Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

They looked like they were on a mission. Defeat wasn’t an option. Got the chocolates.

Last time we played like that in hostile territory, with those stakes, was the 2014 Semi.

The Bulldogs are actually similar to us in that they thrive on being the underdog. Beveridge managed to convince them that the world was against them because of a handful of injuries and a bunch of faux disadvantages like not getting to train on an oval before a game, a few plane flights, staying in a luxury resort for 2 weeks and playing away to a team with the worst home ground record in world sport.

Unfortunately for us, when you finish 1st or 2nd on the ladder, there's nowhere to hide, no way to reduce expectation. And, as always, we crumbled.

6 top 2 finishes. 2 grand finals. Oh and btw, we only saluted in '04 because Gehrig kicked his 100th and in '07 because Judd and Cousins got injured. This is just what we do. We can't handle the pressure and expectation of being expected to win and we just choke. And it will likely never change.

That said, Melbourne were obliterated by West Coast in a 2018 PF and are playing in a GF next week.

The difference is though they don’t have Ken Hinkley as a coach..

They have a good, stable coach who’s been there for 5 years now and hasn’t lost in the same way 20+ times across his coaching career.

When Hinkley goes (assuming the board can finally get rid of the terrible coach), it’ll be a brand new coach, with a new game plan, a new system and structures.

How long will it take to get the team humming and into a GF. It took Goodwin 5 years and an exceptional list (now) to get there.

What other coach in recent times has reached a GF in their first couple of years as the coach?

I suppose the thing is a good side doesn’t usually sack their coach so most new coaches wouldn’t have the cattle.

However, our best players are at the wrong age spectrum. Gray, Boak, Dixon, Jonas have little left in the tank.

Melbourne’s best players are all a great age (Gawn, May, Lever, Oliver, Trac, Langdon etc etc). We have nowhere near that list in terms of players aged 24-28 so I don’t like our chances even with a new coach for quite some time.

A couple of minutes into the game I mentioned to my lad that we had not technically kicked the footy yet.
I was rightly concerned, or so it appears

The Bulldogs are actually similar to us in that they thrive on being the underdog. Beveridge managed to convince them that the world was against them because of a handful of injuries and a bunch of faux disadvantages like not getting to train on an oval before a game, a few plane flights, staying in a luxury resort for 2 weeks and playing away to a team with the worst home ground record in world sport.

Unfortunately for us, when you finish 1st or 2nd on the ladder, there's nowhere to hide, no way to reduce expectation. And, as always, we crumbled.

6 top 2 finishes. 2 grand finals. Oh and btw, we only saluted in '04 because Gehrig kicked his 100th and in '07 because Judd and Cousins got injured. This is just what we do. We can't handle the pressure and expectation of being expected to win and we just choke. And it will likely never change.

What has always baffled me is, the bloke who infused this stink into the club was Mark Williams — was it his time at Collingwood that mindf#cked his approach to September?

And then we follow up with a bloke who played in 3 losing GF’s.

Glory be.

My thoughts:

Slow starts symptomatic of our side - Drew should have started the game on Libba. Doesn't know the meaning of taking a backward step.

Alliir likes to roam. Should never have started on English. Take Hannam instead and let AA roam loose.

Why are people rating Marshall's game? Getting the ball touched off the mark from 25 metres directly infront is unforgivable.
I'm not rating his game at all. In Q1 re waltzed around like a picnic footballer. No urgency at all. He is clever with his hands, he has some talent, but he does so many stupid things and is miles off being a dependable player.

We got to second but we were miles off Brisbane and Melbourne and as it turned out, Dogs

I don't think we were in capability. I mean we beat the dogs a few rounds ago when we had to fly in to marvel to do it and should have won by more and how easy is it to forget the qualifying final two weeks ago.

This is a pure psychological issue. Lost the momentum early, everyone shat the bed except Bonner (what a turnaround he has had - I want to know what he was doing/ who he has been seeing over the last few months because the rest of the team could learn a thing or two).

At no point were we playing our own game everything was desperate and reactive the dogs players probably couldn't believe their luck.

That is why this is especially pathetic. We had the skills to win we had the (theoretical) gameplan to win and we didn't. This team is broken whether it's the leadership group or coaches they are mentally broken.

Maybe we do need chocco back in the role he has done so well for Richmond and Melbourne?

If the team does not recognise that psychological failure and at least attempt to address it I won't be renewing my membership.

It's okay to completely **** up now and again what is inexcusable is not addressing the route cause of that ****-up and I won't be giving them my money until they do.

