Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Compared to last year when we needed a 6 goal lead at 3/4 time cause we were always getting ran over
yep think thats what the team has focused on and maybe thats why we start slow, its about building a game, accepting its momentum during a game and we will get more of it as it goes.

yep think thats what the team has focused on and maybe thats why we start slow, its about building a game, accepting its momentum during a game and we will get more of it as it goes.
Great call out I was thinking the same thing - we are just fitter and harder for longer and they can't run with us.

Magpies and Swans definitely establishing themselves as the strong finishers of the comp. Intriguing.

Magpies have been at it longer of course, but yesterday was a whole other order of magnitude.

Have we been stealing a leaf out of their book? Has Horse decided that’s the way to win flags, and focussed on insane levels of stamina coupled with inculcating a fanatically never-say-die team ethos?

Is this the way the game is going? Some statsnerd is welcome to correct me, but from memory Carlton are also pretty strong in the second half of games.

Magpies and Swans definitely establishing themselves as the strong finishers of the comp. Intriguing.

Magpies have been at it longer of course, but yesterday was a whole other order of magnitude.

Have we been stealing a leaf out of their book? Has Horse decided that’s the way to win flags, and focussed on insane levels of stamina coupled with inculcating a fanatically never-say-die team ethos?

Is this the way the game is going? Some statsnerd is welcome to correct me, but from memory Carlton are also pretty strong in the second half of games.

in the direct comparison with collingwood we're younger and i'd argue hungrier
i cannot believe c'wood can continue with this remarkable record in close games ... experience is getting them over the line as much as anything else but i'd be confident we'd be too fast, too fit and too hungry if it comes to a showdown in finals
c'wood were also made to look quite slow for most of that game against north ...
carlton would definitely be up with us on the hunger factor but i think we're a better team, and that probably starts in the ruck, grundy is better than pittonet and has better players around him ... cripps and walsh are the blues' obvious midfield stars, hewett and kennedy are good, honest players, and they have two key forwards and weitering at the back ...
but generally, all over the field, i think we're clearly a better side

and also, as several posters (including me) have pointed out in various threads in recent weeks ... let them worry about stopping us

Reading the afl.com article on Amartey's nine goal haul and it mentioned the Swans picked Patrick Styles in the first round and then Amartey in the second round of the same rookie draft.

To say the name Patrick Styles has been completely erased from my memory until this very moment would be an understatement.

EDIT: Just looked up the playing list in 2018. They had the name wrong. It was Angus Styles, not Patrick, which rings a tiny bell.

Last edited:

Carlton will beat the Pies

Reading the afl.com article on Amartey's nine goal haul and it mentioned the Swans picked Patrick Styles in the first round and then Amartey in the second round of the same rookie draft.

To say the name Patrick Styles has been completely erased from my memory until this very moment would be an understatement.

EDIT: Just looked up the playing list in 2018. They had the name wrong. It was Angus Styles, not Patrick, which rings a tiny bell.

What about Harry Styles?

Did you gloss over the bit where they conceeded 8 goals in a quarter against the worst side by a mile.

They were on the receiving end of a few dubious decisions and they have.

They are not the second best side in it. I think Brisbane is the smoky to make a GF

i still think our biggest threat might be the team we play saturday
Agree.

I wasn’t actually musing on who is our greatest threat, merely about footballing trends in general.

Collingwood and now Sydney might be onto some new science about stamina and are putting it into practice.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Caleb Daniel looks like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE QUIZ ……. has dropped !!!!

#1 - Peter Bedford, the 1970 Brownlow medalist was also a talented cricketer. What was Bedford’s top score and
only century in the Sheffield Shield, who was it against and where and in what season did this happen ? (4 points)

1718677578202.png

#2 - Still on Bedford - What were Bedford’s best first class bowling figures, against which team and where and
what type of bowler was he ? (4 points)

#3 - Still on bloody Bedford - how many goals did he kick for Port Melbourne in the 1967 VFA Grand Final against Dandenong, who won the game and what did Alan Osborne do to him in the first quarter ? (3 points)

1718677667351.png

#4 - The 1945 VFL Grand Final between South Melbourne and Carlton was was noted and remembered for its rough play and a number of violent incidents. Who won ? How many players were reported ? and what nickname did this game take
on over the years due to it being one of the roughest in league history ? (3 points)

