Game Day Port vs Carlton, Round 20, 2024 @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these stats need clarification. When we talk about beating top 4 or top 8 sides, are we talking about their position at the time we played them, where they finished the season, or where they sit currently looking retrospectively? These are all very different things. Not making excuses but part of the reason top sides are top sides is because they beat other sides, good and bad. A win against Sydney a few weeks ago doesn't look quite as good now as it did then. The opposite with Fremantle. The real stat that matters is premierships and to lesser extent, finals wins (but the top sides play less finals). You don't need any more than that.
Well we beat Geelong and then weeks later told here it was hallow!

Currently in the top 8 we’ve beat Geelong, Essendon and red hot Freeo.

Interestingly, we’ve beaten Hawks and Dogs, one convincingly, some experts have dogs pencilled for a prelim and both have better premiership odds than us 😂 we’re 9th in premiership betting, that’s how rated the punters have us.

Ahhhh, the good old days when we knew how to football.

View attachment 2059293
Let’s not forget that was Chico’s first real year in charge. We started with stuff all wins as Choco had our boys playing a possession game plan.
Then after half way it started to click, we won a few and then that flowed through into 2001. 2000 Carlton was a good side

Well we beat Geelong and then weeks later told here it was hallow!

Currently in the top 8 we’ve beat Geelong, Essendon and red hot Freeo.

Interestingly, we’ve beaten Hawks and Dogs, one convincingly, some experts have dogs pencilled for a prelim and both have better premiership odds than us 😂 we’re 9th in premiership betting, that’s how rated the punters have us.

They would both be ahead of us if we hadn't beaten them too. It's the double-edged sword of winning, you improve your position and you ruin the position of those clubs around you.

The only position that matters is that which a team finishes at the end of the year. These stats are based on that.

The fact we have lost our last 20 games, away, against opposition that has finished that high is remarkable, and despite any of the curveballs a lop sided draw might bring about, clearly highlights a trend.
So even if we win tonight, we still won't have beaten a top 4 team away from home because carlton will be 5th at the end of the round and long shot to finish top 4 at the end of the minor round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont worry, this guy is a Port supporter but won’t watch our games but will watch the Crows weekly. Frequently talking them up but bashing the club he loves
Do you even read what I post? Have a look at my recent posts regarding the Crows. They're bottom of the barrel trash.
I watch all our games, it's just the last fortnight I haven't , purely because there's absolutely nothing to get excited about and I've had a lot on in recent weeks that I'll prioritize over watching groundhog day. I don't need to bash the club I love, they bash themselves hard enough and I'm not a fan of self harm. I'm not like you and the other bunch of losers on this forum that are are still hanging onto something changing under this incompetent football department, it's time for the place to crash and burn to generate some new people into this place that I "love" yes.

Last edited:
The only position that matters is that which a team finishes at the end of the year. These stats are based on that.

The fact we have lost our last 20 games, away, against opposition that has finished that high is remarkable, and despite any of the curveballs a lop sided draw might bring about, clearly highlights a trend.
If you based it on where teams finish at the end of the year then it's not much more useful than ladder position. For a truly useful picture, and I think to prove what most people here Intuit, you basically need a trajectory metric. We beat teams when they're down or on the slide and we loose against good teams or teams on the climb.

So even if we win tonight, we still won't have beaten a top 4 team away from home because carlton will be 5th at the end of the round and long shot to finish top 4 at the end of the minor round.
They're likely to finish top 4, if they don't, Geelong might, and we might've won one.

Do you even read what I post? Have a look at my recent posts regarding the Crows. They're bottom of the barrel trash.
I watch all our games, it's just the last fortnight I haven't , purely because there's absolutely nothing to get excited about and I've had a lot on in recent weeks that I'll prioritize over watching groundhog day. I don't need to bash the club I love, they bash themselves hard enough and I'm not a fan of self harm. I'm not like you and the other bunch of losers on this forum that are are still hanging onto something changing under this incompetent football department.
Catherine Tate (Nan) What a load of old shyt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back