Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As this thread draws to a close Bangers, any final thoughts on players you're happy with in regards to progress and players who've disappointed you in declining games?
Oh I'm just happy seeing kids give it a crack redman!

PMBangers I wanted to ask you, is the consensus top 10 of this years draft clear of the 2018 top 10. My honest opinion I feel it does. Pretty bold claim but Reid is better than Walsh in their respective draft years, Walter is slightly better than Ben and Max King, Watson vs Rankine is very debatable. Curtin vs Blakey have similar attributes, Sanders and Bailey Smith although different profile of midfielders, are probably similar in regards to rankings of where they are expected to land on draft night. Thomas is probably better than Caddy, COS is already a better player than Jones lool. Duursma is better than Rozee at the same age.

Interesting, put up some good performances but doesn't have a lot that screams 'draft me', but for a rookie pick I guess you're happy taking players you see being decent depth
We're using both of our rookie picks on Hamill and Borlase, and won't have any other list spots, so I don't see it happening. Only chance is if another team snaps one of them up before us.

PMBangers I wanted to ask you, is the consensus top 10 of this years draft clear of the 2018 top 10. My honest opinion I feel it does. Pretty bold claim but Reid is better than Walsh in their respective draft years, Walter is slightly better than Ben and Max King, Watson vs Rankine is very debatable. Curtin vs Blakey have similar attributes, Sanders and Bailey Smith although different profile of midfielders, are probably similar in regards to rankings of where they are expected to land on draft night. Thomas is probably better than Caddy, COS is already a better player than Jones lool. Duursma is better than Rozee at the same age.
Fairly even using the consensus rankings, or rather Twomeys rankings for both

Reid > Walsh
Walter > Lukosius
Duursma < Rankine
McKercher = King, at least in terms of talent imo, but think King would be prefered as a KPP
Watson = Smith
Curtin = Rozee
Sanders < B. King
Caddy < Blakey
Read > Caldwell
O'Sullivan > Clark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions are getting linked to Dawson at the moment seems perfect for the Roos at one of those later first round picks though looks like he plays that McKay role perfectly
He's certainly a good one to have developing in the background for a club that won't have a need to use him early, but personally I couldnt validate picking him over Murphy if they're both available for the Roos

He's certainly a good one to have developing in the background for a club that won't have a need to use him early, but personally I couldnt validate picking him over Murphy if they're both available for the Roos
It seems like Murphy's combine results have made some folks quite apprehensive about him?

On one hand, 6.18 for 2km is pretty respectable.

On the other, his 20m and agility tests were reportedly quite bad.

“Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
185 cm 86 kg
Sandringham Dragons
Midfielder

I guess the main concerns around Sanders have been his ability to drive his legs out of the contest, and whether there's much development left in him physically given he's already at his AFL playing weight/ size, they're fair concerns, but I think the worst case scenario for Sanders at the next level is still a 200 game midfielder.”

This is the lad for me that is most likely to slide.
I think teams will overlook junior production for speed and in my opinion this kid just isn’t going to have the speed that will be conducive to winning footy at afl level.

I can see sanders slipping to the second round.

185 cm 86 kg
Sandringham Dragons
Midfielder

I guess the main concerns around Sanders have been his ability to drive his legs out of the contest, and whether there's much development left in him physically given he's already at his AFL playing weight/ size, they're fair concerns, but I think the worst case scenario for Sanders at the next level is still a 200 game midfielder.”

I think teams will overlook junior production for speed and in my opinion this kid just isn’t going to have the speed that will be conducive to winning footy at afl level.

No chance he slips past Essendon.

It seems like Murphy's combine results have made some folks quite apprehensive about him?

On one hand, 6.18 for 2km is pretty respectable.

On the other, his 20m and agility tests were reportedly quite bad.
Yep
185 cm 86 kg
Sandringham Dragons
Midfielder

I'll delete my bigfooty account if Sanders doesn't go first round

185 cm 86 kg
Sandringham Dragons
Midfielder

No way Sanders slips past us at 8 or 9 or 10 whatever we will be.

Mackie has already said he is first choice if he's there.

Caddy or O'Sullivan or whoever else is just the backup plan if Sanders is already taken.

I'm curious - why do you regard Murphy as more of a sure thing than Dawson?

Isn't the 20m thing a pretty big concern for OM's ability to match elite KPFs at the top level?
I wonder how Murphy's results compare to Weitering? Sam Collins?

If your positioning is good and you're smart enough to cut angles, you can be a very good KPD even without elite legspeed.
It's AFL, not CrossFit.

I'll delete my bigfooty account if Sanders doesn't go first round
Clearly you’ve got far better knowledge then I on these recruits, and I think you do a fantastic job with it.

Personally I see him being this years Matthew Johnson. I think clubs are shying away from drafting bigger bodied mids early that have shown they arent able to break away from contests and cause teams headaches.

From viewings I’ve had of sanders, I’m not seeing a great deal of speed and this is only going to become more and more of a problem as his career progresses and where the game is heading.

I'm curious - why do you regard Murphy as more of a sure thing than Dawson?

Isn't the 20m thing a pretty big concern for OM's ability to match elite KPFs at the top level?
Dawsons 20m wasn't much better to be fair, so if that's the main concern someone has it's not enough to be a determining factor.

I also think Murphy's got him pipped for ball use and accumulation pretty comfortably as well
Clearly you’ve got far better knowledge then I on these recruits, and I think you do a fantastic job with it.

Personally I see him being this years Matthew Johnson. I think clubs are shying away from drafting bigger bodied mids early that have shown they arent able to break away from contests and cause teams headaches.

From viewings I’ve had of sanders, I’m not seeing a great deal of speed and this is only going to become more and more of a problem as his career progresses and where the game is heading.
I've said it before but Sanders raw 20m sprint testing is actually decent, not elite but still top 30 odd percent for this class, so it's not so much an issue with his speed in my eyes but just a part of his development to help improve his ability to drive the legs out of contest.

And then it's a matter of what role you see him playing, guys like Mitchell, Libba, Wines pre-injury have shown that's there's still a place for first possession winners with elite hands through congestion. No club is picking him to be a line breaking outside mid

I wonder how Murphy's results compare to Weitering? Sam Collins?

If your positioning is good and you're smart enough to cut angles, you can be a very good KPD even without elite legspeed.
It's AFL, not CrossFit.
A google suggests Weitering tested 3.04 for 20m in the combine. Someone posted on the North forum that Murphy's was 3.315.

Take your point that elite speed is not the be all and end all. But surely part of the combine's purpose is to identify these sorts of limitations so they can be factored into draft board valuations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back