Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going back to this, in my experience it's almost impossible for professional sportspeople to get income insurance and they would have to rely on these Group type policies to obtain cover. You'd also think that these Group policies would either have exclusions for these types of concussion related injuries or massive premium increases.

More broadly, Disability insurance premiums are exploding mainly based on the enormous increase on people claiming for mental health reasons.
The policy exclusions would make it impossible for the person to actually play their sport. It's like AFL footballers expected to be able to make claims against Workcover. Their total disregard for basic OH&S excludes them from any claim.

Rule 1 - There should be no running in the workplace
Rule 2 - An employee should always have at least one foot in contact with the ground unless wearing an approved safety harness
Rule 3 - Any employee who is required to be more than 1 metre above the ground must have a current Working At Heights certification

the crows song really does say a lot about their mentality - its all about being worried about what other people think and say about them

Caring about the opinions outside of the club:
- Pride of south australia
- respected by our foes
- our determination shows
- admiration of the nation

Defining themselves by others:
- Stronger
- Faster

Things they can control:
- Mighty
- Courageous
- Give our best from coast to coast
- The flag will be our goal
- Skill and nerve
- Commitment

Meanwhile, Power To Win...

- None

Defining ourselves by others:
- None

Things we can control:
- power to win
- power to rule
- Port Adelaide aggression
- true Port Adelaide tradition
- Never stop stop stop
- never give in

There's only one team I'm worried about and that's Port, and in particular our stubbornness with respect to matching up on the oppositions talls.

When that gets rolled out as the Lesson we learnt from the finals I'll be furious.

Been asking all year for Ladhams to spend some time down back to be ready to play against them, and in particular against Geelong, Brisbane and West Coast.
Too late to learn that role now.

As spectators I think its now time to roll the dice, enjoy the show and actually be grateful that we have at least two more games after this one.

Last edited:
the crows song really does say a lot about their mentality - its all about being worried about what other people think and say about them

- Pride of south australia
- respected by our foes
- our determination shows
- admiration of the nation

Defining themselves by others:
- Stronger
- Faster

Things they can control:
- Mighty
- Courageous
- Give our best from coast to coast
- The flag will be our goal
- Skill and nerve
- Commitment

Meanwhile, Power To Win...

- None

Defining ourselves by others:
- None

Things we can control:
- power to win
- power to rule
- Port Adelaide aggression
- true Port Adelaide tradition
- Never stop stop stop
- never give in
I guess you can't expect much from something penned by a Woodville man, whose previous musical experience was with the woody woodpecker song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS should have let Choco take over from Sheedy.

I'm glad they didn't though, otherwise we would have ended up with Cameron.
Choco earlier this year talked on Dwayne's show about GWS not being prepared to pay him properly, as he was basically coaching the team and Sheedy doing the PR, so he walked out as they kept delaying giving him the job and paying him full amount for all the work he was doing.

Choco earlier this year talked on Dwayne's show about GWS not being prepared to pay him properly, as he was basically coaching the team and Sheedy doing the PR, so he walked out as they kept delaying giving him the job and paying him full amount for all the work he was doing.
So there cheap bastards that explains why they still have Cameron.

At the pub now after 4 weeks sobriety but will try to address this tomorrow. Insurance companies, the AFL will quaking in their boots by this decision.

I often act for life insurers in litigated TPD claims and I don't know they will.

I just saw your comment about the definitions. I agree that it will depend on that. I wrote the following part before seeing you had said essentially the same thing. Without looking at the terms in the policy covering Smith, it is possible that he purchased cover under an 'own occupation' rather than an 'any occupation' TPD definition. If that's the case, it is easier to prove. In his case, he would only have had to prove that his disability meant he couldn't work as a plumber. Under an 'any occupation' definition, he would have had to prove that his disability made him unlikely to be employed in any occupation for which he was suited by education, training or experience.

As for the AFL, it is going to be more difficult for players as they will have to prove, not only the disability but also that it was caused by the concussions. Smith didn't have to do that in his TPD claim as the cause of the disability is not usually relevant (it gets mentioned in reports but it is only necessary to prove the disability not its cause). Obviously, it's probable that someone at some time will bring a claim against the AFL for concussion-related injuries but Smith's payout here hasn't changed that risk.

The other thing to remember, is that this was not litigated. MLC approved the claim after reviewing the evidence of Smith's disability. I don't know that there has been any studies into similar disablement amongst past AFL players but I don't expect there would be too many completely rendered unable to work after their careers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back