Players Performance At The Family Day...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dukes Brian

Debutant
Jul 27, 2007
Your mum's bed...
AFL Club
Geelong
First, apologies if this has already been written about, but I just want to vent and see if others feel the same.

First hand I know what it is like to lose a GF. One that is truly into his footy, it is something that can take some time to get over. Understandable for our boys to feel the same as we all know. To do it on the biggest stage of all, we may never know how it really feels.

However I would just like to say that seeing them all come out on stage at the family day with beers in hand for a total of 5 minutes, was rather disappointing to say the least. Jr and Selwood were the only two that I could see that had different drinks (possibly coffe, water, who knows), but they didnt come out with half drunk Coronas. This is not the best way to portray the club. How hard would it have been to say to them, 'hey, just leve the drinks here, do your thing and then grab them on the way back.

I have also been told from someone who works within the club that the lads had to be coaxed into coming out on stage in the first place. They didn't even want to and were basically told in the end that they had to. Possibly embarrased by the very small crowd, maybe they just didnt want to after the previous days events, all I know is that its not the best.

The events did rub me up the wrong way a little, but no matter what we do love them and we're proud of their achievements and no doubt they will be back in the mix in 2009. Go Cats!

Glad I didn't go for those reasons. Some people would argue that I'm not a real supporter because I didn't go - but those people are full of shit.

Anyway, in '09 I'm considering sponsoring a player...

Yeah it has been discussed in various threads, and the points you have raised are very valid. I guess we just expect better from them, but what's done is done, and I refuse to hate on the group that gave me the best day of my life last year.

Glad I didn't go for those reasons. Some people would argue that I'm not a real supporter because I didn't go - but those people are full of shit.

Anyway, in '09 I'm considering sponsoring a player...

In 09 im considering not sponsering my player cause of the s**t mentioned; theyre petty little children who cant afford 10 minutes for their fans.

I went and i felt worse when i left

Agreed. While the supporter attendance was piss poor, the players efforts were worse.

Would it have hurt to have said something to us. Many people were there from the start. Wasn't a fan of Tom's little dig either. If only they had the ball bomber had. Who IMHO came across like he was genuinely bleeding from it.

Agreed. While the supporter attendance was piss poor, the players efforts were worse.

Would it have hurt to have said something to us. Many people were there from the start. Wasn't a fan of Tom's little dig either. If only they had the ball bomber had. Who IMHO came across like he was genuinely bleeding from it.
What was that mate?

What was that mate?

Billy asked him if he knew they lost and said something like

"I no we lost because there are 20,000 less people here this year." Not so bad on its own, but made no reference to the fans that were there. Talking to a few people after it, they thought it was a bit harsh considering there were people there for them.

I think it's pretty tough for the players in Geelong. Everyone wants a piece of them when they are doing well, but it's the same people that hang shit on them when they aren't. The players aren't robots, and they are bound to take criticism personally. It's pretty tough for them to just forget things that have been said about them when they weren't going so well. It's a two-way street really - if we as fans are able to have a crack at them for playing bad footy, then we can't expect them to do backflips for us all the time.

Sure, on its own this incident looks pretty poor, and the people that made the effort to turn up probably aren't the ones that sling crap when things aren't so rosy, but if you look at it from a wholistic viewpoint, it is slightly understandable.

are u guys serious? u clearly have never played sport at any level and lost a grand final.
i know first hand what its like to be in a Grand final side, lose it, then get back to the club to be pumped up on how good the "season" was...when u are in that position, it makes u feel embarassed, and also you let everyone down.

i wasnt there, but i can nearly guarantee that 80% of the players on stage had their heads pointed at the ground not looking at the supporters they let down bcos of the reasons above.

all i can say is i really hope (and i dont think it will) that we do a port adelaide. its very similar if you think about it...

Port had been there, they prob didnt expect to win, but knew they could beat us (rd 21), they gave themselvs massive chance

cats were never suppose to lose, and beat themselvs by choking inside the 50 on many occasions.

lets hope saturdays events dont scar the cats next season.

PS, sorry about my essay type rant.

I would be pretty suprised if we see a public appearance from the players like this again. There has been a lot of atention and criticism of the club over this, and I think the administration would be well aware of the way it poorly reflects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said Vegas! I think the club dropped the ball on Sunday - the previous 'love in' style and professionalism they had shown on prior occasions was missing. But, I think it was more an oversight than anything - it will be a regret, can't be fixed (just like saturday's result) and we will move on and learn from this - busting for '09!!

Billy asked him if he knew they lost and said something like

"I no we lost because there are 20,000 less people here this year." Not so bad on its own, but made no reference to the fans that were there. Talking to a few people after it, they thought it was a bit harsh considering there were people there for them.

Shit that's shocking. Hopefully the media don't pick up on it.

Wheres the threads about the family btw? I must be blind cos i cant see them

again, I think Harley's remark has been taken the wrong way by people - I don't think he meant it to hurt or have a dig - man, they would be so embarrassed and dirty with themselves about everything that has happened since Saturday - have a think about how you were feeling on Sunday - everything was still very raw...

again, I think Harley's remark has been taken the wrong way by people - I don't think he meant it to hurt or have a dig - man, they would be so embarrassed and dirty with themselves about everything that has happened since Saturday - have a think about how you were feeling on Sunday - everything was still very raw...

When I heard it, that was the context i took it as. However it doesn't sound good when you combine it all. Probably a comment he should have kept to himself imho.

I am appalled that while half of the side played really well, the other half choked in the biggest game of the year

I am appalled that Bomber selected an injured Stokes in the side when there were 100% fit players available in Gamble and Wojinski

I am even more appalled that they thought he could stand up the Norm Smith Medallist in Luke Hodge and didn't make subsequent moves during the game to get us the title

I couldn't give a damn that the boys were drinking beer on a Sunday at the end of the season. It's not illegal

Seriously, you freaks should take a GOOD HARD LOOK AT YOURSELVES

on the day, i found it disappointing for all the young fans that were there that the players didn't at least have a chat for a few minutes.

yes they were hurting, yes they didn't want to be there, but the supporters who were there wanted to show that they were proud of them no matter what.

the least they could of done as professionals was come out and spend 20 minutes with the young fans who idolise these guys.

the drinking thing, not such a big drama. while it would of been ideal to have it in powerade cups, surely they are aloud to drown their sorrows.

the Players Performance's were shocking l know they must of felt like dog shit and there only human.but this is not no country footy team these are well paid players and are coached how to handle the media and to handle them shelf's in a good manner,there Performance on sunday to the fans was a disgrace they spoke to the media say how sorry they were etc the fan were right there at least they could of said "were sorry thanks for your support" and then the next day there all smiles all dressed up having there mad monday some of these players are all for them selfs

Ahh, the wheels are well and truly falling off aren't they?

Be interesting to see if the players bounce back next year. We as supporters should do our best to get behind them, lets avoid letting our club fall into the doldrums like it did for 44 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players Performance At The Family Day...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back