Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

It would help if we actually play decent footy against them this week and our stars don't behave like they're our kryptonite. The last three matches against them has made it look like they have us figured out all over the ground. We haven't looked remotely competitive in the last two Showdowns. It has to change this week.
It won't happen, but just this once, it'd be nice to hear Hinkley talking up Port's chances, instead of singing the praises of the opposition.

You wouldn't want to lose your qualifying final, and then play them in week 2 either.

Been a long time out of finals for them, I expect they would be fizzing with energy in week 1 but might have a let down in week 2.

The way it is there’s no guarantee that anyone will beat anyone.
Right now as it stands hawks would be playing Brisbane at the Gabba, good luck winning that one.

If it happens they might just do it. The Hawks are the form side in the comp atm. Hawthorn have Richmond and North Melbourne in their last two games so the chances are they will move up the ladder.

Barring a huge upset Hawthorn will finish somewhere in the eight which is an achievement after losing their first five games. In fact they lost six of their first seven games.

On the other side of the coin Essendon, who held down second spot for a few weeks will miss the eight and Carlton, who held onto second spot for even longer look to be in real danger of not making the eight.

It is a crazy season that is for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a long time out of finals for them, I expect they would be fizzing with energy in week 1 but might have a let down in week 2.
We'll see, but this Hawthorn team kinda reminds me of Brisbane in 2001 - ordinary start to the year, but they won their last 16 games to pinch the flag. I can't see the Hawks going all the way, but I also wouldn't want to play them on the MCG in September.

It’s interesting. Of the finals bound sides Hawthorn, GWS and then maybe Geelong come out of the weekend with the most compelling form lines. Sydney and us got it done. We’re still not humming and it’s a bit frustrating. Forward line without Georgiades has the biggest query and the tendency for our mids to get smashed in the contest every so often when an opposition brings more manic intensity to the game than us. I’d expect better from our collective midfield group, and we need much more reliable output from Wines and Drew especially against other finals teams. The Showdown’s a good test for us as Adelaide will bring heat all over the ground. Our backs will need our midfield to be defensively very sharp. Our forwards will need them driving and keeping the ball forward.

GWS are slipping under the radar a bit here. Beat a hot Hawthorn then the Lions at the Gabba.
The team that wins it this year will need to be firing at the right time, have very few injuries to key players ,brown paper bags for the umps, and a bit of luck. (Sometimes that ball just doesn't bounce your way.)
We are equal 4th in the betting , and bookies are generally on the money . We will soon see.

We'll see, but this Hawthorn team kinda reminds me of Brisbane in 2001 - ordinary start to the year, but they won their last 16 games to pinch the flag. I can't see the Hawks going all the way, but I also wouldn't want to play them on the MCG in September.

They don't have the key position strength that Brisbane had and it's hard to go all the way off the back of small forwards.

GWS are slipping under the radar a bit here. Beat a hot Hawthorn then the Lions at the Gabba.
The team that wins it this year will need to be firing at the right time, have very few injuries to key players ,brown paper bags for the umps, and a bit of luck. (Sometimes that ball just doesn't bounce your way.)
We are equal 4th in the betting , and bookies are generally on the money . We will soon see.

The depth of their talent is massively underrated. They are a genuine threat.

The dogs defense is so shit. I don't understand how Cornes calls this a cracking list
You have to understand that its actually quite difficult to objectively rate the potential of a list, and even harder for such positions to be scrutinised.

Kornes has a vendetta against Bevo, and a hard on for Ken.

Therefore no matter who is on each list, he will always talk up the Dogs list, because doing so makes Bevos achievements (2 GF, 1 Flag) look less impressive, in the same way he will always talk down Ports list, because it makes Kens failures look more acceptable.

Hawthorn are in solid form but I don't really think they're scarier than anyone else. Could see them easily doing the Richmond 2014, especially if they get Brisbane in Brisbane as per the current ladder.

It's such an even year, you could throw a blanket over 1st to 12th. If we're ever jagging a flag under Hinkley, not much more could be going right for us than this. We're a genuine big chance to finish top.

The bigger bodies should grind them down come finals. Happened to us repeatedly when we went the fast strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back