Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have mentioned above, I'm not sure Tuohy has the vision to make it as a mid, and I'm not convinced by his ability to win enough ball. I hope he proves me wrong though, and if anyone can get the best out of him, I'm sure Mick's the one to do it.

Looks like Malthouse has adopted a 'less if more' approach to pre-season training. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as the year progresses.
Considering that Collingwood had a couple of reasonably good seasons (apart from last year under FIGJAM) with injury, I reckon his softly softly approach, along with rotations and playing young blokes who/when they deserve it, will reap benefits for us on-field this year. :thumbsu:

Looks like Malthouse has adopted a 'less if more' approach to pre-season training. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as the year progresses.

I wonder if his intention is to use more of the list next season, in particular the 'fringe players'. There also has to be a point where flogging guys on the pre-season track becomes a negative, not necessarily in terms of significant injuries occurring but more general fatigue and perhaps a feeling of not feeling fresh come rnd 1.

Hammering it continuously over summer may give you a great fitness base at the start of the season but I reckon the potential for the body to succumb a lot sooner during the season proper would be higher.

I really liked the way training was set up yesterday. There appeared unlike sometimes when I saw training last year to be a real purpose to what they were doing. MM to me loved every minute of it and it was a rather long session. He was involved in absolute everything and he was constanly encouraging and giving an evil stare when necessary.

Like some have already said the players who will benefit the most from this will be players who need to come out of their shell. Matthew Watson, Kane Lucas, Paddy McCarthy and possibly Jeff Garlett.

It appeared from yesterdays session notable admissions were some of the older guys who wont start until next week. But it was great to Chris Judd up and about. The bloke just wants to be involved.

Finally I thought the kicking skills were A1. Admittedly there was no pressure but guys like Buckley and the new kid from Gippsland can really kick the pill.

Better than for some other days I have seen him, but we know what we're going to get from Casboult, unfortunately.
His action needs work and that clearly change doesn't come about easily, but the goal-kicking looked good today, relatively speaking.
Much more confident in Mitchells kicking. Has that bent leg but the leg follows through what looks perfectly.
I reckon that if we can get a couple of goals a game from Casboult it's a bonus... I think that he will be a good solid workhorse for us, taking marks and dishing off to the little guys if he has to. But I think that eventually, with a lot of game time, he will start really drilling the ball and nailing goals for us. If he can nail a couple of goals each week, then it's a bonus.

It will be good to see both Casboult and Mitchell as our forwards in the future... I reckon that they will both cause opposition defences a lot of grief.

I noticed Simon White being used as a forward option in the training drills yesterday. Its really difficult to see how this will work if it happens but White is super competitive and is quick and takes a nice mark.

I noticed Simon White being used as a forward option in the training drills yesterday. Its really difficult to see how this will work if it happens but White is super competitive and is quick and takes a nice mark.

Quick? Noticeably quicker than when I saw him a couple of times in VFL games last year.
Where does this speed come from?

I have White in my best 22 because he can provide the tall swing man option we previously had with Thornton.
He'll also hurt you physically now. Become a bit of a brute is Whitey. Really wish him well but then again I wish the same for all of our boys.

Perhaps this speed from White has come as a result of more strength and confidence in his body, which has been savaged by injury these past few seasons. I really like the idea of White taking over T-bird's swing man role

Perhaps MM has White in mind as the 3rd tall in the forward line given there have been suggestions that Walker may be allocated a different role this season.

Quick? Noticeably quicker than when I saw him a couple of times in VFL games last year.
Where does this speed come from?

I have White in my best 22 because he can provide the tall swing man option we previously had with Thornton.
He'll also hurt you physically now. Become a bit of a brute is Whitey. Really wish him well but then again I wish the same for all of our boys.

The speed comes from having an injury free preseason, and the confidence that comes with it. The coaches have made constant mention in the past of his running ability.

I didn't have White in my initial 'best 22' for 2013, but I have mentioned him as one I who I believe could really surprise us next year and one who could well be our greatest improver over the next year. Ratten was clearly a fan of White's, but unfortunately to this point in time he's never been able to show that consistently because he's not been able to stay away from the rehab group for any period of time. As such, I actually had him in my list of players who could well lose their place on the list at the end of the season. However, the longer the preseason drags, the more convinced I become that if he does remain injury free, he'll not only retain his place on the list beyond next season, but he could well be in our starting 22 before too long. If I'm to do a best 22 now I still wouldn't have him there, however ask me in March, and I won't be so sure.

There is plenty to like about Simon, there always has been - he's just not been able to show it consistently. Can genuinely play and be a solid contributor at both ends of the ground, and as I've said in other posts I wouldn't mind him being trialed through the midfield as I feel he can have an impact there as well. Probably doesn't have a real stand-out trait to his game but he does tick a fair few boxes and I have no doubt if he's a little luckier with injuries he will be able to show it because he's a hard worker and will get the best out of himself. With his size, strength, work rate and athletic ability, as well possessing genuine flexibility which is such an asset in the modern game, I think he can be a valuable player for us in 2013 and beyond.

Well and truly one to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three wins for work ethic
“We were lucky. All of us had seen a bit of him, and I probably pushed a bit harder just to get him because I thought we needed that type a player - a player able to play at both ends,” Rogers said.

“For us he’s probably better suited forward, but for him he’s probably better suited back. I reckon we can probably cover him across half-back with Paul Bower and those blokes and we don’t have that forward that can be hard at the footy, lead up and be the hit-up forward.

“Everyone here thinks he’s a really hard-nosed, tough player, but he wasn’t like that at Subiaco. When he had to go he did, and I knew he had it in him, but he was actually a really good runner, which is the bit we haven’t seen yet."
Three wins for work ethic

Subiaco defender White on AFL recruiting radars
White's brave marking, his powerful running endurance and exciting flexibility has been likened to Hunter, who was a hero in West Coast's 2006 premiership win over Sydney.
Subiaco defender White on AFL recruiting radars

Has nice hands...

Found the ball when he went forward against Collingwood...

I wonder if his intention is to use more of the list next season, in particular the 'fringe players'. There also has to be a point where flogging guys on the pre-season track becomes a negative, not necessarily in terms of significant injuries occurring but more general fatigue and perhaps a feeling of not feeling fresh come rnd 1.

Hammering it continuously over summer may give you a great fitness base at the start of the season but I reckon the potential for the body to succumb a lot sooner during the season proper would be higher.

Its hard to say what effects it had on us ... wonder if things may have been different on those weeks where the team just did not turn up?

Were we just exhausted?

It really is a tough call but we will see next year whether MM and his training methods reap rewards in the shape of less injuries and less fatigue.

White actually came to us as a FB, but his highlight package IIRC had him playing FF too. He has shed some puppy fat now and put on some serious toids. Very good lead and mark and a real good reader of the play. Thornton is the perfect comparison and Whitey could really surprise. It may also allow Tex to play more on the ball. Mitchell on the other hand will hopefully be past his injuries and can become the next great Carlton CHF.

Get these pansies in white long pants off the box and bring back the real men in Navy blue. Damn excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back