Autopsy Port defeat Freo by some margin idk anyway the season's over

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton comes in for Walters. Sturt and Switta along with Voss were our only decent forwards yesterday and that was one of Sturts weaker games. You don't write someone off after one below par game..Our forward line was a shambles and the kicking into the forwardline was a disgrace
Sturt was shocking and showed a lack of intent. He is a great kick, but in a game like that couldn’t get enough of it as he isn’t physical enough. He should be a far better pressure fwd as he has speed, but we never see it.

Whilst I wouldn’t go that far. Reid’s showed his limitations compared to Darcy. Once the ball hits the ground after the tap, he may as well walk off the ground. Unfortunately at AFL level in 2024, he also doesn’t win enough of the taps to justify this lack of ground presence.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens if Darcy is out next year for some games. I think there are times where Reidy will certainly do but still don’t think he’s an automatic inclusion
Reidy’s played 2 AFL games and against top 8 teams with both games played like finals.
I’d be more worried about Jackson’s game.
That and the MC keep playing their favourites with no accountability and loss
of form?
This argument was probably used on Meek, and others to fit the narrative.
Not surprising that feedback and an appetite to improve can counter natural lazy
talent.

Until I read this I thought the only person in the world who had purple in both eyes was Gene Pitney.
Confused Little Girl GIF

Reidy’s played 2 AFL games and against top 8 teams with both games played like finals.
I’d be more worried about Jackson’s game.
That and the MC keep playing their favourites with no accountability and loss
of form?
This argument was probably used on Meek, and others to fit the narrative.
Not surprising that feedback and an appetite to improve can counter natural lazy
talent.
Its not so much the teams Reidy has played against, its his opponent like Sweet, average ruckman at best who looked like an All Australian against Reidy.

That 3rd miss in the last was vital he kicks that we hit the lead and the crowd would have gone apeshit.

I felt in hindsight if we did the front in the last I reckon we win with the home crowd.

We just couldn't hit the lead and mentally just kept Port focused enough to keep pushing and us at bay

Would we have though? This is exactly what happened in the Geelong game, Serong kicked a great goal early in the last to put us in front.

We then went into a holding pattern where we treaded water for 15 minutes, not really looking to press or put them away and Geelong seized the moment and overran us.

There is no killer instinct in them. It's like Longmuir tells them to go into 'save the game' mode as soon as we hit the front.

Would we have though? This is exactly what happened in the Geelong game, Serong kicked a great goal early in the last to put us in front.

We then went into a holding pattern where we treaded water for 15 minutes, not really looking to press or put them away and Geelong seized the moment and overran us.

There is no killer instinct in them. It's like Longmuir tells them to go into 'save the game' mode as soon as we hit the front.
Hitting the front when you're on top for a period is vital for momentum in those latter stages. Particularly with a team short on hardened experience.

In the Geelong game, Alex Pearce, with his bulk and experience is almost guaranteed to kill that ball Dangerfield marks & goals from. Whereas Draper's size and inexperience has him unable to impact.

It's a stage of development thing.

Hitting the front when you're on top for a period is vital for momentum in those latter stages. Particularly with a team short on hardened experience.

In the Geelong game, Alex Pearce, with his bulk and experience is almost guaranteed to kill that ball Dangerfield marks & goals from. Whereas Draper's size and inexperience has him unable to impact.

It's a stage of development thing.

There are always going to be moments like the Dangerfield one where the oppo generates good looks, whether Pearce is there or not. You're right maybe Pearce impacts that particular one.

But it's an intent thing with us, we generated barely any looks after we hit the front from Serong's goal, at least I can't remember any. That's method, not talent or stage of development.

There are always going to be moments like the Dangerfield one where the oppo generates good looks, whether Pearce is there or not. You're right maybe Pearce impacts that particular one.

But it's an intent thing with us, we generated barely any looks after we hit the front from Serong's goal, at least I can't remember any. That's method, not talent or stage of development.
When you're behind on the scoreboard late in a game, possessing the ball becomes much more of a weapon for the opposition.

Maybe we are more susceptible to the pressure of the scoreboard/game stage, which may also be an age thing.

Against GWS, we were dominating territory and getting good looks at the goals deep into the last quarter. We were defending GWS forays forward well too. But as soon as that 50m handed them a goal and a half buffer, with minutes to go, GWS could go much harder at shutting the game down and we had to take more risks, which made turning the ball over all the more likely. Essentially, unless we were perfect, all the sting went out of it.

I think Chapman has pretty aggressive intent off the halfback line. Wagner too, albeit with less effectiveness. There's room for both of them to improve across an off season.

I also like the aggressive mindset O'Driscoll brought to the midfield when he came in on the GWS game.

What do you expect,both Longmuir and Graham were both coached by Simpson.

