Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So he's been suspended for 11 weeks total in his career. Are players still deregistered after 16 weeks total over their careers?

Might not last till retirement the way he's going.

Yeah, I get the point that parties to a contract can more or less put in whatever clauses they want and you would expect there to be something dealing with force majure.

However, isn't force majure meant to protect a party from being sued for breaching or not being able to fulfill the terms of a contract? It wouldn't give the offending party additional benefits under the contract, such as extension of the term of the contract. Parties who were genuinely dealing with each other at arm's length surely wouldn't put or agree to such a clause in their contract.

No. A force majure clause operates so there is no breach.

More generally, without looking at the terms of the contract, you can't tell which (if any) party is in breach. If the contract could be construed as merely requiring the MCC to provide the MCG for the Grand Final and nothing more, it may be that the AFL is in breach by not holding the game there. If, on the other hand, it is required to provide the MCG with the ability to accommodate a crowd, then your scenario arises.

I reckon there is likely some uncertainty there, leading the parties to negotiate and the possibility of the contract being extended for the extra year, as suggested. It makes sense when there is significant uncertainty and where the contract (and the relationship) is ongoing.

It sucks. I hate the way the GF has been locked up like this. But I think that's what we are likely dealing with.

So if we win our prelim we will have effectively played 1 game in 4 weeks by time the GF comes around and same for the Demons.

Absolutely ridiculous to have a bye that week and not needed at all. Again disadvantages the teams that win the QF if they come up against a team that hasn’t had that much disruption.

No need for the bye but typical AFL arrangement to drag it out as long as possible

So he's been suspended for 11 weeks total in his career. Are players still deregistered after 16 weeks total over their careers?

Might not last till retirement the way he's going.

I think that's a local footy thing, doesn't apply to the professional level.

Greene would frustrate the sh*t out of us if he played for us.

Could you imagine if Butters or Rozee or Aliir did something that stupid and we were left to try and win the flag without them?
Butters will get suspended now and then he already has, throws his body around & has some niggle in his makeup.

So if we win our prelim we will have effectively played 1 game in 4 weeks by time the GF comes around and same for the Demons.

Absolutely ridiculous to have a bye that week and not needed at all. Again disadvantages the teams that win the QF if they come up against a team that hasn’t had that much disruption.

No need for the bye but typical AFL arrangement to drag it out as long as possible

IFF!

Chances are that Melbourne will be playing in the GF and they too will have a bye before the GF.

And 2 weeks gives the best chance of getting the best players on the deck, including anyone who may be required to undertake the mandatory 12 day rest from playing due to a concussion protocol incident in the prelim. It gives the teams that have earned a prelim a true advantage if they make it through to a Grand Final.

Also need to factor in the need to acclimatise to Perth conditions and any potential covid breach. Also allows supporters from other states to make bookings and get there.

Allows the AFL to pump up the Grand Final week, including a live Brownlow event in Perth the GF week.

I think it makes absolute sense, a lot more sense than holding bye in the week before finals now that the last round is floating schedule.

Not surprised by this, given Gleeson wanted 6. The Tribunal rules for an appeal say its pretty limited.

Was it a manifestly inadequate decision?? The Bachar Houli good bloke 2 games striking case awarded by the Tribunal in June 2017, was appealed by the AFL and the Appeals Board said yes it is, 4 weeks is the right amount.

1630393285289.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t get mine to stick!
Try dust the fish in some flour first, the batter will stick to flour much easier than the fish. A good consistency for the batter is you should be able to make one figure-8 with the batter when you remove the whisk
I tried crumbing calamari the other day, all fell off, I’m a pretty good cook, but that side of cooking is my weak point!
Make sure the calamari is really dry, pat it down with some paper towels before tossing it in the seasoned flour.

Just heard Premier McGowan interview on the radio.Talking about the AFL Grand Final at Optus Stadium.Port making the GF would be a good result for WA.
Wa is only open to people from NT,SA +Tasmania.

I heard the Vic sports minister talking earlier, I loved how he said (something to the tune) they waitind until the last min beofre they 'gave it up'.....

Says it all.

How much money do these fu**s want to waste?

I think an appeal was inevitable given the AFL argued that 6 weeks was appropriate.

Need to remember that AFL is a billion dollar corporation that gets tax free status because of its stated objective of being the promotor of the game across all levels in the community from school footy to amateur league right up to the AFL level - and that includes promoting standards of behaviour to future players and umpires.

We all know how hard it is to get kids into umpiring and anything the AFL does to stamp out umpire abuse at the top level should be applauded. It's not just about suspending Greene for a lot of weeks but sending the message to the community that touching an umpire in an 'aggressive, demonstrative and disrespectful' manner (the Tribunal findings) is simply not acceptable and will attract a severe penalty.

The AFL regards a 3 week penalty as woefully inappropriate under the circumstances, especially given Greene's not guilty plea and so an appeal is appropriate.

The MCG’s contract to host the Grand Final was extended when last year’s decider was moved, and this year’s move will see the deal again extended by a year, into 2059.

Lol

This should be the solution for every second season where the grand final isn’t played at the MCG ;)

I think an appeal was inevitable given the AFL argued that 6 weeks was appropriate.

Need to remember that AFL is a billion dollar corporation that gets tax free status because of its stated objective of being the promotor of the game across all levels in the community from school footy to amateur league right up to the AFL level - and that includes promoting standards of behaviour to future players and umpires.

We all know how hard it is to get kids into umpiring and anything the AFL does to stamp out umpire abuse at the top level should be applauded. It's not just about suspending Greene for a lot of weeks but sending the message to the community that touching an umpire in an 'aggressive, demonstrative and disrespectful' manner (the Tribunal findings) is simply not acceptable and will attract a severe penalty.

The AFL regards a 3 week penalty as woefully inappropriate under the circumstances, especially given Greene's not guilty plea and so an appeal is appropriate.
They are appealing against their own bloody tribunal ffs 😂😂.
Total waste of time and money, all about generating column inches.

Long-time Collingwood assistant and caretaker coach Robert Harvey has departed the club, effective immediately after 10 years at the Holden Centre.

It was communicated to Magpies staff and players on Tuesday that Harvey, who was out of contract, has decided to leave.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Carlton looms as his likely destination if Ross Lyon wins the job there.

Long-time Collingwood assistant and caretaker coach Robert Harvey has departed the club, effective immediately after 10 years at the Holden Centre.

It was communicated to Magpies staff and players on Tuesday that Harvey, who was out of contract, has decided to leave.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Carlton looms as his likely destination if Ross Lyon wins the job there.

Can’t blame him, sucks.

They are appealing against their own bloody tribunal ffs 😂😂.
Total waste of time and money, all about generating column inches.

No. They are appealing against the suspension handed down by the Tribunal jury made up of AFL former players that heard BOTH sides of the case - GWS and the AFL. The Tribunal is NOT the AFL - it is merely established under AFL rules (much like a jury in a normal court process).

Any appeal will be heard by an Appeals tribunal comprising experienced legal counsel and former players who were not part of the original decision.

The appeal process is an integral part of the tribunal process to ensure Tribunal decisions are reasonable and consistent with the AFL rules. Again - much like the appeal process applying in relation to, say, a District Court verdict.

Lol Theo Dropkick..” it is understood that Balme really did want to come to Adelaide” lolol

How do you 'understand' this Theo? Did you just make it up or are you just repeating what someone in the Adelaide Football Club told you to say? You being a match day employee of the Crows and all?

It is understood this is yet more utter biased made up BS from Channel 7 Adelaide, that passes for a news service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back