1718678247783.png

#5 - Did Warwick Capper sleep with Leanne Edelsten and did Geoffrey care ? Capper’s 1985 hit single "I Only Take What's Mine” - was that about Leanne ? What was the most goals the Wiz kicked in a season, when was that and in what year was he awarded the Mark of the Year ? (6 points)

1718677804870.png 1718677828402.png

#6 - Ask Kevin Sheedy and he’ll tell you that Graham Teasdale was the worst Brownlow Medalist of all time and that wasn’t for his choice of a shit brown velvet suit. Who did Sheedy believe shoulda, coulda, woulda won Charlie in 1977 and how many votes did “Teaser” poll to win ? (2 points)

1718678299159.png

#7 - In 1976 after school on a Friday afternoon a few of my colleagues and I from Melbourne High School went to the MCG to watch the last session of a Shield game between Victoria (who were fielding) and South Australia. We were kicked out of the ground for sledging Ian Redpath who was at 1st slip and kept turning around at us upon hearing our comments.
Many players were pissing themselves laughing. What were we calling out ? Hint - something to do with his neck and it rhymes with his name. (3 points)

1718677922644.png

#8 - Brian Roberts was a part of the John Pitura trade with the Tigers. Which other players were involved ?
What was Robert’s nickname and what was the name of the pub he ran in South Melbs ? (4 points)

1718678090410.png

#9 - With the benefit of hindsight was it a good idea for St Kilda to recruit Dan Hannebery from the Swans ? (2 points)

1718678001806.png

#10 - Joel Amartey had a day out against the Crows last game, kicking 9.1 from 10 kicks. Where did the Swans recruit him from and when was that ? (2 points)

1718678388081.png

Bonus Question - should a tie breaker be required: Who wins on Saturday - GWS vs Swans ? and pick the margin.

Please note rules of engagement:

Last edited:
They changed the layout of the official afl.com.au site recently and for the life of me I can't the section that had every teams injuries anymore. Anyone know where it is now?

THE QUIZ ……. has dropped !!!!

#1 - Peter Bedford, the 1970 Brownlow medalist was also a talented cricketer. What was Bedford’s top score and
only century in the Sheffield Shield, who was it against and where and in what season did this happen ?

View attachment 2023176

#2 - Still on Bedford - What were Bedford’s best first class bowling figures, against which team and where and
what type of bowler was he ?

#3 - Still on bloody Bedford - how many goals did he kick for Port Melbourne in the 1967 VFA Grand Final against Dandenong, who won the game and what did Alan Osborne do to him in the first quarter ?

View attachment 2023177

#4 - The 1945 VFL Grand Final between South Melbourne and Carlton was was noted and remembered for its rough play and a number of violent incidents. Who won ? How many players were reported ? and what nickname did this game take
on over the years due to it being one of the roughest in league history ?

View attachment 2023185

#5 - Did Warwick Capper sleep with Leanne Edelsten and did Geoffrey care ? Capper’s 1985 hit single "I Only Take What's Mine” - was that about Leanne ? What was the most goals the Wiz kicked in a season, when was that and in what year was he awarded the Mark of the Year ?

View attachment 2023179View attachment 2023180

#6 - Ask Kevin Sheedy and he’ll tell you that Graham Teasdale was the worst Brownlow Medalist of all time and that wasn’t for his choice of a shit brown velvet suit. Who did Sheedy believe shoulda, coulda, woulda won Charlie in 1977 and how many votes did “Teaser” poll to win ?

View attachment 2023186

#7 - In 1976 after school on a Friday afternoon a few of my colleagues and I from Melbourne High School and went to the MCG to watch the last session of a Shield game between Victoria (who were fielding) and South Australia. We were kicked out of the ground for sledging Ian Redpath who was at 1st slip and kept turning around at us upon hearing our comments.
Many players were pissing themselves laughing. What were we calling out ? Hint - something to do with his neck and it rhymes with his name.

View attachment 2023181

#8 - Brian Roberts was a part of the John Pitura trade with the Tigers. Which other players were involved ?
What was Robert’s nickname and what was the name of the pub he ran in South Melbs ?

View attachment 2023183

#9 - With the benefit of hindsight was it a good idea for St Kilda to recruit Dan Hannebery from the Swans ?

View attachment 2023182

#10 - Joel Amartey had a day out against the Crows last game, kicking 9.1 from 10 kicks. Where did the Swans recruit him from and when was that ?

View attachment 2023187

Bonus Question - should a tie breaker be required: Who wins on Saturday - GWS vs Swans and pick the margin.

Please note rules of engagement:
No idea about most of them but great work. Hats off to ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back