Positives Vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

RichosGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
your house
AFL Club
Richmond
- Jack Riewoldt is an excellent footballer. I don't think anyone expected him to have the results he's had this year. Just needs a little help

- Angus Graham has come from nowhere and is showing really strong signs.

- Newman is playing the way a captain should. He is really stepping up.

- Cotchin copped a hard tag today but was still strong in the stoppages

- Webberly was good today.

- Competed well for 3/4's of the game. The last quarter was always going to be tough coming of that Port game.

1. Our fightback. From about half way through the second quarter to the last 5 minutes of the 3rd we were the better team. Which is really pleasing when you consider the quality of the opposition (even minus St Nick)
  2. Dustin Martin, was flying until he got that corkie. Seems to be not too far away from a match dominating performance.
  3. Jack Reiwoldt. One man forward line. If he could just be a bit more consistent with his set shots.
  4. Reiwoldts mark... so good it deserves its own mention!:D:thumbsu:
  5. Ben Cousins playing his best game of the season.
  6. Gus Graham looking like a genuine ruck prospect. Shades of D. Hille there today.
  7. Tambling looking like he may be finding some form.

Reiwoldt is an out and out champion and I wish we had him too, if it wasnt for the tiprat you guys might have had had us and up untill the last 15 minutes I didnt count you out. great game and my 2nd team is looking damn good atm..if we drop I want you guys to smash those tanking Demons in the years to come.

Damn good showing from a young squad tonight

p.s. Simmonds had a damn good last game

POSITIVES

• Knowing that we are on the right track
  • We contested and didn't embarrass ourselves in a primetime game
  • Being 44 points down and fighting back... years gone past that would've ended up being a 100+ pt flogging
  • Winning clearances and contested ball against quality seasoned midfielders
  • Getting another game into players like Nas, Webbs, Astbury etc and having them learn from it
  • Reiwoldt backing up and not flaking it it the spotlight
  • Newman showing the football community that he is indeed a worthy skipper on the field
  • Hardwick being a "players coach" and coaching the players from the sideline offering up direct feedback... this is huge for developing players... nowhere to hide. certainly beats copping a spray over the phone and then walking it off around the boundary line
NEGATIVES

• No forward support from Nason, Morton and Nahas... all outplayed and weren't any danger going forward
  • Ditto... Nason, Morton and Nahas (and others) just couldn't get enough forward pressure onto St Kilda's rebounding defenders... too many times 2~3 players running and breaking the lines
  • Missing gettable shots on goal early missing a chance to apply scoreboard pressure early on
  • McGuane... looked really out of sorts. Gave away some really cheap frees when contact just wasn't required
  • Griff not getting up for the game and being a second target up forward

Positives:
- We smashed the Saints at the clearances, 41-27 with 21 coming from Cotchin Martin & Tuck.
- We didn't get blown away like we did early in the year. Loved the way we stuck to our gameplan and fought our way back into the game.
- Jack second 6 goal haul in 3 weeks, consistency is starting to come, now he just needs to get a partner in crime.
- Some of our ball movement through the middle of the ground in the 3rd quarter was great play. We need to keep taking these sorts of risks even if they don't come off all the time, as we look so much better playing like that.

Negatives:
- Our disposal was shithouse tonight. After a few weeks of operating at 80% efficiency we really struggled tonight to hit targets. As mentioned above though when we did get it right we looked really good and made the Saints struggle.
- Lack of tackling pressure. After last weeks world record tackle count we could even break 60 this week. I know we're a young side and there will be ups and downs but if we want to get better then we need 15-20 tackles a quarter.

The main positive for mine was that we were basically making the right moves and trying to take the right course of action, it was just that the players' skills weren't up to it. The usual suspects in White, King, Tuck, McGuane would all let us down during a promising buildup and the ball would come straight back. There were also a few players with normally good disposal who just turned it over repeatedly, which coupled with the shockers that basically our whole forwardline (bar a certain Tasmanian lad) put it really crippled us, but chances are these players will rebound back to their normal game so I'm not too worried about that.

As soon as we get rid of the poor disposers of the ball and get back in Foley, Moore, Connors (shit, even Jackson is an upgrade on King in the same role), and hopefully a few of the youngsters with good disposal (Dea, Post, Griffiths, etc.) we'll be a much better team.

reiwoldt and martin class above as what now seems the usual.

webberly impressed, simmonds had the respect to retire:p

positive - st kilda played in a grand final last year and we were 1-9 heading into this game
jack :thumbsu:

negative - people seem quick to write players off after one poor game

About to hit the sack, but just had a look at the stats and thought it was pretty shocking to see Cotchins Efficiecy was at 29%. Not really a positive but it's something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoyed watching your mob tonight. Starting to look like a good team. As has been noted above, the idea was there just the execution lacking at times. Couldn't fault the endeavour. Love being able to barrack for cuzzy. Couldn't do it when he was a coaster but I've got a soft spot for him.

I also enjoyed the endeavour your guys showed tonight. A young side that are still learning to play together and doing the 1%ers. Probably some dead wood to still replace, but you've already unearthed some good players. Astbury looks decent as you'd know, Nason had an off night but has a dip, Martin and Cotchin are gems. I've got a good impression of Hardwick too, like his passion.

About to hit the sack, but just had a look at the stats and thought it was pretty shocking to see Cotchins Efficiecy was at 29%. Not really a positive but it's something.

i wouldn't worry about that. cotch was closely checked, hence although he was first to the ball, alot of the time he only has time to just hack the ball forward to get the clearance, and it falls into the hands of saints defenders dropping back.

it's not as if he was missing these targets when he is actually spotting up players.

I also enjoyed the endeavour your guys showed tonight. A young side that are still learning to play together and doing the 1%ers. Probably some dead wood to still replace, but you've already unearthed some good players. Astbury looks decent as you'd know, Nason had an off night but has a dip, Martin and Cotchin are gems. I've got a good impression of Hardwick too, like his passion.

you're right.

just on astbury, he's really impressive, has clean hands and gets to the right places with composure. it's a shame he didn't finish off his two very gettable shots at goal. i think he simply had a bad night kicking for goal. is normally a very accurate kick, wouldn't worry about it.

Positives:
- We smashed the Saints at the clearances, 41-27 with 21 coming from Cotchin Martin & Tuck.
- We didn't get blown away like we did early in the year. Loved the way we stuck to our gameplan and fought our way back into the game.
- Jack second 6 goal haul in 3 weeks, consistency is starting to come, now he just needs to get a partner in crime.
- Some of our ball movement through the middle of the ground in the 3rd quarter was great play. We need to keep taking these sorts of risks even if they don't come off all the time, as we look so much better playing like that.

Negatives:
- Our disposal was shithouse tonight. After a few weeks of operating at 80% efficiency we really struggled tonight to hit targets. As mentioned above though when we did get it right we looked really good and made the Saints struggle.
- Lack of tackling pressure. After last weeks world record tackle count we could even break 60 this week. I know we're a young side and there will be ups and downs but if we want to get better then we need 15-20 tackles a quarter.

an under 40 point defeat against them is not a bad effort.

fantastic game, Dimma is really implemented a different mind set. we were better in the middle than the saints, our clearance work was exceptional though as always out outside disposal was woeful, though that will come.. in 2-3 years time our webberleys, martins (i know is a good kick but can make a bad decision), astburys and all players under 22 etc would have gained experience and therefore become comfortable and we will start to see good improvment. we do still have poor players, let us not forget that, we have to be realistic when we do still have players the likes of king, white, collins, and farmer, though hardwick is probably getting the best out of them and testing them which is what we want isnt it?

Positives:
- Jr
- Cotch and Dustin, they really do look a lethal combo inside
- Gus has stepped up, hopefully he can be the support for the Vixon and Browne for the future
- I saw something different from Deledio tonight, really stepped up i thought, he was ferocious at the ball, really going in hard, i thought that was an admirable game by him i was impressed
- Newman now was the right choice as captain

Negatives:
- could be a positive but morton has to go, we dont want a player like that at our club
- nahas was really dissapointing, stevey baker is a good pocket, but nahas wasn't good, might need another kick up the bum
- i know nason had a tagging role on gilbert in the 1st half but you gotta be ball first in the forward line at times when it hits the deck, lead away when theres movment of the pill but when it hits the deck you get in there
-last mcguane, white, collins, farmer... bad games, try and redeem yourselves all it could be the chop

I agree with what everyone has said, but i will eat some humble pie. I thought Jake King played a very good game. I've knocked him for a couple of seasons, but if he continues to play like last night, good on him, and i hope he gets more opportunity. I thought a four to six goal margin was a fair result (our conversion hurt us), and i was impressed that we just kept going. We will beat the Eagles next week, no doubt.

Positives:
* Played hard to get back into the game instead of giving up.
* Opposition fans are now starting to take notice, the scoreboard isnt a great indicator of where our team is at. We are nothing like Fitzroy in their last year.
* Jack continues to dominate and might now get some recognition after an effort like that on a Friday night game.

Negatives:
* Slow start and not taking the chances that we did get. It could have been a very different game.
* Still lacking in skills, but at least we are making up for that in effort. Once our skills match our effort then look out!

I was pretty happy with the game, maybe coz i didnt get there until 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter lol. But i just sense something good is happening, we are heading the right way i am sure of it.

* Cuz's game will shut the knockers up for a couple of weeks hopefully. Was always going to need a few games back to back to run into form

* JR - backing it up week after week

* Gus - 4 solid games in a row

* Newman - leading brilliantly each week, just shaded JR as our best imo

* Simmo - think back to how Bowden and Brown bowed out last year with absolute floggings. It was nice to farewell a vet with a creditable team effort

* Good form over past month is building confidence and self-belief. We are no longer over-awed by teams like Saints, not too far away from beating them on a regular basis (2012 onwards me thinks)

* Switching off the live radio coverage on ABC about 20 min into 2nd qtr. Schwab and Parkin give me shits, constant comments like "I've never seen such mismatches all over the ground, boys vs men etc" OK dudes we get it. The footy world knows we are playing kids - have you only just woken up to this? been doing it for half a season

Positives:
Jack - has surprised me this year as to his competitiveness and I'm now sold on him. Go Jack!
Astbury - called it a few weeks back but I do think he will be a gun for us in years to come. Whether it's at CHF or CHB I'm not fussed....just shows plenty at this stage of his career.
Martin & Cotchin - really looking forward to the future with these 2 running the midfield.
Lids - found his position at half back!!
Endeavour - loving the effort the boys are putting into tackling and the 1%'s which leads into...
Hardwick - loving the way he's getting the boys to play hard.

Negatives:
Turnovers - killing us at the moment and will continue to kill us until we improve.
Foley - injuries are hurting us at the moment. Hoping he can come good in the 2nd half to round out the trio of Martin & Cotch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives Vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back