Sturt was shocking and showed a lack of intent. He is a great kick, but in a game like that couldn’t get enough of it as he isn’t physical enough. He should be a far better pressure fwd as he has speed, but we never see it.

His speed and fitness is clearly hampered by whatever leg/knee injury he has been carrying this year. There is upside for the future if he can get over that. And 13 touches and 1.1 from someone in his role is acceptable as far as getting "enough of it".

There was also a mark (which would have been a goal) he took at the start of the 2nd, but was paid for push in the back. They never showed a replay during the TV coverage (which I am just watching), but they showed one on the big screen at the game and it was a massive swan dive from his opponent. Look at how easily Bergman holds his ground 30 seconds later in another contest. You can hear the groan in the background as the replay goes up while a Port player is kicking in from a behind after that contest. Sturt touched him, but it was the holding the ground type of touch which is usually allowed.

Other than Switta and Voss in patches the whole forward line was shocking and showed a lack of intent. Sturt had an excellent game the week before and was probably our best forward. And while he showed lack of composure imo, rather than lack of intent, in the game against Port, he should be a long way from being first out of our forward line. Bolton will be replacing our small forward, not our medium one. If we manage to recruit two or three medium forwards that are good enough to force out Freddie, Voss and Sturt and sometimes even Switta then that's unbelievably good but it isn't going to happen for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have another look mate.

We've forgotten just how good he was and have been gaslit into believing he's somehow deficient because JOM/Fyfe.

Yeah I have to say I find the discourse on here bizzare, gaslit is a good word but I think people have invented a convenient narrative to explain it because the alternative is that JL and the selection panel have serious deficiencies in the way they view and select players.

He doesn't defend - well ok how do you explain the tackle numbers

He's too slow/unfit - ok I mean clearly he's faster than players like JOM or Fyfe, similar TOG% too.

He's too limited - the only one I can really understand but I think it pales in comparison to what he can achieve, i.e. most clearances, most contested posessions, second most tackles and inside 50s.

Eye test he adds something to the midfield and he'd be our biggest midfielder sans the corpse of Nathan Fyfe.

Yeah I have to say I find the discourse on here bizzare, gaslit is a good word but I think people have invented a convenient narrative to explain it because the alternative is that JL and the selection panel have serious deficiencies in the way they view and select players.

He doesn't defend - well ok how do you explain the tackle numbers

He's too slow/unfit - ok I mean clearly he's faster than players like JOM or Fyfe, similar TOG% too.

He's too limited - the only one I can really understand but I think it pales in comparison to what he can achieve, i.e. most clearances, most contested posessions, second most tackles and inside 50s.

Eye test he adds something to the midfield and he'd be our biggest midfielder sans the corpse of Nathan Fyfe.
Defending isn't just tackling. He's always been a good tackler inside stoppage. In fact, inside stoppage there aren't many better players. But the game isn't just inside stoppage.

He always had LOW TOG even in 2022. Evidence - here is a random selection of 3 games from 2022 sorted by ToG. Notice a trend?

1724724267450.png

Eye test - he gets burnt on transition and defending outside of stoppage. Just like Fyfe does.

Considering we were already the best clearance side and that's all he offers, you'll have to do a lot better than accusing people of gaslighting you.

Last edited:
Brodie laid 127 tackles in 2022. Nobody on our team laid that many this year. O’Meara laid 63, Johnson laid 58, Fyfe laid 51. All players who Brodie should have been getting at least a few games over this year.

It’s sad how our supporters will do anything to diminish the value Brodie brings. He was a massive part of our 2022 campaign and people seem to have either forgotten, or have drank the cool-aid from the club and bought into the idea that he’s no good.
I wanted him dropped all 2022 so more of a confirmation bias from the club for me

The problem is less Brodie, more that the player that has replaced him, is really hurting us and I just can't see Fyfe spending a year at Peel. I don't know how they manage that situation. Adding Bolton to the midfield rotation will be nice but man, if Ras, Brodie or Johnson can do what Drew does every week and support the guns, we'd look a lot better

Last edited:
The problem is less Brodie, more that the player that has replaced him, is really hurting us and I just can't see Fyfe spending a year at Peel. I don't know how they manage that situation. Adding the Boltom to the midfield rotation will be nice but man, if Ras, Brodie or Johnson can do what Drew.dors every week and support the guns, we'd look a lot better

I think Ras should be given the chance to start next year. At least he can cover the ground. Hopefully the preseason lets him put on some more size.

Re Fyfe. All time great of the club but it's time. The midfield is the engine room that makes the whole thing go. You can't carry a player in there because of past reputation. The fact that we have to make excuses and allowances for him says it all. Need to get Ras NOD and Johnson in there and get them up to speed. They are the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port defeat Freo by some margin idk anyway the season's over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back