Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

For two weeks everyone said Port can't let the Bulldogs get a good start. Supporters, the media, old ladies at bingo, kids playing on the swings, dogs howling at night to each other, ants on their way to a picnic.

And what did we do ... ?

Exactly. How many times do we have to let them get to a flyer before we learn.

Only hope we had is as a supporter group we pre planned to release pod 1 & 4 from the hill to run onto the field before their 3rd goal

Everything looks clear in hindsight, but you can't help feeling that starting Gray in the centre ahead of Drew at the start of the game was absolutely moronic (especially with the pathetic display Lycett gave). The ball was just flying out of stoppage for the first few minutes with zero resistance. Gray is a burst player when the oppo have heavy legs, not a starting midfielder. When Drew came in and started to put some work into Libba and applied some form of pressure we looked much better.

If we restrict the flow in the starting 10 minutes I think we don't get blown away like we did, and are probably in with a chance as out post quarter time play was better. We know we are a shit starting side, putting some effort in keeping it tight early and making the oppo work for their goals was surely the smart thing to do. It just frustrates me so much that there was nothing in place to prevent that shit from hapenning.

In the TV commentary last night, the AFL CEO's brother mentioned that Footscray's previous biggest finals win was 70 points against West Coast in 1998.

What he didn't mention was that their next game after that was a 68 point loss to Adelaide in the PF.

I mention it because I think our 2021 season has been similar to Footscray's 1998 season.

They were coming off a heartbreaking loss in the PF the year before, had a strong season, finished second and earned a home PF with the week off. They seemed to be on a mission to atone for the previous year and went into the PF as heavy favourite against a side that was travelling for the third week in a row. Like Port in 2021, they were blown away early and effectively out of the contest before it had barely started.

It's notable that, after that debacle, it took Footscray a decade to get back to the PF and almost two decades to actually win one and reach the GF. A similar or worse trajectory for Port won't surprise me.

Rozees mum complaining about our fans booing them off and being negative and ‘not true supporters’ on one of the facebook pages is triggering.

Youre a saints fan whos been part of the club for 5 minutes and want to tell people how to support?

I just don't understand how you can be so gutless and unprepared going into a game like that. I actually can't comprehend it. I strongly dislike Hinkley and think he has sh*t for brains but this was 90% on the playing group.
Hang on. Didn't they give the players 4 days off until last Friday? That had alarm bells written all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozees mum complaining about our fans booing them off and being negative and ‘not true supporters’ on one of the facebook pages is triggering.

Youre a saints fan whos been part of the club for 5 minutes and want to tell people how to support?

This is the future Macca. Flash young dudes don’t like criticism.

Everything looks clear in hindsight, but you can't help feeling that starting Gray in the centre ahead of Drew at the start of the game was absolutely moronic (especially with the pathetic display Lycett gave). The ball was just flying out of stoppage for the first few minutes with zero resistance. Gray is a burst player when the oppo have heavy legs, not a starting midfielder. When Drew came in and started to put some work into Libba and applied some form of pressure we looked much better.

If we restrict the flow in the starting 10 minutes I think we don't get blown away like we did, and are probably in with a chance as out post quarter time play was better. We know we are a sh*t starting side, putting some effort in keeping it tight early and making the oppo work for their goals was surely the smart thing to do. It just frustrates me so much that there was nothing in place to prevent that sh*t from hapenning.
That was the entire point. We all knew the Dogs would come out breathing fire early, we had to neutralize it and hold firm and drag them into a arm wrestle where their fatigue, a few knocks and all the travel may have been a factor.

Instead we put Robbie on the ball instead of Drew, Robbie as great as he is can't run defensively at that level anymore. Drew was on the bench watching it all unfold, by the time he came on, Libba was up and about, the Dogs were full of confidence and we were shot. It's one of the worst coaching moves I've ever seen. It defies any sense of logic to attempt it.

We have the Dogs a jump start which was the one thing they needed. From there we were dead and buried.

I strongly dislike Hinkley and think he has sh*t for brains but this was 90% on the playing group.

How? The likelihood of 18 players all just independently having a down game is statistically improbable, unless there is a common experience amongst them, like a virus, or a loser coach instructing them.

If the time stamps are correct then:

Ollie Wines - 2 disposals in the first 18 minutes
Travis Boak - 2 disposals in the first 17 minutes, none in the first 9
Karl Amon - 2 disposals in the first 24 minutes
Zac Butters - 3 disposals in the first 20 minutes
Williem Drew - 0 disposals in first 20 minutes
Xavier Duursma - 2 disposals in 23 minutes
Robbie Gray - 0 disposals in first 24 minutes
Connor Rozee - 3 disposals in 23 minutes

16 minutes in it was 32-0. Our midfields disposal count at that time:
Wines - 1
Boak - 1
Amon - 1
Butters - 2
Drew - 0
Duursma - 1
Gray - 0
Rozee - 2

16 minutes in, their counterparts:
Smith - 7
Macrae - 6
Dunkley - 2
Hunter - 4
Liberatore - 7
Bontompelli - 3
Treloar - 3

I just don't get how our midfield could be that unprepared for a scrap in a Prelim Final.

These are absolutely damning stats.
It takes no talent to go hard at the ball.
It takes guts and grit.
We don’t have it.

How? The likelihood of 18 players all just independently having a down game is statistically improbable, unless there is a common experience amongst them, like a virus, or a loser coach instructing them.
Generally I agree, but players also drive standards and drive mood and passion. Especially leaders and your highly paid, highly fancied, high value players. Hinkley's inability to find a solution to the issues with this club is a ****ing disgrace, but I refuse to absolve our players.

You beat GWS and Essendon when they were outside the top eight at the time. Anyway, it’s quibbling. Finishing second after the h/a when realistically you’re the 6th-8th best side is one of the most dangerous list positions you can be in. Port need to do an honest accounting of where they’re at and not slough of this loss as an aberration or an off night for Kenny. You’re miles off it.

Where were you a fortnight ago smartarse?

Disappointing... So many times throughout the season we would let opposition teams get out to great starts, conceding the first 3, 4, 5 goals. Then to get exposed again. Game was done in the first 5 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back