Potential Pick 6 and Pick 10 draftee Highlight Videos and Player Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Think about this, picks 10, 6 and shaw for Adams and pick 1? Hine said he hasn't discounted anything.

Agree, he did say on SEN last night that "you never say never" and my interpretation was that he was quite coy over it. I doubt that we'd bother going for pick 1 at this stage, given we still have to make three live selections in the draft. That, coupled with Jesse White coming in, plus Darcy Moore will be a father/son next year, we're pretty flush for "talls".

Can someone tell me what I am missing with Lennon? He looks an okay forward but do we need another medium lead up forward? Very much a meh selection when you consider our list needs. Or do people see him pulling a bit of a Rockliff and gunning it in the middle in a couple of years?

Lennon has played on ball and off HB as well he is not stuck as a medium fwd only.

Better kick then Rockliff and by some margin.

Agree, he did say on SEN last night that "you never say never" and my interpretation was that he was quite coy over it. I doubt that we'd bother going for pick 1 at this stage, given we still have to make three live selections in the draft. That, coupled with Jesse White coming in, plus Darcy Moore will be a father/son next year, we're pretty flush for "talls".

Not before having a chuckle at the question almost as if to say "yeah right".

We aren't flush for key backs tho. If you get Boyd, it allows you to keep Reid back. Even then, we are still lacking another good key back.

We aren't flush for key backs tho. If you get Boyd, it allows you to keep Reid back. Even then, we are still lacking another good key back.

I think you're underselling both Keefe and Brown who are very solid imo. Reid, Brown, Keefe & Frost is loads of depth. Even if Reid played forward, which seems unlikely at this stage, there's plenty down there not to be worried. A much greater concern is the skill level of the medium and smaller defenders.

We should be just loading up on midfielders atm and worry about a tall forward in a draft where there are a few more of them about and therefore less value attached.

SCPaige I'm interested to know where you would rank Garlett purely on footballing ability?
It's been mentioned heavily how the draft talent drops away this year, with Hine stating as early as the back end of the top 10, let's say hypothetically that he's actually taken some significant steps forward this year towards becoming an AFL player, and with the perceived lack of talent does that make him a chance to be not only drafted but taken earlier than most would think?

I think your underselling both Keefe and Brown who are very solid imo. Reid, Brown, Keefe & Frost is loads of depth. Even if Reid played forward, which seems unlikely at this stage, there's plenty down there not to be worried. A much greater concern is the skill level of the medium and smaller defenders.

We should be just loading up on midfielders atm and worry about a tall forward in a draft where there are a few more of them about and therefore less value attached.
You don't need depth as much as you need quality. Keefe is not agile enough, Brown is ok on a static wrestling type, but hasn't the pace to keep up with a fast lead. He only played well on Riewoldt because of the way the ball was brought into the forward line. The others are just not quality key backs. We need someone to compliment Reid as much as Lake and Gibson did for each other this year. We don't have that dynamic in the backline.

But if you can keep Reid down back rather than swinging him forward, you are at least strengthening the backline. To keep Reid back, you need to gave a 3 or 4 goal key forward to justify that.

SCPaige I'm interested to know where you would rank Garlett purely on footballing ability?
It's been mentioned heavily how the draft talent drops away this year, with Hine stating as early as the back end of the top 10, let's say hypothetically that he's actually taken some significant steps forward this year towards becoming an AFL player, and with the perceived lack of talent does that make him a chance to be not only drafted but taken earlier than most would think?

If you take a look back to 2012, he was easily ranked as a top 5-10 on talent alone, but his off-field issues meant in the end he went completly undrafted, admittedly - it's his own fault.

But looking to 2013, Garlett has been heavily linked to be an early second round pick. Speaking with his manager just Sunday evening, Hawthorn will take a punt on him if he is still there at pick 38, but it looks likely they'll trade their Buddy compo for their St Kilda's pick 25, which means they'lll take him there.

