Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Edward Allen play footy or is he more an "athlete with potential" type?
He's got some things to like about his game for sure, and I can see the appeal for taking him but personally he's not a top 30 prospect for me. Doesn't show his burst on field a lot, especially out of congestion where I assume clubs will be wanting him to turn into a bit of a Cripps style big bodied bull, so without the application of that athleticism, and a lacking contested game currently, to me it's more an 'upside' pick if a club does take him in the top 20.

Naturally with the athleticism though, if he ends up at a club particularly good at developing their youngsters game, like Sydney for example, I could see him being a really good piece for them. So I guess it's a bit of both really

At the risk of playing into this, and noting there is some connection to whether teams trade picks between 2022 and 2023 drafts …

PMBangers if the 2023 draft order was locked today (so you didn’t have to worry about how teams performed next year) and GWS had pick #1, what would you need on top of pick #2 to trade out that selection.

Just trying to get a feel for the gap you see between Reid vs Moir at this stage and level of conviction noting kids like Lemmey and Scully have shown how hard it can be to project 6-12 months out.

On top of Pick 2? I'd probably want a pick between 5-10 and would be willing to give an extra second round back for it, third rounder if it was after say Pick 8. I'm certainly not in a unique position here when I say I really like Harley Reid, have done for 18 months now, but the idea of bringing in Moir and then someone in that 5-10 range like Duursma, Lorenz, Archer Reid, Caddy, etc. would be hard to pass up. I think just due to lack of exposure at the Champs Moir isn't spoken about as highly as the Vic kids like Reid, Duursma, Watson, etc. but I think he's every bit as exciting as Reid currently.

Hopefully he gets more of a go through the midfield next season, I've really liked him in there when he's gotten the chance, but I can understand coaches seeing it as 'robbing peter to play paul' when he's so good up forward

IMO no one is close to Reid at this stage. However, i think in 2023 we will see some of the current top 10-15 get midfield opportunities that they didnt have in 2022. i believe this will launch some players closer to Reid and will bypass some others. Moir could be one of those...when he's on he's a very watchable player. I don't recall Moir playing in the futures game, I know he was in the initial squad though.

IMO no one is close to Reid at this stage. However, i think in 2023 we will see some of the current top 10-15 get midfield opportunities that they didnt have in 2022. i believe this will launch some players closer to Reid and will bypass some others. Moir could be one of those...when he's on he's a very watchable player. I don't recall Moir playing in the futures game, I know he was in the initial squad though.
Harley Reid is going to be a special player. No doubt.
However the player I would take above every other is the other Reid… Archer. Will make a very promising key fwd.Has all the tool great mark, brilliant goal sense, agility, good with ground balls.

A lot will change over 12 months with these kids.
Players will fly up and down the order.
This time last year this draft was supposed to be a goldmine for talls.
It's not any more.

From the vision I've seen, he does have a neat sidestep. I expect a club will draft him and back their development program in

A lot will change over 12 months with these kids.
Players will fly up and down the order.
This time last year this draft was supposed to be a goldmine for talls.
It's not any more.
Talls always take time to develop so I'm not too concerned. Maybe this is a class that develops at 21-22 and turns out to be stronger than expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if Will Ashcroft didn't win the Rising Star award and it went to someone from the 2021 draft class. Ashcroft is a good player no doubt and certainly a contender but a lot can happen between now and next year's awards season.

Talls always take time to develop so I'm not too concerned. Maybe this is a class that develops at 21-22 and turns out to be stronger than expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if Will Ashcroft didn't win the Rising Star award and it went to someone from the 2021 draft class. Ashcroft is a good player no doubt and certainly a contender but a lot can happen between now and next year's awards season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sam Darcy was a strong contender. He’s played three or four and shown some ridiculous if raw talent.

I think it'd take a brave club to select him after two major knee injuries that isn't Essendon

I think there is a reasonable chance they will look at him late.

Ashcroft will be playing a role next year, not carrying the expectations of his club.

From the 2021 draft class Darcy Wilmott could be a decent chance.

Late bolter?

NAB AFL STATE DRAFT COMBINE (PERTH)​

Standing Vertical Jump
1. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 76cm
2. Griff Julian (West Perth) – 74
3. Josh Draper (Peel Thunder) – 70

Running Vertical Jump
1. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 95cm
2. Conrad Williams (Claremont) – 89
3. Josh Draper (Peel Thunder) – 87

Agility
1. Toby McQuilkin (South Fremantle) - 7.800 seconds
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 7.871
3. Kaleb Smith (East Fremantle) – 8.052

20m Sprint
1. Kaleb Smith (East Fremantle) – 2.881 seconds
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 2.911
3. Griff Julian (West Perth) – 2.994

2km Time Trial
1. Toby McQuilkin (South Fremantle) – 6:40 minutes
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 6:41
3. Conrad Williams (Claremont) – 6:42

Late bolter?

Standing Vertical Jump

Running Vertical Jump

Agility

20m Sprint

2km Time Trial
Were there only 7 kids in attendance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a heap of exposed form until late in the season, but what he was showing certainly did raise the interest levels. Considering a kid with his size was playing in the midfield at points in time, that is very exciting and if he actually learns to use his speed to spread from a contest, he could be very dangerous.

I have a feeling, he can play that defensive winger role. Reminds me a little of Ballard as a junior, I loved him on the wing and floating around the HBF.

Late bolter?

Standing Vertical Jump

Running Vertical Jump

Agility

20m Sprint

2km Time Trial
Futbolista will be most pleased 😂

Kyle Marshall (198cm KPD/ruck) smoking the SA combine has to put him in the late pick/development player category now.

6:27 2km time trial (3rd)
3.016s 20m sprint (2nd)
68cm standing vertical jump (2nd)
1st in both running vertical jumps (89cm left hand, 85cm right hand)

We've drafted a few of those.

View attachment 1538813
kyle-marshall-of-south-australia-reacts-during-the-u18-afl-boys-sa-picture-id1405156820

Kyle Marshall (198cm KPD/ruck) smoking the SA combine has to put him in the late pick/development player category now.

6:27 2km time trial (3rd)
3.016s 20m sprint (2nd)
68cm standing vertical jump (2nd)
1st in both running vertical jumps (89cm left hand, 85cm right hand)
Far out, that's impressive! I'd be 30cm off that at least...And that's jumping with my legs :p

And then just some general tidbits about this years draft;
  • I was fortunate enough to speak to a few higher ups at the NAB league Boys testing day and everyone was pretty unanimous in agreeing that this is a high standard draft year in their minds, and naturally there's a lot of excitement for the talls in this crop
  • This led to clubs being very relucant to part with their 2022 First Rounders which is why we probably didn't see as much pick trading as we expected at the draft
  • The Country and Metro hubs are still 'open' in a sense, they expect to invite quite a few players to trainings when they happen just from them popping up through the season
PMBangers you stated that recruiters were excited for this draft and it was a high standard one, but it now seems clubs are wanting out and are claiming it is a shallow one.

What happened across the year to cause such a huge shift in opinion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back