Players who were missed in the National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

nickh32

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Who are the players that surprised you the most by not getting drafted?

Few that come to mind for me are

Dayle Garlett- word was he might get passed on but thought a club would take the plunge at the end.

Tom fields- thought essendon would pick him up as we don't have a rookie spot for him and went for another tall instead.

Sam Colquhoun - didn't think he would last past early 3rd round.

Who are some others that you know of?

Nick Rodda, Jack Hannath, Andrew Boston, Jason Pongracic, Sam Lowrie, Jarrod Lienert, Anthony Tipungwuti, Marvin Warrell, Sean Lynch, Cameron Banfield, Leigh Osborne, Jacob Ballard

out of Juzzo's pack Lowrie is the one that really shocks me.
Would have had no qualms using 34 on him. Someone's going to get a jet either in the Pre-season or rookie drafts, or in next season's draft after he destroys a state league

out of Juzzo's pack Lowrie is the one that really shocks me.
Would have had no qualms using 34 on him. Someone's going to get a jet either in the Pre-season or rookie drafts, or in next season's draft after he destroys a state league

This is what im thinking. I don't expect him to go in the Rookie draft now.

Once he's played well enough into get his running and kicking game at state league level and stays injury free then he should attract some attention.

Makes for a beauty of a PSD and Rookie drafts. Some decent players not picked up. Am absolutely shocked at no Colquhoun and Pongracic.

Never bought into the hype, same with Boston. Better players also went undrafted.
One of the most insightful posts I have read re: draft hopefuls. Clubs also thought the same. Some others mentioned above are also over rated. Watch for the kids not listed anywhere on here to feature in PSD and Rookie Drafts......................

Haynes, Colquhoun, Tipungwuti, Pongracic, Garlett. I would have been happy if Richmond took any of them at 42
Have you seen any live or are you basing this off BF phantoms? Each year BF has massive sliders and each year they dont' get picked up because there are better players who are less heralded.

Colquhoun and Garlett were projected to go in the first round, Garlett might be understandable considering his behavioural issues but Colquhoun is a real surprise, possibly because he doesn't win enough of his own ball?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen any live or are you basing this off BF phantoms? Each year BF has massive sliders and each year they dont' get picked up because there are better players who are less heralded.

Spot on. Most posters havn't seen these kids play. There calls are made on regional/area bias, names thrown up in print media, or simply names pulled out of arses heard second and third hand. I Have seen one of these 'sliders' play three times this year and performance to put it mildly was underwhelming. Clubs are not stupid, they do there homework.

I've seen Colquhoun, Garlett and Haynes live. And I admit the other ones are just from BF. Colquhoun gets a load of touches, averaged about 28 at the champs and disposed well. Garlett seems a good player but I know he didn't get drafted due to off field issues. I don't know what he did but was it that bad?

I've seen Colquhoun, Garlett and Haynes live. And I admit the other ones are just from BF. Colquhoun gets a load of touches, averaged about 28 at the champs and disposed well. Garlett seems a good player but I know he didn't get drafted due to off field issues. I don't know what he did but was it that bad?
Colquhoun has ?s because he's very small, and got no hard ball in the champs, didn't display an ability to win his own ball in the U18s in SA. Good decision maker in space, but can he be effective defensively, can he find his own ball and can he be effective under AFL pressure?
Garlett's problems start at that ridiculous picture he posted and continue to what he doesn't post.
I'm not gonna bag out Haynes because he's a decent chap, but I wouldn't pick.

Colquhoun has ?s because he's very small, and got no hard ball in the champs, didn't display an ability to win his own ball in the U18s in SA. Good decision maker in space, but can he be effective defensively, can he find his own ball and can he be effective under AFL pressure?
There's an article on the AFL website with quotes from Colquhoun's coach saying it could be his fault as he instructed Colquhoun to play as a spare man at the end of the year:

"That was partly my doing I suppose," Phillips said of Colquhoun getting the cold shoulder.

"We set him up as a loose defender and I thought the question might have been his ability to be really accountable and stand somebody one-on-one … but Centrals do play a very one-on-one brand of football and I always referred them back to that."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151637/default.aspx

was really suprised with garlett that didn't get picked up, even with a late pick
but otherwize was a bit suprised jake calvert & nick rodda didn't get picked up

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who were missed in the National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back