Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken's obviously underachieved but what's Scott done since he swooped in on Mark Thompson's Geelong? Always in top 4 contention for one grand final comfortably lost, he's not done much better.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Consistently being in contention but not winning beats sporadically being in contention and also not winning. Also, this is being done in the context of taking over post an era of three premierships when they really should've fallen to the bottom of the ladder as their most comparable contemporary did (St Kilda) and even the dominant team that came after them (Hawthorn) have now done. History will ultimately judge the way they've stayed afloat for so long without winning a flag badly but I think there's probably some merit in it.

Consistently being in contention but not winning beats sporadically being in contention and also not winning. Also, this is being done in the context of taking over post an era of three premierships when they really should've fallen to the bottom of the ladder as their most comparable contemporary did (St Kilda) and even the dominant team that came after them (Hawthorn) have now done. History will ultimately judge the way they've stayed afloat for so long without winning a flag badly but I think there's probably some merit in it.

Hawthorn didn't really come after them, just timed their peak a little different. Geelong were still in top 4 during Hawthorn top 4 years.

Point is like I said besides the first season with a goat tier team that pretty much coached itself to a flag with a point to prove in 2011, he hasn't shown he is any more of a premiership capable coach than others including Ken, and even Ken could have won the flag with 2011 Geelong. You can't stay afloat for as long as they are without getting closer, and be happy with it with nothing to show. Could also say the same about post Buddy swans.

Hawthorn didn't really come after them, just timed their peak a little different. Geelong were still in top 4 during Hawthorn top 4 years.

Point is like I said besides the first season with a goat tier team that pretty much coached itself to a flag with a point to prove in 2011, he hasn't shown he is any more of a premiership capable coach than others including Ken, and even Ken could have won the flag with 2011 Geelong. You can't stay afloat for as long as they are without getting closer, and be happy with it with nothing to show. Could also say the same about post Buddy swans.

Geelong has been OUTSTANDING. I say that our floor is high, but Geelong’s is on the building’s 10th stage or something.

Their issue, which they haven’t been able to solve, is how to go deep in Finals. However, the Minor Round they have it covered.

P.S.: One needs to go back all the way to 2002/3 to find two consecutive seasons without Geelong making Finals:

2021 - 3/?
2020 - 4/GF
2019 - 1/PF
2018 - 8/EF
2017 - 2/PF
2016 - 2/PF
2015 - 10/DNQ
2014 - 3/SF
2013 - 2/PF
2012 - 6/EF
2011 - 2/Prem.
2010 - 2/PF
2009 - 2/Prem.
2008 - 1/GF
2007 - 1/Prem.
2006 - 10/DNQ
2005 - 6/SF
2004 - 4/PF
2003 - 12/DNQ
2002 - 9/DNQ

20 Seasons (2002-2021)
No Finals: 4
No Final win: 7
Finals: 16
-
Top-4: 13
Top-2: 9
Minor Prem.: 3
-
Prel. Finals: 11
Gr. Finals: 5
Premierships: 3

Last edited:
Geelong has been OUTSTANDING. I say that our floor is high, but Geelong’s is on the building’s 10th stage or something.

Their issue, which they haven’t been able to solve, is how to go deep in Finals. However, the Minor Round they have it covered.

P.S.: One needs to go back all the way to 2002/3 to find two consecutive seasons without Geelong making Finals:

2021 - 3/?
2020 - 4/GF
2019 - 1/PF
2018 - 8/EF
2017 - 2/PF
2016 - 2/PF
2015 - 10/DNQ
2014 - 3/SF
2013 - 2/PF
2012 - 6/EF
2011 - 2/Prem.
2010 - 2/PF
2009 - 2/Prem.
2008 - 1/GF
2007 - 1/Prem.
2006 - 10/DNQ
2005 - 6/SF
2004 - 4/PF
2003 - 12/DNQ
2002 - 9/DNQ

20 Seasons (2002-2021)
No Finals: 4
No Final win: 7
Finals: 16
-
Top-4: 13
Top-2: 9
Minor Prem.: 3
-
Prel. Finals: 11
Gr. Finals: 5
Premierships: 3
Must be why we are all sick and bloody tired of them.

The issue Geelong folk have is that it clearly isn’t personnel that’s been lacking for Scott, it’s game plan. They’re great in the regular season because they are so well drilled and disciplined but come elite pressure time the game plan doesn’t stack up.

Sounds awfully familiar…let’s hope Kenny can go one better this year.

The Melbourne supporter FMD *rolls eyes* God I hope we crush this fairytale
I feel like the narrative has already been set. This is the 2016 Bulldogs all over again. Good luck to whoever makes it to the Grand Final against the Demons, you are going to get royally ****ed over.
With that being said, if the Cats can win this week, they are a great chance to knock them off. They probably match up better against them than they do anyone else in the finals.

