Port Adelaide lose by 3 points after a wrong Goal Review against the Crows in the dying stages

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly went through the goals from the vision I just saw on TV. Whether it hit the post you can't tell from the vision.

The problem with the goal review is that the ball can be kicked from so many parts of the ground that having a camera in just the right position isn't always possible.

Hot spot would probably do it, but you still need multiple cameras with the technology.

I haven't seen any footage that removed doubt. Is there another angle?
Half time in the Syd Coll game shows the ball spin changing clearly on hitting the post.
Normal speed real time the ball clearly deviates.
Jenkins (who quite rightly left it to the umpires to get it right) says to a teammate "post" 5 sec later.

Well spoken by someone who's team is the most favoured in the AFL by a fair margin for 4 years now.

Didnt know we have to be TWO goals up to win a game just in case of goal review f-ups. Like Ken said, lets hope it doesnt happen GF day.
And this is coming from a Pies support who has seen two Grand finals TAKEN from us with controversial calls.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

posterbig.gif

Somebody explain how a camera in this position (note the position of the goal umpire and the posts) could show this obviously going in front of the post and be wrong? Where is this camera? How could it show this?

To me this camera is located somewhere near the flank, opposite side of the ground to where it was kicked. I think people are assuming its front on which is where most of the confusion lies. The kick started near where the 2 players heads can be seen which can show the proper trajectory.

Wow! After seeing the replay RU put up and zooming in the ball.most definitely passed the wrong side of the post. And clipped it too Id say. either way that was an absolute shocker.

I'm gonna bring out my inner Mugato here and say "i feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" Why do people keep seeing the ball passing through the point? To me it very clearly passes through the goal, regardless of whether it hit the post or not. What are people seeing in this replay? It's like that blue/gold dress all over again!

The big issue is how they took 3 seconds using the worst camera angle available to make the review. In such a close game right at the end. If they took a bit longer and checked 2-3 different angles and couldn't be sure enough to overturn it, fine whatever. This is just embarassing all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gonna bring out my inner Mugato here and say "i feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" Why do people keep seeing the ball passing through the point? To me it very clearly passes through the goal, regardless of whether it hit the post or not. What are people seeing in this replay? It's like that blue/gold dress all over again!
They are watching the vision in reverse. The right to left replay in front of the post is actually on rewind, if you watch it on forward direction the ball goes left to right in front of post through the goals.

How old are you? I hope youre not above the age or 12 and still think that umpires for whatever reason 'favour' teams. Grow up. Richmond are almost dead last in free kicks yet they're one of the best teams going around. How can you explain that? Instead of blaming umpires how about you hold your own team accountable. Port had 4 quarters to kick a higher score than Adelaide and they didnt. End. Of. Story.

Are you happy and comfortable that the decision was incompetent? Rushed? Missing views and camera angles that might of helped make the clearly correct decision? You clearly have low standards. You should apply for a video reviewers job.

And that Port Adelaide HAD a higher score than Adelaide before that decision means nothing either?

But the reviewer did NOT look at all the footage available. If they did, then it would have been overturned no doubt.
Yeah that was my only issue. Very quick review. The slow motions were inconclusive but you could see the ball clearly deviate from one angle at normal speed. Jenkins knows it hit the post. Not worth debating, that's footy. Overall the umpiring wasn't too bad. If you had a bad heart then showdowns should be avoided.
The score review system is flawed. I worked as an editor and cameras do lie. They probably need a Hawkeye type system if they want it to be a 100%. I certainly have a lot more respect for Jenkins, he copped a lot of flak and his 2018 season has been very good & he seems like a top bloke too.

Last edited:
They are watching the vision in reverse. The right to left replay in front of the post is actually on rewind, if you watch it on forward direction the ball goes left to right in front of post through the goals.

Oh I get it now. They are wrong but at least I see why they are wrong. Thanks!

Are you happy and comfortable that the decision was incompetent? Rushed? Missing views and camera angles that might of helped make the clearly correct decision? You clearly have low standards. You should apply for a video reviewers job.

And that Port Adelaide HAD a higher score than Adelaide before that decision means nothing either?
I believe the ball hit the post cleanly. What would the difference be if that goal was called in the middle of the 2nd quarter? Port still had 2 mins to get a goal and they didnt. Tough shit. Whining about isnt going to change that. It just makes you look like a child crying for a happy meal.

The big issue is how they took 3 seconds using the worst camera angle available to make the review. In such a close game right at the end. If they took a bit longer and checked 2-3 different angles and couldn't be sure enough to overturn it, fine whatever. This is just embarassing all round.
What the broadcaster shows and what the goal review people look at are often two totally different things. They did a segment earlier this year showing that.

Well as far as I can tell from looking at the footage Jenkins is left of screen from the goals when he kicks and the ball ends up further right of screen in the crowd. If it passes in front of the goals like in the pic you posted it at least went through the goals (whether it hit the post or not).

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide lose by 3 points after a wrong Goal Review against the Crows in the dying stages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back