Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally, that pesky trade period has finished
It's been 2.5 hours and still no 4-round phantom draft yet?

Oh Come On GIF

Seeing though matteas phillipou was only eligible for last years draft by a couple of days, if he was born a few days later and was in this years draft pool, where would you see him ranked amongst this years crop?

Hey PM, You seem like someone who knows a thing or two.

Question 1: Can the Hawks trade their current first (pick 4) and their future 1st with only a F2 and no F3? Some say no, others say yes.

Question 2: do you have the rule book and if so can you share it?

Why is this information not easily and redeable available?

Control?

Question 1: Can the Hawks trade their current first (pick 4) and their future 1st with only a F2 and no F3? Some say no, others say yes.

Control?
If you get a F3 back in the trade, then it should be allowed.

Finding any drafting rules online is next to impossible.

However Twomey has explained these rules many times on his podcast and online.

Basic rule is, if you want to trade your future first, you must hold a future second, future third and future fourth round picks.

However the AFL relaxed the rule on holding a future fourth round pick this year.

The future picks don’t have to be your own future picks. They can have been traded in from any team.

If you get a F3 back in the trade, then it should be allowed.

Finding any drafting rules online is next to impossible.

However Twomey has explained these rules many times on his podcast and online.

Basic rule is, if you want to trade your future first, you must hold a future second, future third and future fourth round picks.

However the AFL relaxed the rule on holding a future fourth round pick this year.

The future picks don’t have to be your own future picks. They can have been traded in from any team.
I greatly appreciate your info briztoon

If the Hawks get a F3rd back, then the Hawks can trade their current 1st and f1st.

I still do not see the rule that makes this so.

Why are the AFL allowed to not tell us the rules?

It's been 2.5 hours and still no 4-round phantom draft yet?

Oh Come On GIF
🙄
Seeing though matteas phillipou was only eligible for last years draft by a couple of days, if he was born a few days later and was in this years draft pool, where would you see him ranked amongst this years crop?
He'd be around 5 or 6 for me, but I could see him being the second live Pick behind Reid as well

Control?
No
No
Doubt its a control thing, mostly just laziness

🙄

He'd be around 5 or 6 for me, but I could see him being the second live Pick behind Reid as well

No
No
Doubt its a control thing, mostly just laziness
… not allowing everyone to know the rules is not lazy…

Cheers PMBangers, you can tell me the rule but not direct me to the actual rule…

my search goes on.

Last edited:
… not allowing everyone to know the rules is not lazy…

Cheers PMBangers, you can tell me the rule but not direct me to the actual rule…

my search goes on.
Talk with Lore - she has pulled together a lot of info (from various sources, including AFL but also media sources). I would point you to a thread in this forum, in which she has pulled together a lot of information related to the broad topic:

including the following info on the question that you're asking:

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...3aff/AFL-Rules-effective-16-February-2021.pdf

Future Pick Trading

Trading of future picks is further restricted by a Determination on Future Pick Trading from the AFL General Counsel. While we do not have access to this document, media reports suggest that there are two main components to these rules:
  1. Clubs may not trade out all of their picks in the following year’s draft. They may either trade out of the first round, or trade out of the subsequent rounds. If they trade back into the first round, they will again be allowed to trade picks from the subsequent rounds of the draft.

2. Clubs must use two first round picks in the four national drafts prior to the current trade period. The penalty for not doing this is a ban on trading out any first round picks, unless another one is traded back in first.
Discussion here
That's probably the best you are going to get given the inadequate information promulgated by the AFL.

Control?

You will need to direct your query to the Information Minister at the Ministry of Truth at AFL House.

Hey PM,

What are the chances Wilson or Windsor are available for the Saints at 13 (17, thanks GC)?

Also, do you think the Saints would need to use our first pick to get Charlie Edwards?

Hey PM,

What are the chances Wilson or Windsor are available for the Saints at 13 (17, thanks GC)?

Also, do you think the Saints would need to use our first pick to get Charlie Edwards?
I'd be disappointed if Wilson was.

Hey PMBangers how similar are Archer Reid and Tom Gillett (Lions academy tall for 2024)?

Are they that close in talent that you would overlook Archer Reid at the Lions first pick this year, or would you still take Reid if he was the best available KPP on board at our first pick this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my extensive research of spending 5 minutes reading the latest Cal Twomey player rankings I have decided the Swans should get either Ollie Murphy or Harry DeMattia, leaning towards DeMattia as he has a better name and better hair.

Both provide a real need for the Swans, and there seems to be a good chance at least one will be available at our pick.
You just summed up every big footy posters approach to draft night

Hey PM,

I think Wilson and Windsor are going to be seen as the first cabs off the rank after that top 8 group, so Essendon, Adelaide and Sydney are going to be looking at both pretty intently I imagine

Hard to say, he's certainly got first round interest and you do run a risk by backing him to slide to 21, but is he really someone you'd take over say DeMattia if faced with a choice between the two?

Hey PMBangers how similar are Archer Reid and Tom Gillett (Lions academy tall for 2024)?

Are they that close in talent that you would overlook Archer Reid at the Lions first pick this year, or would you still take Reid if he was the best available KPP on board at our first pick this year?
🤷‍♀️, really only took note if him in the futures games and it's hard to gauge a comparison based on that, Reid was performing better in the 18s champs last year than Gillet did this year, but you shouldn't be skipping a player just because you 'might' have a better academy prospect next season, too many players drop off the radar in their 18th year to make the risk worth it

I think Wilson and Windsor are going to be seen as the first cabs off the rank after that top 8 group, so Essendon, Adelaide and Sydney are going to be looking at both pretty intently I imagine

Hard to say, he's certainly got first round interest and you do run a risk by backing him to slide to 21, but is he really someone you'd take over say DeMattia if faced with a choice between the two?

🤷‍♀️, really only took note if him in the futures games and it's hard to gauge a comparison based on that, Reid was performing better in the 18s champs last year than Gillet did this year, but you shouldn't be skipping a player just because you 'might' have a better academy prospect next season, too many players drop off the radar in their 18th year to make the risk worth it
Thanks 👍
I like Wilson, Windsor, DeMattia and Edwards in that order. But my ingrained St Kilda pessimism means I’m preparing for every mid I like to be off the board by 17

There seems to be a lot of ruckmen around Richmonds first pick (Green, Gould, Mitch Edwards), and an inbetweener in Archer Reid. Do any of the 200cm+ guys have an ability to play forward, or will it ultimately be an aspect of their games that the clubs will have to develop (if any of them have that scope).

There seems to be a lot of ruckmen around Richmonds first pick (Green, Gould, Mitch Edwards), and an inbetweener in Archer Reid. Do any of the 200cm+ guys have an ability to play forward, or will it ultimately be an aspect of their games that the clubs will have to develop (if any of them have that scope).
Edwards is really the only one with somewhat decent exposed form up forward, but even he has a way to go in terms of his development there, particularly if you envisioned him as mostly a forward that pinched hit in the ruck, whilst Green sees himself as someone that can rest forward but hasn't really had exposure there. For Green, I don't think he'd be super impactful as a forward regardless given he's not quick so would struggle getting meaningful separation on a lead, but if all you needed was someone to have a Lachie Keeffe style impact he'd manage that well

Goad I don't think has it in him, physically he ticks the right boxes but he's so new to footy that his full attention should be on developing his ruck craft and general reading of the game, you could argue it's easier to do the latter of that by playing in a different position but I don't see it as worth the effort

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back