Pies set for Saturday final

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be unfair to West Coast for them to have to fly back on the Sunday, so the game really has to be either Saturday arvo or Friday Night so they can fly back Saturday night at the latest.
That doesn't make any sense.
Play Friday night, travel Saturday, play Friday night
Play Saturday night, travel Sunday, play Saturday night
They are exactly the same.

Is there any chance that we'll have to play at Etihad? Does one final have to be played there or can they all be at the MCG? If Sydney hosts St Kilda and Etihad does need to host a final then which one would it be out of Collingwood vs West Coast, Geelong vs Hawthorn, Carlton vs Essendon? I would think it would be us with West Coast the only non-Vic team. Sure hope not.

not a chance if we played there riots would happen

I am not a fan of day games at all, the atmosphere is so much better during night games. But at the end of the day the team I love is playing a final, id wake up at 6 in the morning to watch em play.

Huh? Talking about not making sense!

If the game is on Saturday afternoon, WCE can get a flight home after the game. If it's on Saturday night they either have to fly home at or after midnight or stay an extra night in Melbourne.

Umm, you forgot one, play Saturday Arvo, travel Saturday Night.:eek:;)

But then again, you are a Gold Coast fan, so you won't have to figure out finals travel plans for a while yet.

Definitely prefer Saturday afternoon over night - afterall, the GF is in the afternoon and if we only play all night finals leading up, then the GF (assuming we make it) in October will be our first day game since July!

It might be seen as only a small issue - but every small issue that goes our way helps.

Huh? Talking about not making sense!

If the game is on Saturday afternoon, WCE can get a flight home after the game. If it's on Saturday night they either have to fly home at or after midnight or stay an extra night in Melbourne.

Umm, you forgot one, play Saturday Arvo, travel Saturday Night.:eek:;)

But then again, you are a Gold Coast fan, so you won't have to figure out finals travel plans for a while yet.
I should have been clearer, there is no difference between Friday Night and Saturday Night as far as the Eagles are concerned. Too say that West Coast can play Friday Night but not Saturday night is wrong.

I should have been clearer, there is no difference between Friday Night and Saturday Night as far as the Eagles are concerned. Too say that West Coast can play Friday Night but not Saturday night is wrong.
You've misread what was being said, we're saying there is a difference between Saturday afternoon and Saturday night therefore the game is likely to be on Friday night or more likely Saturday afternoon.

You've misread what was being said, we're saying there is a difference between Saturday afternoon and Saturday night therefore the game is likely to be on Friday night or more likely Saturday afternoon.

It would be unfair to West Coast for them to have to fly back on the Sunday, so the game really has to be either Saturday arvo or Friday Night so they can fly back Saturday night at the latest.
He quite clearly said Friday Night was viable possibility while Saturday Night is not. That is 100% wrong. They are the same, hence if you can play Friday Night you can play Saturday Night and vice versa.

He quite clearly said Friday Night was viable possibility while Saturday Night is not. That is 100% wrong. They are the same, hence if you can play Friday Night you can play Saturday Night and vice versa.
I'm not sure how you think it's the same. Friday night means WCE can leave Melbourne on Saturday. Saturday afternoon means WCE can leave Melbourne on Saturday. Saturday night means WCE leave Melbourne on Sunday. Is arriving back in Perth a day later and having one less day of recovery after the 1st final is the same?

I'm not sure how you think it's the same. Friday night means WCE can leave Melbourne on Saturday. Saturday afternoon means WCE can leave Melbourne on Saturday. Saturday night means WCE leave Melbourne on Sunday. Is arriving back in Perth a day later and having one less day of recovery after the 1st final is the same?
If West Coast play Friday Night the Semi Final will be Friday Night.
If West Coast play Saturday Night the Semi Final will be Saturday Night.
In both cases they have a 7 day break and in both cases they will fly home the next day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope we get a Friday night prelim, rather than Saturday night.

If we win our QF we get the Friday night PF.

We'll play Saturday arvo game for sure. If we beat WCE, they'll play, probably carlton the following Saturday night. WCE 7 day break, carlton 6 day break if they beat Essendon. If we play Friday night and win, WCE get 8 day break, carlton, if, get 6. You all remember who's running the AFL right??

Hawthorn v Geelong Friday night with the loser, playing the following Friday night in the SF. The winner of that SF plays us should we win QF, the following Friday night PF.

If West Coast play Friday Night the Semi Final will be Friday Night.
If West Coast play Saturday Night the Semi Final will be Saturday Night.
In both cases they have a 7 day break and in both cases they will fly home the next day.

The Friday night semi needs to be for the other half of the draw, ie the loser of Gee/Haw v winner of Stk/Syd, because the winner of that semi will play the Friday night Prelim (against C'wood or West Coast). The whole finals series assumes Collingwood will win its QF and get a Friday night prelim (as that would be their right as they are the top side). Have a look at last year's and 2009's finals series as examples.

Therefore, the loser of Coll v WC would play a Saturday semi, thus a Sat night QF won't work for WC.

I would prefer a Saturday day game to attend, but from an advantage point of view how many big Friday night games at the 'G do West Coast play?

Would be very annoying as I would be playing my local footy grand final that day :(

At the moment the permutations are clearer when looking at the overall guidelines.

AFL wants fairly equal gaps in games for all weeks of the finals.
This means that on the whole they will group matches together so that potential finals opponents won't play with an extended rest.

The groups are (1v4)(5v8) and (2v3)(6v7)
Prelim finals aren't exactly taken into account but generally the (2v3) loser will play earlier in the following round than (1v4), because of the advantage winner of (1v4) gets to play the Friday prelim, giving maximum rest to the GF.

There are ratings requirements. The AFL wants to ensure maximum value for the broadcasters. These things matter to the AFL so you must factor it into the equation.

There are ground requirements as well. Thankfully it appears easily managed as (6v7) will now either be played at Etihad or ANZ (or even SCG), but it does mean this match must be played on Saturday to avoid an MCG double-header.

So, subbing (6v7) onto Saturday means two options:

Option 1:
Friday (1v4) MCG
Saturday (5v8) MCG and (6v7) Etihad/ANZ/SCG
Sunday (2v3) MCG

Option 2:
Friday (2v3) MCG
Saturday (6v7) Etihad/ANZ/SCG and (1v4) MCG
Sunday: (5v8) MCG

I'm of the opinion that the Option 2 will be taken, much as it was last season. I would suggest a Saturday NIGHT final.

This will allow WCE to have a week before travelling over to play Collingwood in the final.

It will enable the Collingwood final rather than the Saints/Swans final to be played prime-time, and a very decent lead-in to the news in WA. It means WCE are not playing in the morning WA time which would be diabolical for ratings.

It will ensure no matter what, that the losers of the qualifying finals will have 7 days break at least before playing in their semi final.

It also means that the losers of the QF will have an extra day to prepare than their opponents, which is fair enough.

Therefore, my prediction:
Friday September 9 - Geel v Haw (MCG) 7:40 pm (Ch 7)
Saturday September 10 - StK v Syd (Etihad/ANZ/SCG) 2:40 pm (Ch 10)
Saturday September 10 - Coll v WCE (MCG) 7:20 pm (Ch 10)
Sunday September 11 - Carl v Ess (MCG) 2:10 pm (Ch 7)

This means, we're playing at night ladies and gentlemen. Giddy Up!

You could be right about TV viewers in WA and having a night match. You can never underestimate Demetriou's plans for more money.
You would imagine they would want WCE back to Perth early saturday instead of leaving here at midnight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back