Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron first. We are likely to kill off Noble on the weekend so that will be 2. Adam Simpson dead man walking they are probably doing the paper work for his payout already so that's 3.
Rutten holding on by the skin of his teeth and Bombers seeing the best available options as next coach disappearing might pull the trigger there's 4?

S Dew still under the pump that's 5?

That would be the 5 best options to replace Ken off the market.

Ken's management in touch with the club about extending Ken's contact as we speak.

Will be interesting to see if Cameron going earlier than expected, means he gets a job at another club in 2023 with all the potential moves in play.

If not, I think he will be a head coach of a club again in 2024 or later.

Thats why Hinkley wont leave. He isnt confident someone else will pick him up, unless they are a disaster club, and he doesnt want to start at the bottom again.

there's a 0 % chance he stepped down on his own.

more likely the giants told him hes chance of being coach next year were slim or already gone.

There's no way he'd be sacked (contract not renewed/extended) because who are they going to get who's better.

Will be interesting to see if Cameron going earlier than expected, means he gets a job at another club in 2023 with all the potential moves in play.
Koch: "While we're all devastated to lose Kenny in a freak roller blind accident, we must move forward so I have the pleasure of welcoming Leon Cameron to the Port Adelaide family as our next long term coach."

Thats why Hinkley wont leave. He isnt confident someone else will pick him up, unless they are a disaster club, and he doesnt want to start at the bottom again.

We’ve said it a billion times, but him returning to the Gold Coast would be the ultimate fit.

A club he has history with, with a Port 2012esque mix of exciting young and established talent in need of galvanisation and inspo, capable of a quick slingshot to respectability and ultimately, contention.

Instead, he’s mired here in a loveless marriage, incapable of taking the next step both parties require to justify the relationship.

We’ve said it a billion times, but him returning to the Gold Coast would be the ultimate fit.

A club he has history with, with a Port 2012esque mix of exciting young and established talent in need of galvanisation and inspo, capable of a quick slingshot to respectability and ultimately, contention.

Instead, he’s mired here in a loveless marriage, incapable of taking the next step both parties require to justify the relationship.
He has 3 year history with the GC. That's not a trunp card for him.

They have a poorly resourced footy department, with high end people reluctant to go or stay there, always living on the handouts of AFL, and their list no longer has 25 first round picks. They are perennial cellar dwellars.

People don't want to leave Port, a bit thanks to Hinkley, but mainly thanks to Port's people and culture. The GC have pretty much the exact opposite.

Going to the GC is a hard grind compared to the comfort of staying at PA for Hinkley.

Plus a club that desperately needs to improve player retention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the AFL would like nothing more than Mark McVeigh to succeed the next few months, then take over as a permanent coach, go and get his brother Jarrad in as assistant coach, bring all his intell and knowledge from the Swans, and get Lenny Hayes back to GWS as an assistant.

These 3 are all products of Pennant Hills Football Club in NW Sydney, not quiet in the Hills Shire Council boundaries which is one of the 13 councils that makes up the GWS area, but close enough to it in the neighbouring Hornsby Shire Council area.

The AFL would market the shit out of that connection in Sydney. Whilst the AFL has done a good job penetrating GWS area the last decade, having 3 local boys lead the club would add to footy's penetration into the area.

The AFL want Clarko to go to the GC and get success up there. GWS have played in finals in 2016,17,18,19 and 21, and won at least one final in each of those years.

James Hird's role would be interesting. Mark McVeigh was a teammate and coached by Hird, and was one of the most vocal supporting him in 2013 and was the first to attack other players who spoke out about Dank's program, his - "they were just vitamin shots" sticks in my memory. Hird would back up the other 3. GWS won't and the AFL wont allow, Hird to be appointed head coach, but keeping him involved in an AFL owned club, keeps him somewhat under control and they can say they hold no grudges against him.

Could Choco be a wildcard to be GWS coach?
He left on pretty bad terms. Was pissed off he was effectively the main coach and was being paid an assistant's salary and not one that the wealthy clubs like WCE and Collingwood have been know to pay pre covid ie $300k+.

Dave Matthews was the CEO back then.

He left on pretty bad terms. Was pissed off he was effectively the main coach and was being paid an assistant's salary and not one that the wealthy clubs like WCE and Collingwood have been know to pay pre covid ie $300k+.

Dave Matthews was the CEO back then.

You're saying GWS would be adverse to the idea? Cos I think Choco is desperate for the position anywhere he can get it.

You're saying GWS would be adverse to the idea? Cos I think Choco is desperate for the position anywhere he can get it.
I'm saying I don't know exactly how pissed off Choco was, but he wasn't happy at the time, and how pissed off with Choco GWS were when he bagged them when he left. The CEO is still there. Have the scars healed over 10 years? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think its an automatic given they have.

Saw this on the SEN Breakfast podcast list.

Bloody hell Adam Hartlett has been appointed assistant state coach. Ok its not quiet the same as the glory days of State of Origin footy, but fair effort for someone who was captain coaching bush footy only a couple of years ago.

SANFL state assistant coach ADAM HARTLETT on SEN SA Breakfast (12.5.22)

I suspect there's some tables missing from this archived version of a Herald Sun story, but it confirms what everyone knows anyway - the Dogs get the most frees and Richmond the least. It does reveal however, that the West Lakers are serial duckers, having received the most frees for high tackles. I wonder how many of those were given by Eleni.

Apparently we've given away the most frees for holding the man (equal with Freo)

I suspect there's some tables missing from this archived version of a Herald Sun story, but it confirms what everyone knows anyway - the Dogs get the most frees and Richmond the least. It does reveal however, that the West Lakers are serial duckers, having received the most frees for high tackles. I wonder how many of those were given by Eleni.

Apparently we've given away the most frees for holding the man (equal with Freo)

From the story as the tables don't come up on the Archived article.

There are 5 tables, the first one below, then 2 tables list the plays with most free for and another with the most frees against. Port don't have any players in either individual tables. The last 2 are for teams.

Free Kick Differential Ladder​

ClubForAgainstDiff
Western Bulldogs204154+50
Collingwood191160+31
Carlton190162+28
Adelaide Crows191176+15
Melbourne177163+14
Essendon172166+6
Brisbane Lions176173+3
North Melbourne188185+3
Fremantle190188+2
St Kilda179182-3