Gold Coast have done a lot of work on him this year, but honestly - given how quickly the draft pool shallows on in regards to elite talent, he could be a serious surprise for a first round pick, if not in the early 20's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, St Kilda are also very interested in taking him at pick 24, but to be brutely honest, and perhaps state the obvious, St Kilda wouldn't be a good fit for Dayle. He needs to land at club that has a fantastic structure around him, with good welfare and support systems, and senior Indgienous players to really take him under their wing an mentor. Essendon are really keen, and could take him if avaliable with pick 26, which is hard to believe given how Garlett pissed all over his opportunity with them last year.

It's basically down to Hawthorn, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Essendon and there is some consideration that Richmond have floated some interest, but they're out of the second round as we speak.

aside from the obvious (Boyd & Kelly)

Loved the look of Kade Kolodjashnij from the highlights package via afl.com. but doubt he'll slip to no.6.

With our lack of skillful defenders he is exacltly what we need.

If he is unavailable Bontempelli looked the next most impressive.

Looked like a genuine swingman with huge potential.

Aish didnt impress me at all. Looked like a bad version of Tom Scully - slight frame, average skills, and his 16 disposal ave over 13 games is hardly appealing for an onballer.

Fingers crossed one of KK or Bontempeilli slip to 6

aside from the obvious (Boyd & Kelly)

Loved the look of Kade Kolodjashnij from the highlights package via afl.com. but doubt he'll slip to no.6.

With our lack of skillful defenders he is exacltly what we need.

If he is unavailable Bontempelli looked the next most impressive.

Looked like a genuine swingman with huge potential.

Aish didnt impress me at all. Looked like a bad version of Tom Scully - slight frame, average skills, and his 16 disposal ave over 13 games is hardly appealing for an onballer.

Fingers crossed one of KK or Bontempeilli slip to 6

He was tagged in those games and was still ranked #1 for overall disposal efficiency. He is the best player in the draft for spotting targets inside 50, Cloke would be in heaven if we drafted him.

Aish feeding lace out passes to Cloke, Elliott and Fasolo would be nothing short of magical.

He was tagged in those games and was still ranked #1 for overall disposal efficiency. He is the best player in the draft for spotting targets inside 50, Cloke would be in heaven if we drafted him.

Aish feeding lace out passes to Cloke, Elliott and Fasolo would be nothing short of magical.

Fair enough I'm only going on what I saw on the short highlights package.

Would still prefer if we targeted a skillful back flanker like KK or a lock down small defender of the ilk of Nick Smith (Marley is handy on most but struggles on the top small forwards e.g. walters, garlett, L.thomas etc)

Would still prefer if we targeted a skillful back flanker like KK or a lock down small defender of the ilk of Nick Smith (Marley is handy on most but struggles on the top small forwards e.g. walters, garlett, L.thomas etc)

It would make more sense to get a HBF at 10 (Acres, Lennon etc) and we have Ramsay as an upcoming lock down small defender.

You don't need depth as much as you need quality. Keefe is not agile enough, Brown is ok on a static wrestling type, but hasn't the pace to keep up with a fast lead. He only played well on Riewoldt because of the way the ball was brought into the forward line. The others are just not quality key backs. We need someone to compliment Reid as much as Lake and Gibson did for each other this year. We don't have that dynamic in the backline.

But if you can keep Reid down back rather than swinging him forward, you are at least strengthening the backline. To keep Reid back, you need to gave a 3 or 4 goal key forward to justify that.

If quality were the central concern then our forward line would have to take priority over defence

I disagree with you concerning Keefe, for someone 200cm+ his agility and pace is very good and he's definitely no worse than Brown or Reid imo. I rated him ahead of both Brown and Reid as our no. 1 negating defender last season and that was coming off a knee. Reid is no better than any of the others in a defensive capacity, what distinguishes him from most defenders in the AFL is the combination of his ability to intercept mark and high quality long kicking. With a lack of quality medium rebounders it's what we miss the most as a team when Reid plays forward.

