Picks 33, 38 and 53: What to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a 19yr old ruckman playing for Broadbeach on the Gold coast ,204cm and around 110kgs new to the game, ex-rugby player but was killing it in the major league up there (the one that plays against the NT sides)toward the end of the year, name of Mitch Brewer.Very aggresive playing style and has nominated for the draft.Collingwood and Brisbane interested and all the experts have him going in the 50's and 60's which would put us in the mix .IMO given we've just traded and delisted our back-up ruck stocks in Renouf and PJ in the last week ,it wouldn't be a bad pickup a kid like this.

Perfect Draft Pick

This may sound a little biased, but a kid I know who will be in this years Draft is the perfect player for Hawthorn.

He is a mid sized midfielder and is very quick. He also has great endurance.

The best thing is that in the Draft combine, he hasn't been near the top, but always placed about mid field in all the tests. And as we have picks that are a little later, I believe he will be available and a very good pick.

His name is Max Warren, so look out for him in the forth coming draft

Re: Perfect Draft Pick

This may sound a little biased, but a kid I know who will be in this years Draft is the perfect player for Hawthorn.

The best thing is that in the Draft combine, he hasn't been near the top, but always placed about mid field in all the tests. And as we have picks that are a little later, I believe he will be available and a very good pick.

Thanks for your input, Max. Never heard of him (you), sorry. Good luck, though.

Personally I hope for:

33 - Henry Schade, 196cm KPD from Tassie, great left-foot kick.
38 - Sam Kerridge, 188cm mid, strong and reasonable pace.

53 - Bruest.

If Mitch Grigg somehow fell through he'd be a steal but I can't see it happening.

They reckon Mitch Grigg will be a slider, he'd be a steal at 33, I also like Sam Kerridge and Clay Smith, all onballers with some size, Bruest will obviously be pick 53.
Clay is only around the 180cm mark ,similar style to Brad Sewell ,great player though ,hard as nails.Agreed we need to start planning for life beyond Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell though even though they may have a few more years ,it's inevitable that their input and fitness may start to wane given that their careers have been done hard.We need some ruck backup too though ,don't want to be caught with having guys like Hodge having to contest the center bounce again as was the case a couple of years back when all of our rucks went down..

Personally I hope for:

53 - Bruest.

If Mitch Grigg somehow fell through he'd be a steal but I can't see it happening.

Schade is very good but it's thought he would go 40-60 so might be paying a little over market value, still great player and if he found his way to the Brown and Gold you won't get a complaint out of me.

Kerridge could go anywhere from 30-50 so it will be interesting to see where he lands, but once again a exceptional player of quality.

Grigg has been jumping up and down the draft ladder prediction for a while now will be interesting to see where he lands. Had a nice champs and what a kick!

Slide away Griggy.

Personally I hope for:

53 - Bruest.

I want those players to get picked but i reckon it will be the other way around with kerridge at pick 33 and schade at 38

Re: Picks 33 and 38

We wont be taking either Lovett or Fev

Ive been told Fev will be at the hawks next year via the rookie draft. This is from a player who can't wait to play with him.

Although I'm not 100% convinced, some of it makes sense.

Regardless of what everyone thinks about Fev, the rumour and innuendo won't go away.

For what its worth I'd rather him than Bruce on our list and hope an AFL club takes the punt on him.

Played at least one game with Box Hill this season.

Re: Picks 33 and 38

Ive been told Fev will be at the hawks next year via the rookie draft. This is from a player who can't wait to play with him.

Although I'm not 100% convinced, some of it makes sense.

Regardless of what everyone thinks about Fev, the rumour and innuendo won't go away.

For what its worth I'd rather him than Bruce on our list and hope an AFL club takes the punt on him.

Not sure if you read the shhhhh thread but I would trust shhhhh more than most.

Surely dreaming if we think we are a chance to get Grigg at 33? Maybe if we still had 24, but there is no way someone with that skillset wouldn't slide that far in a swallow draft

Surely dreaming if we think we are a chance to get Grigg at 33? Maybe if we still had 24, but there is no way someone with that skillset wouldn't slide that far in a swallow draft

Agree totally, chances of him sliding anywhere near our picks is almost non-existent.

Would love to snag Josh Waldhuter and Marley Williams with our first two picks, it reamins to be seen if they will still be around but we should go close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a long shot. But lets say GWS don't pick up Ladson, oh for that matter no other team does. Is there any chance of us then picking him up in the rookie draft?

I don't think he would be interested, his main reason for moving on is he wants regular games in the best 22, we can't give him that. Furthermore he'd drop to rookie wages which is pretty bleak when you're 27....

This guy seems to fit the mould of our recent recruiting criteria.
Mature aged, strong body, dominating in a state based football league...

WEST Perth onballer Mark Hutchings is a ready-made AFL midfielder and could be a steal for whoever punts on the St Kilda reject, according to his WAFL coach Bill Monaghan.
Hutchings, 20, was the captain of WA's victorious under-18s team in 2009 and spent 2010 on the Saints' rookie list but didn't play an AFL game before being delisted after one season.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl...-1226173960214

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Big strong young lad at 191cms and 88kgs is a very good clearance player and a good mark. Because he isn't overly quick could quite easily slide to our pick 33.

What about this Manson fella? Seems to be an enigma.

Seems to be a little bit Buddyish to me, kid could turn a game in it's head when it suits him, great leap, nice hands and X-factor. Not sure if he'll make our pick with so much talent.

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Big strong young lad at 191cms and 88kgs is a very good clearance player and a good mark. Because he isn't overly quick could quite easily slide to our pick 33.

Likely ready to go body wise for AFL next season, disposal is great as well, very creative, speed is a concern but that's what they said about Simon Black and he done alright for himself.

Anyone watching the NTFL game Fev's playing in?

Fev going well, but Waylen Manson has kicked 9 so far. My first look at him, similar style to Buddy.

Edit: Make that 10 for Manson. And Tim Mosquito looks a lively mid-fielder type, not sure if he's looking at the draft, though.

Rucks: What do we do at the draft table?

With 2 rucks coming off our list (Renouf & Johnno), I am interested to know peoples thoughts on what we do this draft.
Firstly, although considered weak this year, would we be able to pick up a promising young ruck at the National Draft with either of our picks in the 30s?

Secondly, the most likely to occur imo is that we go with an experienced ruck with our veteran rookie pick and Daniel Currie, James Craig, Joel Tippet and Broc McCauley could be a chance along with one from left field in Adam Pattison. He could be an ideal temporary replacement for Renouf until Grimley fully develops, with both being similar type players and he did put in some pretty handy performances, although never really fit at Box Hill this season.

Thoughts peoples?

Re: Rucks: What do we do at the draft table?

With 2 rucks coming off our list (Renouf & Johnno), I am interested to know peoples thoughts on what we do this draft.
Firstly, although considered weak this year, would we be able to pick up a promising young ruck at the National Draft with either of our picks in the 30s?

Secondly, the most likely to occur imo is that we go with an experienced ruck with our veteran rookie pick and Daniel Currie, James Craig, Joel Tippet and Broc McCauley could be a chance along with one from left field in Adam Pattison. He could be an ideal temporary replacement for Renouf until Grimley fully develops, with both being similar type players and he did put in some pretty handy performances, although never really fit at Box Hill this season.
Thoughts peoples?
well daniel currie is probably the best for mind in that list never was a fan of pattison but who knows he may go alright if given the chance but i think we will rookie draft another ruckman with the loss of renouf and johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 33, 38 and 53: What to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back