Review Port v Carlton, What do you mean we won?

Remove this Banner Ad

Post game I thought I heard JHF played 80% FWD in the first half. Saving him for the second?

I too am torn, I can never watch us wanting to lose and thoroughly enjoyed the win, our pressure rating was high, great to see, perhaps we’ve managed this style of play in 2024 so we can sustain it into the finals, unlike last year. However I still wish Hinkley was fired into the sun. Anyway it will be what it will be, bring that game next week and it will be a classic against Sydney. Win only 4 points from top.

Dixon, I’m also torn, he’s slow and unreliable, however his key defender lacked influence, I’m not sure Esava is up to taking the key defender.

Loved the whole midfield.

I ended up watching the replay in its entirety which didn't finish until about 2.00 am.

Some players, eg the 3 amigos were maybe a shade better than they appeared in the first half when watching the game live, but as suggested by others Rozee needs to start on a half forward flank for at least a couple of games to get his confidence back and where he can be a difficult match up for most defences, and maybe it's his new found leaping ability due to the 5 keg weight loss but Dixon mistimed his leap multiple times in the 2nd half in particular and if he had taken half the marks he attempted he would have had at least 5 set shots on goal from inside the 50.

It was good to see Esava have a positive influence as a forward and last night was in my opinion comfortably his best game for the club, overall though it was a team effort that eventually got Port the chocolates.

The single thing that didn't change for the whole 4 qtrs was how f****** useless Brayshaw and BT are as commentators, if kok has any stones at all he should be all over the former like white on rice for his ridiculous franchise comment (but we know he won't), and C7 needs to take a leaf out of the democrats book and rissole `Sleepy' Brian into the wild blue yonder, he struggles with the basic rules of the game and as for his referring to us as `Adelaide,' unfortunately last night wasn't the first time he has c*cked that one up!

Last edited:
HandyAndy. Lol, must have been drinking his own product.

I don't rate Esava, he has zero football awareness, but if he can get by with the instruction MARK BALL KICK GOAL, then he just might help our cause.

Did DBJ do a defensive role on Saad? Hard to see on TV but Saad had no influence.

Read a few comments by Carlton supporters that seemed to think he was playing a "lockdown role".. on DBJ? Maybe Rioli?

They lamented the fact that he never got off the chain last night

either way, his impact on the game was nullified

They kicked one goal in the first, one in the third and none in the last. We slaughtered them in all key stats across those quarters. That second was a debacle, but some very favorable umpiring helped them get momentum. That’s pretty impressive to keep a side second on the ladder, who is a high scoring team, to 2 goals across 3 of the quarters.

This 5 day break shit is laughable, we played on Saturday night and they played Sunday arvo. It was a half a day difference, which would’ve been made up for with our travel.

Oh and they had injuries like every fckn team does at this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This 5 day break shit is laughable, we played on Saturday night and they played Sunday arvo. It was a half a day difference, which would’ve been made up for with our travel.

Plus they played Norf, which shouldn't count as a real opponent.

No no, somehow we had an extra 2 days according to Brayshaw, who mentioned it several times 🙄

Played some really good footy forward at the chattery. I actually prefer him down forward. He is hard to match up on as he so athletic.

We should get Hawk as a forwards assistant coach when we extend Hinkley for another 3 years ;)

Big Sav presented really well, he was a handful. I can see how he frustrated Cats fans because there were times when he couldn't get a handle on the ball, then times he just clunked it. Good to have an athletic forward who can mark when he does it.

Maybe as the main man he will be a better forward than trying to be a third banana to Hawkins and Cameron. Charlie took Weitering out of the game and Georgie for a half anyway feasted between the two big men.

Certainly worth going with the same set up next week. Interesting times for Marshall.

Last edited:
Did DBJ do a defensive role on Saad? Hard to see on TV but Saad had no influence.

Must have, DBJ hardly saw the the ball in the first half but stayed on the ground. Saad was much less influential than he was earlier this year at AO. Hinkley mentioned him in the presser.

Like we have injuries. Never heard that mentioned.

Good performance in the end, but a H&A win none the less, great to knock Carlton and their swagger of automatic Grand finalists down a peg, but I'm keeping my powder dry, we've been here before.
Yeah, if we meet them in a final Hinkley will be all "they need to remember how we overran them on their home deck a few weeks ago" as we proceed to get torched by 9 goals.

We've run out the last couple of games really well, you don't suppose they have scheduled the fitness properly this year?

That was a finals worthy win, really hard contested game from a team who brought the same contested footy to us.

I think we should drop Dixon and play Ratugolea in his place when Marshall is back.
It is not just about goals for Dixon; judge his output on his impact in the ruck and the performance of our 2nd best forward where playing Dixon stops their best defender playing on Ratogolea or heaven forbid when Marshall plays.

There was not much to get excited about that win, unless you're an eternal optimist.

Bergman finding some form was nice, he impressed me. Wines was quite effective with his grunt work. Sav looked alright, but Geelong tried him up forward for years and it didn't work, and his kicking is unreliable. Defence looks better without him in it.

Yeah, we won. Carlton are not playing with the form of a top 4 side though. At times it was an absolute grind and we also couldn't score. It's not the type of footy that is going to win 3/4 finals. You need to be able to score quickly.

Ultimately it means absolutely nothing, other than it appears once again,, the players are trying to keep daddy in a job.

I await the inevitable collapse, once again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port v Carlton, What do you mean we won?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back