Frost was unfortunate with injury last season, I think he could do a pretty solid job purely as a negative defender if called on, he's pretty ordinary going the other way though. There are at least a few AFL teams he'd be playing regular senior footy for.

If you were really intent on getting someone to complement the other tall defenders then we're better of focusing on drafting someone like Scharenberg who can play on a tallish forward (someone like Cramerie or Gunston for instance),is also good enough to zone off and play third man up like Gibson does & is good quality as a rebounder. Basically an upgraded version of Maxwell. I mean that's pretty how Hawthorn have always tried to use Gibson and it was only until injuries and matchup forced him to play more central that they stopped - although pretty similar just more accountable.

Williams will be in the top 2-3 small stopping defenders in the comp next season. If he can fix his kicking then there wouldn't be that many better than him in that role imo. If you look at the attributes that make a really top line small defender, Williams has pretty much all of them. The only real question in my mind is whether he become to valuable to be played in defence.

Wouldn't we just use pick 1, then 77 and 101 (whatever we have in the 75th round) on upgrading Dwyer and...say Martin...

Scharenburg at 6 and McCarthy at 10 please.

That would almost be my nightmare result, Quicky. Swap out Sharenberg for KK, and that would be it. I think we really need to set up our midfield spots with this period. We can look to KFF and HB options next year. We need to take this opportunity to get good young runners and ball users into our system stat (after having lost Thomas, Wellers and Shaw over last couple, and with Ball and Swan entering twighlight).

Adams, Aish, and Bontemp / Acres please.

Took this from another site, some of Marcus Bontempelli's stats.

Average of last 6 games since U18 Carnival.

13.5 Kicks
10.5 Handballs
24.0 Disposals (11.6 Contested) - Highlights: 30 Disposals vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13); 29 Disposals vs. Gippsland (Rd. 15).

5.5 Marks
1.8 Goals (0.8 Behinds) - Highlight: 5 Goals vs. North Ballarat (Rd. 16).

3.5 Tackles - Highlight: 7 Tackles vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13).
4.7 Clearances - Highlight: 7 Clearances vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13); 7 Clearances vs. Gippsland (Elim Final); 6 Clearances vs. Murray (Rd. 17).

5.8 Inside 50 - Highlight: 10 vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13).
0.5 Rebound 50 - Highlight: 2 vs. Geelong (Rd. 14).

As you can see he does fairly well in every area for a tall midfielder, he tackles, gets clearances, wins the contested ball, takes marks and kicks goals. If he can put all those highlights together, he will be a scary player no doubt.

Took this from another site, some of Marcus Bontempelli's stats.

Average of last 6 games since U18 Carnival.

13.5 Kicks
10.5 Handballs
24.0 Disposals (11.6 Contested) - Highlights: 30 Disposals vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13); 29 Disposals vs. Gippsland (Rd. 15).

5.5 Marks
1.8 Goals (0.8 Behinds) - Highlight: 5 Goals vs. North Ballarat (Rd. 16).

3.5 Tackles - Highlight: 7 Tackles vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13).
4.7 Clearances - Highlight: 7 Clearances vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13); 7 Clearances vs. Gippsland (Elim Final); 6 Clearances vs. Murray (Rd. 17).

5.8 Inside 50 - Highlight: 10 vs. Oakleigh (Rd. 13).
0.5 Rebound 50 - Highlight: 2 vs. Geelong (Rd. 14).

As you can see he does fairly well in every area for a tall midfielder, he tackles, gets clearances, wins the contested ball, takes marks and kicks goals. If he can put all those highlights together, he will be a scary player no doubt.

For me, if his DE is up over 85% then I'm happy if his numbers are around the 20 mark......We need another damaging player not another accumulator so much!

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential Pick 6 and Pick 10 draftee Highlight Videos and Player Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back