Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

who cares. he was marginally less inept than the rest of the sh*t campaigners in the first half when the game was actually up for grabs. who cares what happened after first time when the game was lost in the first 10 minutes.
Because we had managed a tiny bit of momentum, that kick would've gotten us back to 40, and a chance at at least making the scoreboard not disastrous from there on out.

Every. Bit. Counts.

Even if the game is already lost.

Play to the end or ****ing call a forfeit.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I know nobody wants to hear this but last night was definitely one of those nights where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I heard Justin Leppitsch talk during the week about the 2018 prelim where Collingwood beat Richmond and how in reviewing the game they were staggered at how often the ball would just bounce the perfect way for a Collingwood player to get a quick break or a quick hack kick forward would just land straight in a Collingwood players arms, etc. This actually happened to us last night. I'm not planning on watching the game back but if you do I reckon you'll notice how often the ball just falls their way. Sometimes you just have those nights.

Of course, this doesn't in any way excuse our performance. We sucked and deserved to be smashed. But just some context to the bare horror of the margin.

The only unlucky part I could think of was when Stevic called for a ball up in like one second when Wines actually extracted the ball out and we streamed forward in numbers.

But we were pounced from the start. I expected at the opening bounce for Lycett to bash straight into Martin but he ended up losing that hitout and the tone was set there.

Boak, Gray and Dixon missing easy set shots killed any chance of a comeback though. When those three who are our most senior guys crumble it's basically over and set the whole example. They see that our senior guys are losers and it dribbles down to the rest of the group except for Riley Bonner.

I haven't looked for it but has anyone at the club apologised to supporters for last night's performance? I don't mean things like Tom Jonas's denial of responsibility. I mean an actual, unequivocal apology.
I was thinking the same.

Not even a mention of the fans from Ken.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know nobody wants to hear this but last night was definitely one of those nights where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I heard Justin Leppitsch talk during the week about the 2018 prelim where Collingwood beat Richmond and how in reviewing the game they were staggered at how often the ball would just bounce the perfect way for a Collingwood player to get a quick break or a quick hack kick forward would just land straight in a Collingwood players arms, etc. This actually happened to us last night. I'm not planning on watching the game back but if you do I reckon you'll notice how often the ball just falls their way. Sometimes you just have those nights.

Of course, this doesn't in any way excuse our performance. We sucked and deserved to be smashed. But just some context to the bare horror of the margin.

100000% this.

Felt the exact same. Yes we were poorly coached and yes the effort wasn’t exceptional but every single ****ing bounce, every single handball, touch of the ball, fumble went their way.

The only other time I can remember a team get that many deflections, quick kicks, blind handballs, deflections, running slightly over the ball etc go their way was when we played Brisbane earlier in the year.

I rewatched that first quarter this morning and nearly every goal was some flukey bounce, crumb or crazy mark (from a prior flukey bounce to get it in there as a 1 on 1 as well).

It’s not worth mentioning to any neutrals and is by no means an excuse but literally every single bounce in the entire game went the way of the Dogs, every possession in the contest seemed to just go their way.

It won’t be brought up by the media, it wouldn’t be acknowledged by opposition fans or probably even our own fans but it was at least half the reason of the massive scoreboard difference in the first 1.5 quarters when we were 50 down.

Lycett, Jonas, McKenzie and the coaching were horrific but that was one of those games that usually happens during the home and away season where just every single bounce, fumble, deflection goes your way and it really does kill your chance if it results in a bulk of goals and a run of momentum that crushes the other teams chances.

It happened in a home and away game against Brisbane a year or two ago which didn’t effect too much. This time it happened in a prelim final. It’s annoying but it happens. The players and coaches still needed to be far better than they were though.

100000% this.

Felt the exact same. Yes we were poorly coached and yes the effort wasn’t exceptional but every single ******* bounce, every single handball, touch of the ball, fumble went their way.

The only other time I can remember a team get that many deflections, quick kicks, blind handballs, deflections, running slightly over the ball etc go their way was when we played Brisbane earlier in the year.

I rewatched that first quarter this morning and nearly every goal was some flukey bounce, crumb or crazy mark (from a prior flukey bounce to get it in there as a 1 on 1 as well).

It’s not worth mentioning to any neutrals and is by no means an excuse but literally every single bounce in the entire game went the way of the Dogs, every possession in the contest seemed to just go their way.

It won’t be brought up by the media, it wouldn’t be acknowledged by opposition fans or probably even our own fans but it was at least half the reason of the massive scoreboard difference in the first 1.5 quarters when we were 50 down.

Lycett, Jonas, McKenzie and the coaching were horrific but that was one of those games that usually happens during the home and away season where just every single bounce, fumble, deflection goes your way and it really does kill your chance if it results in a bulk of goals and a run of momentum that crushes the other teams chances.

It happened in a home and away game against Brisbane a year or two ago which didn’t effect too much. This time it happened in a prelim final. It’s annoying but it happens. The players and coaches still needed to be far better than they were though.

Yep. Normally I'd think this was just lounge room excuse making but to hear Leppa - a respected figure who has been involved in plenty of success and has no reason to make excuses - come out with that during the week so matter of factly years down the track made me pause and think. That it would happen to us the very next week is pretty crazy.

When you watch some of the highlights(lowlights) of the game it is remarkable how many times we were first to the ball but fumbled and bumbled while the dogs were very clean and just took it away. It happens repeatedly . Unless we can improve in that area we are going nowhere . There is something amiss with our training techniques or mental preparedness .
Or are we just not talented enough? Is pretty depressing if there isn't a fix . I know...sack Hinkley. But that's probably not happening eh?

