Pies set for Saturday final

Remove this Banner Ad

If West Coast play Friday Night the Semi Final will be Friday Night.
If West Coast play Saturday Night the Semi Final will be Saturday Night.
In both cases they have a 7 day break and in both cases they will fly home the next day.
A Friday night schedule also means WC have a 6 day break coming into the encounter.

Hawthorn v Geelong is solid Friday night fixture and TBH could be a closer encounter.

I think you will find Pies v Eagles will be Friday night or saturday night.
Cant see them playing on a saturday arvo...

You would imagine they would want WCE back to Perth early saturday instead of leaving here at midnight
That's what I was originally thinking as well, but having viewers in Perth on a 3 hour delay could sway things. In saying that 11am isn't such a bad time to watch the football and the AFL won't make or lose money when the game is played on TV, they'd be more concerned about crowd size and giving the teams the best options across the board.

Oh well, I guess when we look at it, any day or time that the game is on isn't going to effect us, only the Eagles. It's a good position to be in not having to worry about it.

SEN reporting that the AFL have spoken to Eddie and stated that if Syd get a home final the Pies will play at Etihad!!!!

That is absolute madness if true.

SEN reporting that the AFL have spoken to Eddie and stated that if Syd get a home final the Pies will play at Etihad!!!!

That is absolute madness if true.

Heard that this morning as well. On the Saturday night. 40,000 pies fans will miss out.

Why would they do that? I thought they only use Etihad if Melbourne have 4 home finals?
Because the AFL are looking at Sydney playing a home final at the SCG (because that Homebush ground is a shit hole) which is only available Friday night or something.

It creates all sorts of havoc if it were to happen which i'm sure it won't.

Maher was shit stirring imho and reporting it had been "discussed" at the AFL, but then back tracked a fair bit as to whether it would actually happen.

Even the SEN boys are up in arms about it, saying that since we are top of the ladder we should at the least get to play at our home ground. As far as interstate teams go West Coast have possibly the most fans in melbourne, combined with Collingwood....what a ridiculous proposition.

Shift the Geelong Hawthorn game i don't care, they didn't make the top of the ladder. Not only is it a disadvantage from an attendance and revenue point of view it's a playing disadvantage as well.

Eddie McGuire on Triple M and Gary Pert on SEN have both said that a Collingwood-West Coast final on Saturday afternoon/night at the MCG has been confirmed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie McGuire on Triple M and Gary Pert on SEN have both said that a Collingwood-West Coast final on Saturday afternoon/night at the MCG has been confirmed.

Can understand the argument about WCE getting an afternoon game rather than a night to facilitate travel later that evening. Not sure if the AFL decides to group matches in the finals to keep participant preparations relatively even.

If it's Geel/Haw (Fri N) v Stk/Syd (Sat D) it is fairly even for preparation as most players struggle to sleep on the Friday night after a match.
Similarly Coll/WCE (Sat N) v Ess/Carl (Sun D) it is fairly even, particularly if WCE travel home that night.

A full extra day's break would occur rather than a half if they were to switch matches. Now I know that this still advantages the QF loser, which it certainly should, but again, all depends on what is highest priority on the AFL list.

As regards an SCG final, well this could easily be sorted by St Kilda beating Carlton. If that occurs, then the game will be at Etihad, no question.

Otherwise, I'm not certain of the booking arrangements of the stadium. From what I can see, there are no sporting events booked for next weekend, and Wests/Manly/St George would likely play their first finals at home, as normally allowed by the NRL. If not, there is the SFS which is a commonly used ground.

My thinking is that the AFL will put Coll v WCE on Saturday night, but there is a 30% chance of it being in the day. I'm pretty well convinced, outside of other factors that really the AFL should have dealt with in negotiations with the NRL and SCG/ANZ, that we are playing on the Saturday first week of finals at the MCG.

Eddie made it clear on triple m this morning that Adrian Anderson has confirmed to him that it will look like this:

Friday Night- Geel v Hawthorn MCG
Saturday arvo- Coll v WCE MCG
Sat Night- StK v Syd (either at Etihad or at SCG/ANZ)
Sunday- Carl v Ess MCG.

Eddie made it clear on triple m this morning that Adrian Anderson has confirmed to him that it will look like this:

Sunday- Carl v Ess MCG.

Pretty much what I expected.

We better get the Friday night Prelim though (assuming we get there).

Because the AFL are looking at Sydney playing a home final at the SCG (because that Homebush ground is a shit hole) which is only available Friday night or something.

It creates all sorts of havoc if it were to happen which i'm sure it won't.

Maher was shit stirring imho and reporting it had been "discussed" at the AFL, but then back tracked a fair bit as to whether it would actually happen.

typical SEN BS story. can just see the morons off the breakfast show sitting around over breakfast right now laughing about how they got the coll fans all worked up. as if coll will be drawn to play at etihad. if anything, geel v haw will be played at etihad if required. last time i checked, geel was a tenant of etihad playing their melb home games there? makes sense to me that they would host a final there is they are the higher finishing of the 2 qualifying finalists

Yep, and SEN were still asking callers to call in about it on Bartlett's show despite Pert having been on only a short time prior basically confirming it will be Saturday a/noon at the MCG.

Dicks!

Sunday- Carl v Ess MCG.
This is the fixture that makes the most sense, the AFL getting it right, who'd have thunk it?

2002 preliminary was out of this world atmosphere wise. Apparently the chants could be heard during the tennis match at rod laver

The atmosphere at this game was amazing, never experienced anything like it since. My favorite sporting memory.

Oh, and I had to laugh at the SEN morning crew trying to make this nothing story into something.

Just be aware that the story is by Kim Hagdorn and does not involve a single quote.

From a WC point of view - a Saturday day game is the ultimate result

If we win, well let's not be too silly... ;)

Should we lose, then we get back to Perth that night and get a full 7 days to recover from what will no doubt be a bruising encounter.

We then get to play Car/Ess off a 6 day break and travel

I know when we played you guys last time, our effort the following week against GC was downright lacklustre.

Wish they'd go back to Saturday arvo/Saturday night prelims.

I agree.

But they might from next year on when only Channel Seven have the free to air rights.

Seven would merely ask for the better drawing game to be played Saturday Night, and they wouldn't be so shattered with not having a Friday Night prelim.

2 FTA TV stations always meant the 2 prelims would be at night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies set for Saturday final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back