Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to training day this morning to have a bo peep at the players. I will post some photos this evening when I have the chance to figure out how you post these things on BF..

Some observations :

Warnock was looking fit and very mobile and taking some great marks in early session. Watson looks like the most unathletic of our players he juts doesn't have the run his legs that others have but he clunks marks as well as any and is a beautiful kick. Buckley looks like a future star small forward - just beautiful hands and lightning quick. Bell is a monster, runs fast, vociferous and enthusiastic - spent a bit of time with Juddy one on one in set one two plays. Hampson and Henderson were out there - but were not involved in the higher intensity end to end drills. Kreuz looks like he has lost a to of weight from his legs and he too seemed to be on a lighter training load along with Waite.

Yarran was electric and a general in end to end drills he seemed to be involved as much in midfield drills as set defensive plays.

Kick out drills were very impressive - as in very impressive - look for fast goal to forward 50 arc plays this year.

Laidler looked very fit and firing as did Duigan. Armfield is quick and seems to have improved his filed kicking accuracy. Jeff G was electric and very smooth with his ball work. Eddie is a demanding trainer and looking sharp as a tack. Rowe was marking well. Casboult was very impresive in markling and running - but his kicking ( needs work :oops:) clearly not a natural - but will be an awesome target. Walker is just the athlete's athlete, smooth, efficient, doing lots of marking and kicking drills today. Menzel or 'Menz' as the players were calling him was in what I guess the lighter work load unit- which included Hampson, Henderson, Kreuzer, Scotland, Carrazzo, Lucas, Mitchell and Waite - Menz is already a popular team member and looks a good size for a HFF role already.

I was there for about an hour and a half of the two hour session. Drills seemed to last for 10- 15 minute sessions and then a talk followed by another session. Team was split into backs/forwards and mids with non participators in at pace drills doing light load skills work. Can't say too much about midfield as they were mostly (in the midfield doing various drills - seemed to be a good amount of work on set plays from bounces and ball ups - transitioning to forward area).

I have to say - full speed drill for end to end work was very impressive - as was goals to forward fifty drill work - players involved were razor sharp in execution and fast - as in fast.

All in all a lot of fun and always great to visit the Park ground and (of course) look at teh 16 cups on display.:thumbsu:

Some photos to follow.

Surely you jest :p. It is good to see the young man has made it out of Ed's hair alive ..................

Also great write up. Always great to hear what is going on at training.

obviously focuses more on rig

d8b036a25df711e2ab4c22000a1faffd_7.jpg

Ed draws on Buster to break Bear's record

Jesus H Christ...

Ed will be an interesting one this year. His lack of polish with ball in hand was glaring at times. That said you had to really watch him closely to appreciate his good work...often it was only on a second or third re-watch of a match that I started to notice him still plugging away late in quarters, willing himself to every contest.

Is there any chance he could polish his disposal up to an acceptable standard? I suppose our captain in waiting did, though I don't recall AC coming from as far back as Ed. Hope so...that running power could be a massive asset with restricted rotations on the horizon.

I also went along today. Nice sharp session, although again nothing too significant to report.

A few standouts:

Re: Tom Bell, we're gonna need a bigger boat. The bloke is seriously huge. Due to everyone wearing Andrew Walker's hat/different numbers, it was really difficult to pick the boys out at first. I was wondering who our new full-forward was for a while until I realised it was Bell. He is enormous across the shoulders. Trained very strongly.

Walker is almost the best performer on the training track I've ever seen. Simply outstanding in everything he does.

I thought Laidler trained really strongly, which is a great sign. Was very clean with his marking and kicked efficiently off both feet.

ROK's intensity was right up there and he was very good by foot (as usual).

Casboult was the standout in the the drill where the key forwards were asked to lead-up, double back, lead again, and then run back in a big arc before taking a hanger on a bag. May not be the quickest bloke out there but his intensity is very good and he never stops running. Never looked like dropping a mark today either. I was actually pretty impressed by Rowe too, whose fitness levels look far superior to this time last year.

Yarran was excellent in everything he did, as was Armfield. Duigan moved very freely but his kicking still needs a lot of work, especially on his non-preferred.

No Jamison today if I'm not mistaken, although it was really difficult to account for everyone given the number situation.

Lucas definitely out there today. His intensity was VERY good but his disposal let him down on several occasions. The boys seemed pretty vocal in their encouragement of him though and it was good to see him getting around the track with such purpose.

Carrazzo only had a light session but was extremely vocal throughout. Really led from the front and provided good instruction and encouragement to the taller blokes in the marking drill (Warnock & McCarthy in particular).

McLean excellent - his precise kicking was a real highlight.

Overall a pretty sharp session from most players. Plenty of talk out there too, which is always a great sign (although of course to be expected at this optimism-laden time of year).

Bell is a monster, runs fast, vociferous and enthusiastic - spent a bit of time with Juddy one on one in set one two plays. .

Jesus H Christ!!!!

Why are they putting the human wrecking ball anywhere need Juddy, we all know what Belly did to Jobe last year.

I'm more worried about Kane Lucas' lack of bulk. He's pretty strong overhead though so could be like Simpson yet I can't get the image of Harry O'Brien rag-dolling him in a contest.

Have gone back and watched his pre draft videos and all his debut season games and I just really hope Malthouse can turn him into a useful player. I worry about Sugar...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those regulars who head to training quite often such as Harker.

Is it a Malthouse thing for the team to be training in their game jumpers? Whenever I have attended training they are usually wearing their training jumpers or training singlets.

Question for those regulars who head to training quite often such as Harker.

Is it a Malthouse thing for the team to be training in their game jumpers? Whenever I have attended training they are usually wearing their training jumpers or training singlets.

Nah Mate it was team photo day so they already had them on hence why it didn't matter if they had the right numbers cause you wouldn't see it in the photos

Nah Mate it was team photo day so they already had them on hence why it didn't matter if they had the right numbers cause you wouldn't see it in the photos
Cheers for the replies folks, I know the Crows usually train in their game jumpers so thought that maybe the club were trying something new.

I actually have Cameron Croad's 2004 long sleeve game jumper which only made one appearance and that was for the team photo that year. :thumbsu:

I'm more worried about Kane Lucas' lack of bulk. He's pretty strong overhead though so could be like Simpson yet I can't get the image of Harry O'Brien rag-dolling him in a contest.

Have gone back and watched his pre draft videos and all his debut season games and I just really hope Malthouse can turn him into a useful player. I worry about Sugar...
I reckon that this will be the year that Sugar gets his game time. I dont think that Ratts was all that impressed with him and therefore didnt tend to trust him as much as he should have done and therefore didnt give him the game time he needed to get his development on track.

I think that this year with MM in charge, we will be seeing a lot more of Lucas on the field... and in a similar situation to what happened with Rusty and Emu, the increased game time will lead to an increase in confidence and his skill levels will start to improve out of sight.

Fellaini is worse
true... but I am a united supporter... not that interested in Everton beyond beating them a couple of times a year :)

The only reason I know about Luiz is because one of my housemates is a fanatical Chelsea supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back