonergan -> I like Kennedy better here as he has more game but less likely to actually be available. Kennedy is a silky, quick goal kicking mid with some inside game to go with it. Lonergan would be a good get though and bigger bodied more inside type. I like his all round game with the combination of winning the pill, neat skills, breakaway pace and size.

My preferred options and wishful maybe:

1) Clurey -> A steal here if he falls and best available. A key defender and genuine key position size unlike some of the other bigs who may end up being tweeners (although this was said about Sam Reid a while ago). Has a forward game and thats where i'd develop him.
2) Garlett -> You don't often get to draft players that can turn a game with brilliance. When you get the chance you go for it. Considering he hasn't been fully dedicated I like his upside if we can get him within our culture and development system.
3) Kennedy / Lonergan -> I like Kennedy better here as he has more game but less likely to actually be available. Kennedy is a silky, quick goal kicking mid with some inside game to go with it. Lonergan would be a good get though and bigger bodied more inside type. I like his all round game with the combination of winning the pill, neat skills, breakaway pace and size.

Herald sun has us taking -

O'brien
Garlett
Lonergan

Clurey taken by Adelaide @ 20 should they get to participate.

Kennedy not chosen till pick 30, which I doubt he will get past our 3 picks.

Simpson gone to GC early.

Stringer to Geelong.

Membery to Freo at 17.

I haven't watched the Lonergan reel what's his disposal like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald sun has us taking -

O'brien
Garlett
Lonergan

Clurey taken by Adelaide @ 20 should they get to participate.

Kennedy not chosen till pick 30, which I doubt he will get past our 3 picks.

Simpson gone to GC early.

Stringer to Geelong.

Membery to Freo at 17.

I haven't watched the Lonergan reel what's his disposal like?

Neat without having anything special about it, penetration or what not. Seems to spot up short targets really well. In other words he has the skills to play his position on the field. This is going off the footage I have seen and mocks I have read so maybe i'm missing something.

What's the go with Adelaide's pick 20, anyone heard if/when the AFL is going to take it off them?
For all intents and purposes yes. It remains with Adelaide but they arent allowed to use it. So essentially it is a dead pick and we get three in a row. Although does anyone have a news article to confirm?

Would prefer us to pick up Victorian boys then Garlett. Seems like he isn't absolutely commited to football and would probably go home in a couple of years.

From what I understand with what he's said, he wants out of WA desperately. Change of environment is what he needs, just to get out of the area that keeps landing him in trouble. He's recognised this and it's why he wants out.

For all intents and purposes yes. It remains with Adelaide but they arent allowed to use it. So essentially it is a dead pick and we get three in a row. Although does anyone have a news article to confirm?

It won't be confirmed until Monday, but considering they've been charged by the AFL it would take something astonishing at that meeting for them to keep that pick. ATM they're probably looking at the prospect of losing their first 2-3 picks in the 2012 and possibly 2013 drafts as well as a fine in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Would prefer us to pick up Victorian boys then Garlett. Seems like he isn't absolutely commited to football and would probably go home in a couple of years.

What do you base the bolded on? According to some Harley Bennell was a dead set cert to be in WA by the end of 2012 this time last year and he's now GC's franchise player....

There are plenty of footballers that have followed similar paths throughout their formative years Jack Darling the most recent and obvious example. If he's in the pool at our 3 picks he'll be a pie. Whether he lasts that long is the real question though....

I realise that and it's pretty much the point I'm making. Based solely on output Simpson would probably be level pegging with what Jetta produced in his Colts year of 07. If recruiters had their time over again Jetta would certainly be a top 20 selection from that draft even though his output was low that year, much the same as Simpson this year.

If anything it's a nod to how much talent identification has improved over the years if a guy with relatively poor output during his U18 year can still be spoken about as a top 15-20 selection.

i think that statement is a bit off
you could use the same argument to the opposite, mason shaw touted as top 5 early in the year, has a poor year and slides....same with james stewart, first round possibility, now possibly undrafted
we dont know how simpsons career will pan out....so to say talent id has improved because it rates kids who had a poor year higher due to their afl qualities, crystal balling etc is not right imo, drafting has always been like that.
And to say simpson had a poor year is a bit rich, he was good at champs, his year just was not as good as garletts...
also simpson has been in the system, played at SA last year and was impressive.
Just on Jetta i have the feeling he didnt even play colts, could be wrong, think he may have just played country footy....not sure

i think that statement is a bit off
you could use the same argument to the opposite, mason shaw touted as top 5 early in the year, has a poor year and slides....same with james stewart, first round possibility, now possibly undrafted
we dont know how simpsons career will pan out....so to say talent id has improved because it rates kids who had a poor year higher due to their afl qualities, crystal balling etc is not right imo, drafting has always been like that.
And to say simpson had a poor year is a bit rich, he was good at champs, his year just was not as good as garletts...
also simpson has been in the system, played at SA last year and was impressive.
Just on Jetta i have the feeling he didnt even play colts, could be wrong, think he may have just played country footy....not sure

Drafting is still an in-exact science, however talent identification has come a long long way and the fact that the rookie draft looks set for the scrap heap is not just because of the reduced numbers, but because the amount of talented 18 year olds slipping through is plummeting. Put simply they're all getting selected in the national draft. TBH there isn't anything that could be said to dissuade me from that view anyway so we probably need to agree to disagree on it if you still feel differently.

You know what though with the amount of talent Simpson has he should have produced Garlett like numbers. Sure there were reasons why he may have had an off year but they're similarly talented footballers. Therefore to be so far behind someone with perceived off field issues when you are similarly talented points towards a poor year IMO and that's all this is, my opinion. It shouldn't effect his draft range at all, but again IMO it does mean that he'll be a more long term prospect because of it....

Thanks for the info on Jetta possibly not playing Colts also.

OK, I've been sitting on the fence, but here goes:

18: Garlett/Simpson
19: O'Brien/Clurey/Membrey
21: Lonergan/Hrovat.

One speed demon with good foot-skills, One tall forward(would only take Clurey if we think there is the prospect of him playing forward and I think Membrey will be a nice compliment to Cloke) and One extractor.

I think all players mentioned above fit the Hine style of recruiting

One speed demon with good foot-skills, One tall forward(would only take Clurey if we think there is the prospect of him playing forward and I think Membrey will be a nice compliment to Cloke) and One extractor.

Very good mix, would be happy with any of that

That looks good to me. All valid options each filling some sort of need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick Your 3 preferred options of those that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

Back