Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I take it essendon and hird have different legal councils. How could one side be told to appeal and the other told not to.

It is certainly the silly season.
Both the Essendon and Hird legal councils advisd that they felt their was grounds for appealing the decision. Essendon has decided not to appeal. Hird has decided to appeal. Both have given reasons for their decisions. Both deal with taking into account the interests of the players. Given the players association and the players want things over and done with, you can work out who is listening to the players.

Not a legal person. The appeal does not hear new evidence, but will listen to legal argument. Legal argument is beyond logic at times, but I have no idea how their grounds for appeal meets the usual reasons for appeal.

ASADA should not re-issue the notices while there is an appeal. This is the correct thing to do.

It will drag things out for a few more months. Could really dig into the season proper.

If even the appeal is successful, it will only further delay the inevitable. It will be a hollow victory.

If Hird is successful in the appeal, I don't think he will get the vindication he is seeking.

..... If even the appeal is successful, it will only further delay the inevitable. It will be a hollow victory. ........
This.

The technical legality of the investigation has no bearing on what Essendon, with Hird as head coach, did. My understanding is that if the original investigation is deemed illegal ASADA will just start again. While they may not be able to obtain some of the evidence they relied on originally sufficient evidence that Essendon ran a doping program and did not keep records of what the players were being injected with surely will be available to a new investigation.

#standbytird

This.

The technical legality of the investigation has no bearing on what Essendon, with Hird as head coach, did. My understanding is that if the original investigation is deemed illegal ASADA will just start again. While they may not be able to obtain some of the evidence they relied on originally sufficient evidence that Essendon ran a doping program and did not keep records of what the players were being injected with surely will be available to a new investigation.
Yes, this is the basis of my statement. If, for example, ASADA has evidence that Thymocin Beta 4 was obtained and possibly injected, that evidence would be available outside the club (for example, que the pharmacist who supplied it (I think)).

Re Hird's sacking/not sacking:

I suspect Essendon have received (or are seeking) legal advice as to whether they can sack Hird for exercising his appeal rights. As I have said previously, I am uncomfortable with them doing so. I suspect that it would end up in a(nother) shit fight if they did sack him for this.

I suspect Essendon have received (or are seeking) legal advice as to whether they can sack Hird for exercising his appeal rights. As I have said previously, I am uncomfortable with them doing so. I suspect that it would end up in a(nother) shit fight if they did sack him for this.
Can't they just sack him for running a doping program?

It would be sad if the only reason Essendon hasn't sacked Hird is because they're worried about potential litigation. Surely Hird must know that the path he's on will not be a successful one, even if he does win his appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was going to come back to SA, the Crows would be a good fit for him. Schoenclangers is a spud but he may as well be Stephen Silvagni compared to Hartigan and Luke Thompson.

I reckon the crows will be into him. They are definitely looking for another defender.

Ricciuto has been trying poach our Hombschy!

It surprises me no one has come sniffing around looking for a trade for Clurey. I think the kid has a bright future and might get starved of opportunities at Port. I hope like hell we can keep him but if he only gets a handful of games next year I wouldnt be surprised if he was looking to move.

I like to keep Clurey as a backup. I don't think he was ready for AFL in 2014 and I think the club made the right call not to bring him in when Carlile and Trengove were missing with injuries.

cRowie saying that he was led to believe that Bolton was the Crows first choice but something has changed and now they are having to interview others.
Bolton probably switched on the radio, listened to 5AA for 5 minutes and thought "What the hell am I doing here, I don't need this shit".

cRowie saying that he was led to believe that Bolton was the Crows first choice but something has changed and now they are having to interview others.

Bolton said he wasn't ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back