Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm dreaming of a white Collins-mas.
Does anyone here think Collins would make a good running half-back? I've always thought of AC as a 'Hoops' type HF/Winger but seeing as though White looks to be going forward, someone with some kinda of footskills and run would be needed at HB. I guess he needs to bulk up a bit, but apart from butchering the odd goal, AC's disposal around the ground seems pretty good... *stands back and waits for the onslaught*

Carlton Summer Snapshot
Burning: Simon White. After just 17 games in three injury-plagued seasons – including the last five of 2012 – the 24-year-old former rookie is finally gaining continuity on the training track and is gathering serious momentum. "He's flying," Brown said. "For mine, he's the one who's really stood out. He looks really strong, he's quick, his skills are good, and he's doing nearly every session. He's a good size, a real competitor, and Mick could play him at either end. If he stays injury-free, he'll be a terrific acquisition to the side."
Carlton Summer Snapshot

No mention of Lucas being in the rehab group with Murphy, Kreuzer and McInnes.

17b3e8be5f7711e2928c22000a9f3092_7.jpg

Should Buckley be worried about Joseph?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they should all be worried about Ed's hair. What is that?
obviously focuses more on rig

d8b036a25df711e2ab4c22000a1faffd_7.jpg

Ed draws on Buster to break Bear's record

Ed Curnow has responded favourably to the imposing presence of the three-time Olympian Craig Mottram, setting a club record for the 3.2-kilometre Princes Park time trial on the resumption of Carlton's pre-season training for 2013.
The previous record has been held for a number of years, by 1987 Carlton premiership player and current Board member Adrian "Bear" Gleeson.

I was there.
Not much to report really of any interest. Firstly 90% of the players wear different numbers and caps so it takes a while to work out who was who (i.e Judd wore 49) and there were 3 number 11's running around although Warnock stood out in that group obviously.
All the drills went very smoothly. Of interest to me was watching Sam Rowe big Levi and the human bobble head Matthew Watson doing lead up forward drills and all 3 competing well and taking marks.
Eddie and Yaz spent time with the midfield group. The only player who appeared to be not partaking 100% was Waitey. But he was out there doing a lot of kicking to the lead up fwds and stuff like that he just wasn't doing any running drills by the look of it.
Of interest saw Wayne "Clearasil" Campbell from the Tuggers there with a couple of his cohorts taking notes of what was going on.
We looked good. But lets face it. It's mid January and all 18 teams will be looking good at training at the moment without match pressure, I just want to get through the pre season injury free.

Went to training day this morning to have a bo peep at the players. I will post some photos this evening when I have the chance to figure out how you post these things on BF..

Some observations :

Warnock was looking fit and very mobile and taking some great marks in early session. Watson looks like the most unathletic of our players he juts doesn't have the run his legs that others have but he clunks marks as well as any and is a beautiful kick. Buckley looks like a future star small forward - just beautiful hands and lightning quick. Bell is a monster, runs fast, vociferous and enthusiastic - spent a bit of time with Juddy one on one in set one two plays. Hampson and Henderson were out there - but were not involved in the higher intensity end to end drills. Kreuz looks like he has lost a to of weight from his legs and he too seemed to be on a lighter training load along with Waite.

Yarran was electric and a general in end to end drills he seemed to be involved as much in midfield drills as set defensive plays.

Kick out drills were very impressive - as in very impressive - look for fast goal to forward 50 arc plays this year.

Laidler looked very fit and firing as did Duigan. Armfield is quick and seems to have improved his filed kicking accuracy. Jeff G was electric and very smooth with his ball work. Eddie is a demanding trainer and looking sharp as a tack. Rowe was marking well. Casboult was very impresive in markling and running - but his kicking ( needs work :oops:) clearly not a natural - but will be an awesome target. Walker is just the athlete's athlete, smooth, efficient, doing lots of marking and kicking drills today. Menzel or 'Menz' as the players were calling him was in what I guess the lighter work load unit- which included Hampson, Henderson, Kreuzer, Scotland, Carrazzo, Lucas, Mitchell and Waite - Menz is already a popular team member and looks a good size for a HFF role already.

I was there for about an hour and a half of the two hour session. Drills seemed to last for 10- 15 minute sessions and then a talk followed by another session. Team was split into backs/forwards and mids with non participators in at pace drills doing light load skills work. Can't say too much about midfield as they were mostly (in the midfield doing various drills - seemed to be a good amount of work on set plays from bounces and ball ups - transitioning to forward area).

I have to say - full speed drill for end to end work was very impressive - as was goals to forward fifty drill work - players involved were razor sharp in execution and fast - as in fast.

All in all a lot of fun and always great to visit the Park ground and (of course) look at teh 16 cups on display.:thumbsu:

Some photos to follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back