I can understand where this sentiment comes from but it's not the feeling I had. For me, almost every time the ball bounced the wrong way or a hack went to the Bulldogs' player, it was due to our players not hitting the ball with the necessary intent or not being in the right position (ie drawn to the ball or just watching on - I’m thinking mostly of of captain here).

There have been other games this year, I would put in the 'everything went wrong' category - the Brisbane game particularly - but last night was a lack of intent, poor preparation and woeful coaching.

Last edited:
How do you not even show up for a home preliminary final? They didn’t even turn up. Unforgivable.
Even more so when you look at our assistant coaches. Apart from Voss all have played and lost in home finals that they’ve gone into warm favourites.
How this happens as you pointed out is unforgivable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feet up watching replays of Clarry, Max and Tracc dismantling Brisbane. You?

Getting (deservedly) trolled by Melbourne fans.

I feel like I woke up in an alternate timeline sometime around 2017, this just confirms it for mine.

Thinking back to some of the kamikaze efforts from our boys in the 2004 preliminary final against St. Kilda - particularly a couple of Michael Wilson efforts on the wing. He had no regard for his own safety, but took 2 gutsy marks to repel attacks from the Saints. That's the sort of stuff that wins critical finals: at no stage did we see any such efforts from Port players last night. No wonder we embarrassed ourselves on the big stage when it mattered most.

Undoubtedly this is correct. How much of it is our creation though. Poor positioning, being sucked into contests, etc. They held their shape at contests, worked to their structure and set up numbers in specific areas at the back of contests and worked the ball to the numbers.

The other thing though ..

My wife asked me why do they not look as 'sharp' as I called it. She said can't they train that.

The truth and reality is you can't, it is mainly mental. The application, the on edge mentality. It defines who reacts first, it defines how you read the play, etc. We were extremely slow, we were not sharp. The reality is we weren't switched on, we weren't reacting quick enough, we were always a half second below them who were running on all cylinders, and that is what makes a ball bounce look bad, because they made their luck because they were just incredibly sharp.

For me the break clearly was bad for us. We obviously didn't train hard enough and we obviously tried to come into the game with a very relaxed and not nervous mindset. It failed. Switch on, get on the edge, and if that means feel the nerves then feel them. You just can't afford to be trying to play slow controlled football in a prelim when you just need to go 100% from minute 1.

I'm over this. The Port Adelaide Football Club I know and love no longer exists and hasn't for a long time. It's run by exactly the kind of no-hopers that Fos Williams talked about. Second rate coaching, gutless/delusional administration who'll never make a hard decision for the benefit of the club, useless AFL selected board. Nothing will change while people who don't share the Port ethos are in charge.

I'm going to do my best to disengage emotionally from the club. I think the process has already started, I'm flat as a tack about last night but not as shattered as I would have been in the past. I'll keep track of what's going on but there are better ways to spend a weekend. Looking forward to once again being able to watch a Port match confident that, win or lose, I'll see a real Port Adelaide performance. Not holding my breath. I just hope I don't weaken and fall back into the trap by start of next season.

Thinking back to some of the kamikaze efforts from our boys in the 2004 preliminary final against St. Kilda - particularly a couple of Michael Wilson efforts on the wing. He had no regard for his own safety, but took 2 gutsy marks to repel attacks from the Saints. That's the sort of stuff that wins critical finals: at no stage did we see any such efforts from Port players last night. No wonder we embarrassed ourselves on the big stage when it mattered most.

Burton squibbing letting Naughton take a horizontal mark on the wing

Jonas should of made sure Johannison didnt see next week and chuck a knee or elbow in...SOMETHING and JJ outmarks him in the air

Caleb Daniel outmarking motlop because Steven was too slow to make up 3metres

Motlop again complaining to the ump when the ball is still live and wines kept it in just for him

Ladhams not realising he has two hands and one of the biggest players dimension wise on the field

Full of soft players we are nowhere near the Port Adelaide of 2004

Has anyone come up with anything to make them feel better?

I actually don’t know what to do. What do you do when a team representing a club you have invested so much emotional energy in since you were 5 years old does not show up in a Preliminary Final where all the odds are stacked in their favour?

It might sound a bit dramatic, but I’m ******* empty and lost today.
It may sound corny but I have spent hours on Big Footy, it's quite cathartic to know you're not alone. Haven't posted much but would like everyone to know their conversation is appreciated.

Similarly, I can understand posters wanting to step away. Please don't, your participation is valuable and could be the tonic for helping everyone's mental health.

Special about out to those overseas who may not have friends/family to share this with.

We Are Port Adelaide. Not those imposters in the box and on the field yesterday :thumbsu:

My thoughts:

Slow starts symptomatic of our side - Drew should have started the game on Libba. Doesn't know the meaning of taking a backward step.

Alliir likes to roam. Should never have started on English. Take Hannam instead and let AA roam loose.
Yes, and yes. We've been told, and seen for ourselves, that Aliir plays his roaming role and is less effective when given a lockdown job. Why did we change it?

And why won't anyone at the Club - anyone, admit that something went wrong and/or mistakes were made? It was exactly the same after that North mess. We often accuse the other lot of sweeping scandal under the carpet but there seems to be a bloody thick plush pile down at Alberton...

EDIT : typos. Bloody phone

Last edited:
I would offer him up for trade this year… we traded out Chad and got good returns, rozee hasn’t had a thousandth of the impact Chad has, not even close. Yet I feel we could get a bit for him. Soft and flakey, the very antithesis of what a Port Adelaide player should be.

chop him now.
Na

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back