I feel like the narrative has already been set. This is the 2016 Bulldogs all over again. Good luck to whoever makes it to the Grand Final against the Demons, you are going to get royally f’ed over.
With that being said, if the Cats can win this week, they are a great chance to knock them off. They probably match up better against them than they do anyone else in the finals.

The idea of playing the Cats in a grand final is so delicious that it feels way too good to be true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Gil put a mask on, we don't want his filthy germs here in our covid free heaven. In fact come to think of it, why is it even necessary he comes over to begin with?
How is he even allowed to enter WA from Victoria?

I like that the media is talking up Melbourne as having already won the flag. In what's actually quite an open finals series, it really is their's to lose now and the pressure is on. Kind of like how Geelong definitely had it secured in 2008 and Hawthorn was merely the other team who achieved their goal of making the GF.

The determination of Boak, Gray and Wines to get it done in recent weeks is unlike anything I've seen from our leaders in the Hinkley era - and they're dragging the team with them. It wasn't there to this degree in the 2014 or 2020 prelim loss seasons. The Vic media doesn't seem to have picked up on that at all and still give us no chance, saying the goal is to make the GF, which Melbourne has already won.

WTF? A solitary Melbourne supporter.

Here was the GF Record back in 86', even after we knew the 2 teams in the decider.
View attachment 1222997
Melbourne only matters I guess.
I don't believe the cartoon of Gil entering WA is an official AFL publication like the VFL/AFL Record.

As far as the Victorian media are concerned the Melbourne fairy tale is a fait accompli.

I like that the media is talking up Melbourne as having already won the flag. In what's actually quite an open finals series, it really is their's to lose now and the pressure is on. Kind of like how Geelong definitely had it secured in 2008 and Hawthorn was merely the other team who achieved their goal of making the GF.

The determination of Boak, Gray and Wines to get it done in recent weeks is unlike anything I've seen from our leaders in the Hinkley era - and they're dragging the team with them. It wasn't there to this degree in the 2014 or 2020 prelim loss seasons. The Vic media doesn't seem to have picked up on that at all and still give us no chance, saying the goal is to make the GF, which Melbourne has already won.
Yeah its a weird one for sure.

Melbourne's recent record against top sides:
Beat Brisbane with McStay going down in game and Hipwood out.
Beat Geelong by 4 points after they got smashed early and the Cats put the cue in the rack.
Lost to Bulldogs by 20

They are absolutely a chance and playing great football, but I'm not sure what puts them a level above the other sides in, especially Cats and Pear.

Lootenant McGowan's bureaucrats have also denied McGuire's 2 sons who he tried to sneak in to WA as TV producers.

McGuire on the phone to Andrews and Gil to get McGowan to intervene. Will be interesting to see and hear what McGowan will do. Will he be as tough on this as everybody else or will he bend for a Labor mate?

I don't believe the cartoon of Gil entering WA is an official AFL publication like the VFL/AFL Record.

As far as the Victorian media are concerned the Melbourne fairy tale is a fait accompli.

That's what bothers me, let's all get behind Melbourne everyone!

Also, let's extend the AFL GF contract by another year to 2059, like how petty is that.

Time has passed for Ken to coach Geelong, by the time they sack Scott & gut the list they'll want a fresh younger coach.

Lootenant McGowan's bureaucrats have also denied McGuire's 2 sons who he tried to sneak in to WA as TV producers.

McGuire on the phone to Andrews and Gil to get McGowan to intervene. Will be interesting to see and hear what McGowan will do. Will he be as tough on this as everybody else or will he bend for a Labor mate?
I hope McGowan tells them all to get stuffed.

Needs to keep his state vermin free.

Chris Scott is at an interesting point in his coaching career he's all in on the dads army model that's approaching the cliff, whinges about everything & doesn't really like the job. I can't see him going through a rebuild blooding kids for 5 years he's already grown the beard & let the hair go ready for a cabin in the woods.
Geelong's board are just as conservative as Port's.

Brian Cook said they can't afford to bottom out, last year or the year before, when they had to find $40mil to fund stage 5 of Kardinia Park development when the Vic government "only" offered $102mil of the $142mil build. They also have some debt left over from the previous 4 stages. In last year's November Vic budget the government said they would fund the whole $142mil cost.

Does that change their position? Probably, but probably not that much until it's all built.

New CEO Stephen Hocking is a Geelong product, played and worked for them for many years. Will he rock the boat and change the Geelong way?? New President Craig Drummond, was appointed in February, is the CEO of Medibank and has been on the Geelong board since 2011. Is he all of a sudden going to rock the boat?? His/Geelong's strategy is to get 100,000 members by 2025. You don't get that by spending a few years on the bottom rebuilding.

If Geelong go out in straight sets they will probably start moving on Scott. He might even walk.

But they won't all of a sudden cut 10 x 30 year old players at the end of the year. They will keep using free agency, as plenty of kids get drafted from the Geelong Falcons and they have the come home factor as a lure, as well as players wanting to play finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back