Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spare a thought for the feeble crows supporters afterall they have spent months turning on Sloane and giving a million reasons why they will be better off without him
He's only chasing $
Past his best
slow
damaged goods now
can't handle a tag
mates with Cornes
oh and let's not forget
the vitriol to his partner

All adds up to the hunter's creed. If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back ... shoot it.

He's only chasing $
Past his best
slow
damaged goods now
can't handle a tag
mates with Cornes
oh and let's not forget
the vitriol to his partner

All adds up to the hunter's creed. If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back ... shoot it.
I can add to it:
he is stuffed with that foot
he won't be able to ever do a complete season again
cooked
his only value to us is by trading him
he is ruining the cohesiveness of our group the longer he drags this on
he and his wife are only interested in getting their mugs on tv

I'm sure there is more but i tend to zone out when it's not about Port.

I wouldn't. It's a smart move if they do. Sloane seems like a nice enough and reasonably intelligent bloke. Tex couldn't captain a kayak.
hqdefault.jpg

Has anyone got any info about how cap hit works in the AFL these days?

I always thought you were on the hook if a player prematurely retired, but after all the breathless comment about Hawthorn's imminent warchest due to Cyril pulling the pin 2 years early, I'm not so sure.

Any remuneration is added to the cap the following year. That’s what happened with Carlile when he retired with a year to go on his contract.

I wouldn't. It's a smart move if they do. Sloane seems like a nice enough and reasonably intelligent bloke. Tex couldn't captain a kayak.

But it'll further open the already abysmal rift in the playing group... that's pretty funny.

in a perfect world Sloane signs with adelaide using up a large chuck of $$$, Gov stays, isnt that good and injured all the time, taking more cash. Plus no picks for either.
They then go in with their pick, melb pick and 19 only with little cap space if any

Boom, my perfect world is coming true!!

Good deal for Sloane. He’s got the brains to see the Hawks newly freed $$ won’t get him any closer to a flag so why bother if you can squeeze two good years out here and maintain the appearance of loyalty. Be it true, coincidental or cynical, it’s a good look. I think it’s more of the first two than the latter. Does genuinely seem a decent bloke, unlike his boofhead captain.

Purported 5 year deal, let’s say it’s *heavily* front end loaded and he retires after 2. That mitigates some risk re dodgy foot, and creates a future space for a raid on Lukosius just as he comes out of initial contract at Carlton. Just as Tex and Jenkins recede over the hill. Betts retired and McGovern long gone.

Now Carlton can read tea leaves as well as I can, yes even bloody Silvagni, and rightly or wrongly they’d back their “culture” to hold/convert Lukosius, like Gibbs before him. Unless they’re more stupid than I think they are.

GC on the other hand, holding pick 2 this year and looking longingly at Rankine, who has made the loudest permissible noises about wanting to stay in SA... they might be spooked into picking someone else or “trading down”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good deal for Sloane. He’s got the brains to see the Hawks newly freed $$ won’t get him any closer to a flag so why bother if you can squeeze two good years out here and maintain the appearance of loyalty. Be it true, coincidental or cynical, it’s a good look. I think it’s more of the first two than the latter. Does genuinely seem a decent bloke, unlike his boofhead captain.

Purported 5 year deal, let’s say it’s *heavily* front end loaded and he retires after 2. That mitigates some risk re dodgy foot, and creates a future space for a raid on Lukosius just as he comes out of initial contract at Carlton. Just as Tex and Jenkins recede over the hill. Betts retired and McGovern long gone.

Now Carlton can read tea leaves as well as I can, yes even bloody Silvagni, and rightly or wrongly they’d back their “culture” to hold/convert Lukosius, like Gibbs before him. Unless they’re more stupid than I think they are.

GC on the other hand, holding pick 2 this year and looking longingly at Rankine, who has made the loudest permissible noises about wanting to stay in SA... they might be spooked into picking someone else or “trading down”.

I hope we get in on any of those discussions! would be a perfect fit for us

I hope we get in on any of those discussions! would be a perfect fit for us

Well look at our ending contracts in two years time re Lukosius. I haven’t, have just been thinking out loud about what the Cows might be planning. Hell I might even have the treatment of “leftover” contract money against cap all wrong.

And re GC if at the end of this year *we* could turn Polec into Rankine to put it very crudely and over simplistically you’d probably do it wouldn’t you?

It’s blindingly obvious that when Collingwood signed De Goey to a huge deal it was on the back of them cooling on Sloane. I’m telling you, the offers he was getting would have netted Adelaide an end of first round compensation pick. So what they did was give him a bit more security to stay by making it a five year deal.

They paid over market rate for a player who wanted to leave, and in the process ensured that McGovern will never play for them again - because if he was pissed at the “no money” schtick Adelaide pulled before signing up Gibbs, he’ll be furious that they paid Lynch and Sloane what they were asking for. I know I would be.

Well look at our ending contracts in two years time re Lukosius. I haven’t, have just been thinking out loud about what the Cows might be planning. Hell I might even have the treatment of “leftover” contract money against cap all wrong.

And re GC if at the end of this year *we* could turn Polec into Rankine to put it very crudely and over simplistically you’d probably do it wouldn’t you?

i really really want to keep Polec, we lack speed as is...
But if we could turn our pick / picks plus a hombsch or pittard into rankine id knock them over doing it

So now that Sloane has signed we can all agree with their posters that matching and then trading out Sloane was going to be the masterstroke that got them Luko and Rankine.

Cue banter for years to come :)

This will be the new McGregor over Pav

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back