Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what Lumumba's end game is here with Collingwood, but he's had this on the works for sometime.
It's hard to work out where the line is between Collingwood and their shit leadership and culture, and Lumumba's ego.

Collingwood and the league..... and society in general need to do more to fix racial issues, but when the guy who put himself at the centre of it all is a self-proclaimed "deep thinker" who thinks he's Einstein, tries to meet people like the Dalai Lama and Barack Obama, allegedly came up with the "chimp" name he now hates, and is now suddenly pulling out 10 year old secret recordings it's hard to know what are real issues and what are issues he's created in his own mind

Lumumba says that he has 10 years worth of recordings. My question is - if you know you're in a toxic environment, why didn't you do what Buckley said and go to a place that wasn't so toxic to your mental wellbeing? He could have easily requested a trade to a club that was actively working to champion against racist beliefs. It's not like he was some sort of scrub that wouldn't get a game with another club. Why stay in that situation for 10 years?

It's not like it was for Adam Goodes with the whole booing thing, where he was getting booed everywhere he played by ****wits so it made any place he played a toxic environment. No, this was isolated to one club that for some reason he didn't want to leave.

It sounds to me like Lumumba had this whole Supreme Court case lined up from the very beginning and made sure that he stayed in that toxic environment for as long as possible so as to maximise the damage he willingly suffered so he could get a bigger settlement/payout. The secret recordings are just proof of that. And the reason he released them on social media was sneaky as **** too - those recordings are inadmissible as evidence in his case because they are illegal.

Papa G, although Lumumba is in an unhealthy Crusade (i.e. unhealthy for him), that doesn’t mean neither that the underlying cause is unfair nor that he doesn’t have justifiable reasons for it.

It is necessary to acknowledge and understand his pain, even if to ultimately point out where he has gotten it wrong.

His pain has been acknowledged multiple times over several years. He's been invited to be part of the process to change, he's been apologised to by individuals and the club, key protagonists have left the club as a result of the pressure he's brought to bear... yet he's still screaming into the void.

He says he doesn't know what he wants from this whole saga but it seems clear to me it's to keep his name on people's lips.

According to the Tiser old mate Frampton is set to be dropped with Flogarty in:

ROB, Gollant, Frampton, Schoenberg, Cook look set to be dropped. Strachan, Smith, McHenry, Fogarty, Soligo in line for recalls. Would not be a surprise re ROB - been down on form the past 2 weeks. Frampton also struggled after being excellent v Dogs.

ROB, Gollant, Frampton, Schoenberg, Cook look set to be dropped. Strachan, Smith, McHenry, Fogarty, Soligo in line for recalls. Would not be a surprise re ROB - been down on form the past 2 weeks. Frampton also struggled after being excellent v Dogs.

So they haven't listened to Port Adelaide legend Kane Corner re Riley Triplehope?

Oh no, not the Big Easy!

Brisbane have no key forward left due to injury.

They will play Butts on Hipworth if he comes back in and then need more small defenders.

The Crows forward line won't matter as the ball won't get there.

Expect Charlie Cameron to kick.7.

Whatever happened to that Fisher McAsey guy the Crows drafted in the top 10?
Didn't they throw the kitchen sink at him only last year to get him to sign a new contract because he was threatening to go back to Vic? Appears to have been money well spent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be a very interesting test case.

How much responsibility can be landed at the feet of the current Bulldogs, who are now a very different corporate entity to the Footscray FC of the 70s/80s. Will also be interesting to see how much the VFL (now AFL) is held to account. Given the similar cases with St Kilda, and more recently, Collingwood (Joffa) there seems to be a history of governance failure at VFL/AFL clubs. Massive can of worms.

It is a really tough one. It was one of the most upsetting articles I've ever read. But as you say, how much of what happened can be levelled at the Western Bulldogs? Are they from a legal perspective the same entity, or are the VFL side?

The Dogs were bad against Frampton.

It is a really tough one. It was one of the most upsetting articles I've ever read. But as you say, how much of what happened can be levelled at the Western Bulldogs? Are they from a legal perspective the same entity, or are the VFL side?
I've heard that when the AFL Bulldogs were created they even stole the VFL Bulldogs' phone number.

