Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

They don't have the key position strength that Brisbane had and it's hard to go all the way off the back of small forwards.
You're probably right. But one thing you know you'll get from this Hawthorn team is a contest - since round 7, they've only had 1 bad game: the 9 goal loss at the Cattery. Their other 2 losses after being 1-6 were by 1 point and 2 points.

Whatever happens in September, they'll be a tough opponent over the next few years.

Most like me thought the Hawks were similar to the 2004-06 team, rebuilding slowly with young first round draft picks. They've probably fasttracked and now in that 2007-08 window.

Mitchell was arguably the brains behind the Eagles flag in 2018, and they let a lot of intel leave when he went back to the Hawks.

Looking forward to the royal commission into the demise of heartland football.

Must be time for another pokies gold rush, with the Vic government handing over hundreds of licenses for cents on the dollar.

I think the most bemusement i have from this year is that we could finish 1st or 2nd hell even top 4 and not have anyone in the 2024 AA squad 😆.

If Zak Butters had the exact same year for Carlton or Collingwood he’d be spoken of as a lock. It’s such a rort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're probably right. But one thing you know you'll get from this Hawthorn team is a contest - since round 7, they've only had 1 bad game: the 9 goal loss at the Cattery. Their other 2 losses after being 1-6 were by 1 point and 2 points.

Whatever happens in September, they'll be a tough opponent over the next few years.

That turd they laid against Geelong pissed me off. Hawthorn have recruited a bunch of big, young athletic quick guys. They should have had their way with the over the hill pussies. Especially since Geebung have been eminently bearable there this year. Annoying loss.
I'd back them to flog them in the finals, when they're on their heat is great

Well done John Longmire in calling out the McRae BS about umpiring and home game bias at the SCG

"It was an extraordinary admission from a coach of a team that has the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL," Longmire said.

"This year they play 14 games at the MCG, they play three at Marvel, that's 17 games essentially in front of their home crowd and they play finals and the Grand Final on their home deck."

Last edited:
Hawthorn are in solid form but I don't really think they're scarier than anyone else. Could see them easily doing the Richmond 2014, especially if they get Brisbane in Brisbane as per the current ladder.

It's such an even year, you could throw a blanket over 1st to 12th. If we're ever jagging a flag under Hinkley, not much more could be going right for us than this. We're a genuine big chance to finish top.
Their recent solid form includes losing badly to Geelong, and getting overrun away against GWS and Port Adelaide.

Lets check the top 4 shall we...

And the result against the Swans was getting humiliated on the MCG in round 7.

Their "being good run" started with the Bulldogs way back in round 8. They got the Giants and Freo in Tassie during that time. And the Lions at Marvel the week after us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back