Imagine having an elite AA intercept defender like AA and instead of being able to use him as an interceptor he’s required to be a final line defensive player because we’ve refused to develop any key backs over 190cm and McKenzie and Jones are then totally ineffective.

Brilliant coaching move again
This is ONE obvious problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the origin of what happen power?

Back at Aami I used to sit in the pocket in the west Lakes drive end. There was an old bloke who used to take his disabled kid or he might have been a carer.

Anyway they sat in front of me and he used to just scream all day long GAWWW GEEE KICK THE BLOODY THING.

The disabled kid when the crowd used to get angry and restless because we were playing shit used to ask the old guy "what happen poweerrrrr?!?" and he used to give some answer like "they just aren't playing well."

Then one day when we were playing Brisbane and Troy Chaplin sent Daniel Rich to the morgue in front of us in the pocket, the kid was asking what happen power and the old guy says "a player has been knocked out."

Kid responds "where ambulance" and starts crying.

Those were the days. So now every time we play awfully like in 2011, it's "what happen power" and when someone gets smacked it's "where ambulance"

I'm still undecided as to whether that was a choke or simply a lack of preparation, motivation and effort.

Leaning towards the latter.
Didn't look like fear to me, looked like complacency.
Looked like some guys were half asleep during the national anthem.
Thought it was actually a good thing, because we often get too hyped up, causing us to be slow out of the blocks.
Thinking we would be relaxed and focussed - and off to a flyer.

I was wrong!!!!

Give it a ******* rest. The game was gone by then.

We were down 44-7 at 1/4 time, we'd handed the Dogs barometer a free hit at the start, and thus we got them going before we knew what happening.

In no way is that touched goal a "turning point" or a crucial moment. We were 37 points down at 1/4 time, 58 down at half time. It was over. The crucial moments had been decided well and truly by then.

Blame the senior players, they were to mentally weak, and failed again.

Blame the coaches Hinkley obviously, but include Bassett, Voss, Montgomery & Schofield in it as well, they failed to.

But it wasn't Marshall's fault, by that stage we were shifting deck chairs on the Titanic. At some point the view may have looked good, but by then we were sunk and season 2021 ended up in the North Atlantic
Has the used car salesman resigned yet?

re the above you're correct. let me rephrase that to say "the moment of....deflated the players who finally decided to show something "

That aside he is a soft spud who should be moved on. Can we send him and fantasia to Adelaide for their good midfielder?

If they take motlop we'll pay his salary to get it done

Fantasia is a perfect crow

So did the sound for NTUA fu** up at the ground or was it a broadcast thing? Seemed like it skipped about 20 secs in then there were 2 versions playing for a while. Absolutely set the tone for the game.

Reminded me of 2015 and the Farris bros getting stuck awkwardly on the ground as the game started.

Can anyone answer this? Was I having pre game hallucinations? I hadn't drunk much at that point

So did the sound for NTUA fu** up at the ground or was it a broadcast thing? Seemed like it skipped about 20 secs in then there were 2 versions playing for a while. Absolutely set the tone for the game.

Reminded me of 2015 and the Farris bros getting stuck awkwardly on the ground as the game started.

Sounded normal at the ground

Slow starts symptomatic of our side - Drew should have started the game on Libba. Doesn't know the meaning of taking a backward step.
Lycett is the prime culprit and the instigator of this I believe.

Has been a notorious slow starter and decides to show up in games after half-time.

If we want to fix our slow starts we tell him the truth, that his slow starts are costing us and any slow start now will see him dropped regardless of how good he plays in the 4th Qtr

or we hand hayes his spot and if lycett wants it back he’s plays football from the opening bounce.

Until we address lycett those slow starts will stay.

Just watched the first quarter again, because I wanted to hate-fap to it. Jeez we were bad. Just not switched on at all, anywhere on the ground.

- First goal in 50 seconds
- Boak then pulls out of a physical contest with Smith at the very next ball up
- Aliir kicking straight to an uncontested English after a mark.
- Houston losing his footing in the goalsquare against Vandermeer
- Gray out on the full
- Dixon nearly misses his foot with a snap shot that goes sideways
- Jonas bumping over Naughton 80m off the ball, which led to a 50m and a goal
- Jonas getting out marked by Mitch Hannan
- Houston getting out marked by Mitch Hannan
- Butters pulling out of a contest then falling over on the 50m which led to a goal
- Midfield nowhere
- Zero movement up field
- Drew starting on the bench
- Ladhams trying to mark the ball 3 times with his hands 3 feet apart
- DBJ losing his opponent 5 times
- Wrestle back control only to score 0.1 from 3 shots that should have been 2.1 at least
- Giving up 2 goals in the final minute after that to end the quarter

How?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back