His pain has been acknowledged multiple times over several years. He's been invited to be part of the process to change, he's been apologised to by individuals and the club, key protagonists have left the club as a result of the pressure he's brought to bear... yet he's still screaming into the void.

He says he doesn't know what he wants from this whole saga but it seems clear to me it's to keep his name on people's lips.

Yeah, there are obviously dollops of truth to his claims regarding systemic racism here and there, but his wider perceptions of things always seem hyperbolic for maximum grandiosity.

ie, What came of the ‘I have PTSD, will give more details later’ revelation he supposedly witnessed a murder in Brazil in 2011? Then just this year he claimed a military policeman over there pointed a gun at his head while he came to the aid of some youths who were being brutalised.

I’m not saying his claims are untrue, but some corroboration wouldn’t go astray — seems to have a knack for finding trouble at a rate over and above most Australian tourists.

Then there was the time he felt he was worthy of an audience with Barack Obama. Maybe a tad presumptuous?

This latest furore is certainly generating attention.

The Crows selecting plodder Flogarty makes it more entertaining viewing....I'm sure his 6 disposals will make a difference.

I know I will forget some, but have the Crows 1st rounders of Flogarty, Mcasey, Mchenry, Jones in recent times knocked off our brilliant selections of Moore, Pittard, Butcher and lets say Jacobs for pure guff?

InB4 Butcher woz robbed!

I know I will forget some, but have the Crows 1st rounders of Flogarty, Mcasey, Mchenry, Jones in recent times knocked off our brilliant selections of Moore, Pittard, Butcher and lets say Jacobs for pure guff?

InB4 Butcher woz robbed!
Yeah you missed Jordan Gallucci.

We selected T Marshall, Sam PP and W Drew that year after their selection.

The Crows also traded out Jarrod Lions for a bag of stale chips, who will likely play his 200th game this season:)

The secret recordings are just proof of that. And the reason he released them on social media was sneaky as fu** too - those recordings are inadmissible as evidence in his case because they are illegal.
They aren't necessarily illegal. First it depends on the jurisdiction you are in around the country and world and secondly if you are party to a conversation you are usually allowed to tape it.

The next step of releasing it, is when illegalities tend to come into play.

Wiretapping is illegal in most jurisdictions, unless law authorities have coercive legal powers or get a warrant, because they aren't party to the conversation, they are listening in to.

John Elliot in the late 1980's or early 1990's got off on a technicality because when the old NCA (now their powers are held by ACC) were investigating him, they taped his phone conversations without the proper legal authority, so those tapes were inadmissible in court, and despite they showed the proof he did something wrong, the judge couldn't allow the evidence to be submitted.

On SEN Melbourne this morning they had Media and Defamation law expert Justin Quill on. He writes a column in the Herald Sun which I have read every now and then over the years. His profile is HERE.

He said Lumumba was in his rights to tape the private conversation in full, and in secret, because he is a party to it. He then said in relation to publishing it, there are restrictions on publishing it without consent.

He thinks in this case it's probably ok because 1) public interest argument here, 2) protection of lawful interest here, 3) consent from Buckley via his tweet and 4) that Lumumba is in LA and outside the jurisdiction of Victorian law and once in the public domain its fair game for the media. Thinks restrictions on publishing have been navigated.

I have no idea about the Supreme Court case Lumumba started a couple of years ago and if its still going and if this affects that.

Garry Lyon talked about all the media training he has done with Quill over the years, that when he or the media ring people or put them on air, they have to tell them they are being taped or live on air to get their consent. Quill basically says its protecting yourself and therefore no restrictions.

Then he says again its legally right to record it, whether it's appropriate is something else, but once you get consent, you don't have to worry about it again. At the end of interview he talks about there being moral elements to any decision to tape it and release it.

InB4 Butcher woz robbed!

2014: Lever
2015: Milera, Doedee
2016: Gallucci
2017: BRYCE GIBBS, Fogarty
2018: Jones, McHenry
2019: McAsey
2020: Thilthorpe, Pedlar
2021: Rachele

And we managed to lose to them LTO 😅

Edit: missed Fog, sry

Last edited: