Possible trades & rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading what Cook has has said , it seems if Gazza doesn't go then another big name will. SC pressure and we DO NOT want to end up like Brisbane
i read the article and i cant come up with someone we would cut..

one of the younger bridgade isnt going to free up the cap..

Dasher is getting on but has proven he can go on (gun)
Moons just signed apparently

1. why did we pick up Drum?
2. do we offload Byrnes?
3. have we played Lonergan all year for trade value? (i dont think so)

I honestly don't know who we could cut unless a few of the older blokes retire..

In a way I think the club/Cook is sort of saying that to almost release Ablett. It may just be so far simpler if he chooses to go. If he stays then we will have to trade someone , it would have to be someone tradeable/replaceable perhaps required by another club - to me this say best 22 not fringe player like Gamble. So if Gazza stays someone in that side last night will have to go.

The obvious one would be Ottens. Not that he is tradeworthy but that he is probably on top dollars and his games per dollars would be higher than anyone.

Mark Blake would be a handy player for GC17. GC17 do not have a big bodied ruckman and he could be ideally suited to GC17. With Malcolm Blight as football director, he may get a kick up the backside to improve his foot and hand disposal.

After listening to the Triple M interview with Brian Cook, it seems the list management committee may have to avoid the Brisbane Lions path after they failed to win the 2004 flag. In all great sides, you have to trade a couple of premiership stars to rebuild your list by getting early draft picks. Most clubs do not want to trade unless they are in the premiership window.

THe Lions made a mistake in hindsight by not trading a couple of stars after 2004 to rebuild its list.

With the Cattery having a football academy to develop the 1st to 3rd year players, I think the Cats could trade a couple of premiership players for early draft picks or a player who can strengthen the playing group.

THE GOVERNOR

no doubt dasher can and prob will go on...but who do we cut?

Trade Value:
Gamble, Djerkurra, Blake, Mackie

These are the ones that I feel that we could use as "bait" to try and strenghen our position in the draft. Gamble and Djerkurra could be used to pick up some tail end picks to possibly use on some "mature" players that wouldnt get any interest from others.

Mackie I've never been a big fan of; hopefully Drum gets up and about for 2011 and plays a role across half back.

Delisted:
Ediriwickrama, Allwright, Hogan, Laidler or Gillies

I'd pick Laidler to be delisted, as we have multiple players that can play across half back, good example is Taylor Hunt; he has good size already, and can run well (endurance/ speed).

Ediriwickrama and Allwright probably would be my picks of the rookies to get the chop, maybe Ranga can get drafted again (very unlucky with injuries).

Hogan just seems to be the Moloney or Prismall of 2010; might want to try his luck elsewhere. Could be trade bait as well.

Retirement (??):
Rooke, Mooney, Ottens

If I had to pick a player/ players to call it quits, I'd pick from these 3.

Depending on the ACTUAL status of Rooke's knee, he just might not be able to get himself up for a full pre season. I wouldnt want it to happen, but it could just eventuate.

Depending on how the next 2 weeks go, Mooney/ Ottens might feel that they would want to run off into the sunset with 3 flags (fingers crossed!!).

Mitch Brown is primed (with extra meat hopefully gainedin the offseson) to play a role in the forward 50 for 2011 with Pods and Hawkins.

So, theres my opinion on who could not be running around for 2011.

Laidler and Gillies won't be traded. Never trade a key defender under the age of 21 who has shown ability. They both have. There is loads of examples of trading key defenders has proved costly, look at Harley or even Craig Bolton. They just take time to mature.

Somehow we need to add just a bit more pace next year - so I like THunt getting more regular games - if his form stays good.

Also like the idea of getting another outside player who kicks well - maybe Menzel or Mitch Duncan getting more game time. A few additions like these with a few injuries we are bound to get - will help I think keep us very competitive.

Rooke may also make a 'come back' - and he is sorely missed at present. His hardness - when he is up and fully match fit is hard for Geelong to replace.

If we had Varcoe, THUnt, Ablett, Wojo and maybe Byrnes all available - that is a fair bit of pace that always has a chance to break the lines.

The 2012 season I think will see bigger changes.

i cant believe people are turning on Mackie, has been great for us for a few years, okay has been dissapointing in the latter part of this season but lets not cull him yet.

As much as i hate to say this i reckon Hawkins would be good trade bait...although id like to keep him one more year and put him in the prime role at full forward and let Mooney be the secondary forward just to see how he goes with that extra respomsibility. I reckon Hawkins may come good next year.

I think Milburn and ROoke will retire.

Otto and Chappy are close to the end...Chappy has had too many injuries and i dont think his body will be able to cope for more than 2 more years. I hope im wrong.

Is anyone here starting to not feel as bad if Gazza goes, id love him to stay but imagine what we could do with the money he will save and the draft picks we can get...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cant believe people are turning on Mackie, has been great for us for a few years, okay has been dissapointing in the latter part of this season but lets not cull him yet.

As much as i hate to say this i reckon Hawkins would be good trade bait...although id like to keep him one more year and put him in the prime role at full forward and let Mooney be the secondary forward just to see how he goes with that extra respomsibility. I reckon Hawkins may come good next year.

I think Milburn and ROoke will retire.

Otto and Chappy are close to the end...Chappy has had too many injuries and i dont think his body will be able to cope for more than 2 more years. I hope im wrong.

Is anyone here starting to not feel as bad if Gazza goes, id love him to stay but imagine what we could do with the money he will save and the draft picks we can get...

JPOD says hello.

I must admit I am baffled by Moons re-signing, not that he's good enough to go on, but I had assumed he would retire, whereas with him CHF and Pods FF in 2011, I will be very interested to see what position Hawkins ends up playing.

No one's turning on Mackie (except the MC this week, though he definitely has deserved it) we're just saying if you could get a super deal for him (overs) why not?

Otto doesn't in tend retiring. And Dasher wants to go around again too according to Cookie tonight. He said the list management team will have some big decisions to make at seasons end - ie whether there's another tilt at the big dance left in this group or to go for youth and a rebuild.

The issue with that is the longer you keep pushing, the more young players leave, and also the more you end up with everyone retiring at once, and you end up crashing down like Brisbane. As VC posted yesterday, almost all of this year's 22 will be gone within 3-4 years max, therefore some (maybe 3-4) need to not be here next year...that's the call that needs to be made, and I don't think it's either or, when you look at the quality of kids like Taylor Hunt, I could see us changing 3 or 4 spots next year (maybe Ottens and Scarlett are the exceptions) and still being capable enough of challenging for a flag...I hope the club is courageous enough to do this.

Trade Value:
Gamble, Djerkurra, Blake, Mackie

These are the ones that I feel that we could use as "bait" to try and strenghen our position in the draft. Gamble and Djerkurra could be used to pick up some tail end picks to possibly use on some "mature" players that wouldnt get any interest from others.

Mackie I've never been a big fan of; hopefully Drum gets up and about for 2011 and plays a role across half back.

Accurate, albeit that Gamble and Djerrkura have little value, doubt Mackie will be traded unless he requests it, Blake could go though.

Delisted:
Ediriwickrama, Allwright, Hogan, Laidler or Gillies

I'd pick Laidler to be delisted, as we have multiple players that can play across half back, good example is Taylor Hunt; he has good size already, and can run well (endurance/ speed).

Ediriwickrama and Allwright probably would be my picks of the rookies to get the chop, maybe Ranga can get drafted again (very unlucky with injuries).

Hogan just seems to be the Moloney or Prismall of 2010; might want to try his luck elsewhere. Could be trade bait as well.

Are you fripping serious? We're already short long term defensive replacements and you want to delist our best performed one in the VFL this year?

Ranga and Allwright might go because of injuries but they'd be unlucky.

Hogan, no way.

Gillies, for the same reasons as Laidler.

One thing I have not understood, given our key defensive replacement issue, is why the VFL coaches haven't put Ben Johnson there this year. Yes he's kicking bags, but I remember one game I saw live last year where he did a reasonable job on Sautner, and I had that thought. IF Mitch Brown's body hold up, with him and Pods and Hawkins, B Johnson is unlikely to get a game as a forward anyway. Would be worth a go I think.

One thing I have not understood, given our key defensive replacement issue, is why the VFL coaches haven't put Ben Johnson there this year.

Good point. Maybe the lack of forward options has meant he has had to play forward. I was impressed with him the day I watched the two's V GC so he's a player who could be an Egan type

I was thinking maybe Wojo may go - but he deserves another year on his form this year.

IMO - the weakest links in the side year - although they have been bad by any stretch of the imagination - has been Hawkins, Blake, Mackie, Byrnes and Hogan.

So much depends on whether Ablett stays or goes. Once that is known then we will know where we stand and can work out our list.

Of these players we could lose them and I do not think it would make a huge difference to the list we have - if a few of the younger guys like Menzel and Mitch Duncan come on.

The one that I wonder about is Hawkins. It is so hard to get big guys that can play - so I tend to think Geelong will just keep playing him in the hope he matures and comes on. I just think he is a bit lost at present and has not developed the ability/attitude to smash into packs and bust them open - which a power forward needs to do.

Have the view that he would better down back where he will be led to the ball a bit more (so he will be less lost) and only required to destroy the contest rather than mark and kick a goal. Not sure he has the tank to play down there yet - but ultimately he is at best a make shift ruckman.

Cannot see why he could not play the Lonergan role as well, if not better, than Lonergan.

I suspect if Ablett goes we will keep all these players - if he stays then we could see some go - with some lesser lights in the seconds like Gamble and Djekurra.

what about an extra carlton ruckmen? cant see us holding on to all of kreuzer, warnock, jacobs & hampson? I think Mark Blake is the weak link at your team & i dare say the blues would entertain trading a jacobs or hammer with u, might ease your cap problems? could see something like this working both ways? id love a harry taylor or josh hunt, maybe a mackie or lonergan, u seem to have a surplus of backs. plus thrown in whatever picks needed to get a job done either way

I don't think so. Lonergan just signed a 3 year deal and I think Geelong will back Dawson to come on.

The problem is Geelong is not missing really any position for the 2011 season - even though we have an aging list.

Mooney just signed a 1 year deal and the obvious oldie Milburn has had another good year. Wojo has turned it around and deserves another year.

So who goes ? Maybe Blake ? But you would think if we could keep this team together - we would. And just hope, with Ottens looking a bit slower each year - that Dawson comes on.

It is hard to get better though with the team as is - and this year has shown we are slowly being caught up by other teams. It is a dilemma for the Cats hierarchy.

I think it comes down to whether Ablett goes or stays really. We will rebuild more if Ablett goes and less so if he stays.

I just want to add I believe it may cost a lot too keep Ablett but that is my preferred choice with Menzel and Duncan coming thru. One of them I reckon will make it.

As good as Dasher has been this year I believe it will do us more harm than good for him to go around again for us next year. I understand that his salary is on the veteran list and he still offers alot to the side but if he did retire it allows someone else to go onto the veterans list and allows a T Hunt or Laidler or Drum playing time to develop while the core of our team is around to show them the tricks of the trade.

I think this is what Cooky was referring to when he said that big call had to be made by the list management team. Telling beloved members of our team who think that they can go again that it is best for the team if you pulled up stumps

Yep, as hard as it may be for the Cats hierarchy to tap an aging veteran and multiple premiership player on the shoulder, it just may have to be done for the greater good of the club.

I don't think so. Lonergan just signed a 3 year deal and I think Geelong will back Dawson to come on.

The problem is Geelong is not missing really any position for the 2011 season - even though we have an aging list.

Mooney just signed a 1 year deal and the obvious oldie Milburn has had another good year. Wojo has turned it around and deserves another year.

So who goes ? Maybe Blake ? But you would think if we could keep this team together - we would. And just hope, with Ottens looking a bit slower each year - that Dawson comes on.

It is hard to get better though with the team as is - and this year has shown we are slowly being caught up by other teams. It is a dilemma for the Cats hierarchy.

I think it comes down to whether Ablett goes or stays really. We will rebuild more if Ablett goes and less so if he stays.

I just want to add I believe it may cost a lot too keep Ablett but that is my preferred choice with Menzel and Duncan coming thru. One of them I reckon will make it.

But that's the problem isn't it....the reality is the list is ageing, and if we don't start 'pensioning off' now, we will have an almighty crash in 3-4 years, and in the meantime the duncan's etc may leave, so we have a double whammy effect. That's what I don't get, Bomber says he wants us to stay up and in effect 'beat the cycle', well to do that, you have to make hard decisions like retiring older players, getting the best young players in, as that both eases your cap pressure, and prevents turning half the side over at once. Really if we're fair dinkum we need to look (at the end of the year) at whichever 2 or 3 players we can most easily replace, and retire them out, and if we still have salary cap problems, trade someone who's reasonably expandable. It's cold I know, but it's the way it needs to be done, because to stay up, you have to stagger your retirements each year in an orderly way (which Brisbane didn't) and I'm sure Bomber knows it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible trades & rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back