Pre Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ashley Hockey

Just An Interesting Fact.In the shepparton news 2day it said that ashley was invited to train in front of the essendon hierachi!do you think essendon might be interested in him?

Better not be any more than a rookie list spot!

Better not be any more than a rookie list spot!

Another player you are an expert on is he ?
Please do inform us what is wrong with Hockey.

Just An Interesting Fact.In the shepparton news 2day it said that ashley was invited to train in front of the essendon hierachi!do you think essendon might be interested in him?
No surpise there. Weve got 2 spots left in our senior list along with a early rookie draft pick so we would be trying out alot of youngsters.

Another player you are an expert on is he ?
Please do inform us what is wrong with Hockey.

Nothing, but there is a few players I'd want in the PSD ahead of him thats all. Collard, Bellchambers, McGuinnty, Dunn, Arrowsmith.

If we drafted Arrowsmith i'd be pretty pissed off. I have seen him plenty of times in his junior and Calder career.

If we drafted Arrowsmith i'd be pretty pissed off. I have seen him plenty of times in his junior and Calder career.

He is not high on my list either but he is training with us so I have to be realistic. As long as we only use a Rookie pick on him, I'll be happy.

Pretty much all we need is a Ruckman and a wingman to top off our senior list, then whoever we want for our Rookie listings.

As long as we get a good ruckman for the PSD i'm happy.

He is not high on my list either but he is training with us so I have to be realistic. As long as we only use a Rookie pick on him, I'll be happy.

Things may different this year with a new coach but recent history says if you train with us chances are you wont be drafted by us. Given that i think they are going to stay well away from recycled players a couple of the boys training with us are some chance.
As far as Hockey goes obviously i like McGinnity more but i would take Hockey over Arrowsmith. Hockey is more of a genuine mid who can get in and win the footy and has pretty good pace. His kicking can be a bit patchy which is his biggest problem. It is not horrible but it can be untidy.I still dont mind him though as he knows how to find the footy and where to run and he goes in hard if needed. His clearance work is good as well.
As far as Arrowsmith goes im the turnover issue aside i am just not convinced he suits our needs. Just a bit too outside and not always hard enough at the contest. When he is on song his kicking is much better than Hockey's.If we take Arrowsmith i won't complain.There are worse options and if they can get him playing the way he did during the finals week in and week out he will be handy.

FOUR QUEENSLANDERS ON ROOKIE TRIAL IN MELBOURNE

Four Queensland teenagers have been handed an opportunity to press their claims ahead of the 11 December NAB Rookie Draft with an AFL trial.

Mt.Gravatt pair Rohan Bail and Matthew Davis, Broadbeach’s Dayne Zorko and Zillmere’s Rhys Magin flew to Melbourne last night and will train under AFL conditions.

Bail, who already had a stint at St.Kilda in the lead-up to the national draft, is at Essendon with Zorko and Magin, while Davis is training at Richmond.

Bail, Zorko and Magin have set up a base at a motel within walking distance of Essendon’s Windy Hill headquarters, while Davis is staying with Richmond recruiting manager Francis Jackson while training at Punt Road.

Zorko, Magin and Davis were teammates in this year’s Queensland U18 side with Zillmere pair Brendan Whitecross and Sam Reid, who were claimed by Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs respectively in the national draft.

Bail, a key member in Mt.Gravatt’s 2007 Velocity Sports Cup premiership side, was a Queensland U18 squad member in 2006 before his representative campaign was cut short by injury.

The three players at Essendon will return home on Friday night, while Davis will stay through until next Monday night – the eve of the pre-season and rookie drafts.

In a further good news bulletin for aspiring Queensland rookies, other clubs have expressed significant interest without going down the training path.

While Joey Daye, Joel Smouha and David Hill are too young to be rookie listed, Morningside’s Ben Gibson, Broadbeach’s Darin Stewart, Labrador’s Mat Clarke and Daniel Stewart, Redland’s Jake Spencer and Southport’s Broc McCauley and James Mulligan are right in the mix.

Likewise, Morningside’s John Williams, who is recovering well from a second shoulder reconstruction.

The southern rookie market has taken on an extra importance for Queenslanders this year following confirmation that the Brisbane Lions, with only one rookie spot open, will not be priority-listing any Queenslander rookies.

-----------

http://www.aflq.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=127883

Bail, Zorko and Magin other players we are looking at

Zorko comes across as the perfect rookie candidate in my mind. He's got a real ability to find the football and he goes in hard, it's just a little unclear if he's big enough or skilled enough. He's a natural footballer though, and guys like that, if given the opportunity, can crack it at AFL level, just look at guys like Sam Mitchell.

Magin's anotehr worth looking at. I thought he was a chance to go late in last year's draft but it didn't eventuate. He was a bit of a sleeper this year, but he doesn't lack ability.

I don't know too much abour Rohan Bail except that, along with St. Kilda, we've been looking at him for a while.

I cant believe Luke Garland from the Murray Bushrangers is being overlooked in all forms of drafts. I watched him a dozen times this year and his running ability and tackling are second to none in the whole of Victoria ! He would have been the fittest at the bushies by a mile, but at the same time rarely misses a target and makes the right decision 95% of the time. I rate him 10 times better as a foward than Arrowsmith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant believe Luke Garland from the Murray Bushrangers is being overlooked in all forms of drafts. I watched him a dozen times this year and his running ability and tackling are second to none in the whole of Victoria ! He would have been the fittest at the bushies by a mile, but at the same time rarely misses a target and makes the right decision 95% of the time. I rate him 10 times better as a foward than Arrowsmith.

How many forwards do we need?

Are you him? :p

I like Garland but did you watch the TAC GF? arrowsmith was very good while Garland was average at best.We see blokes like Arrowsmith too much and focus on his weaknesses and not his strengths. I personally would only use a rookie selection for him( see phantom PSD and Rookie Draft on Drafts and Trading thread on Thursday) but I wouldnt be shattered if Arrowsmith was taken PSD

Well maybe there is some sort of imposter Bellchambers who i was looking at at training last friday. The kid looks a million times better than he did when i saw him during the champs. He obviously has done a power of work since his last testing.

Fair enough but the fitness figures come from draft camp so they werent long ago. I prefer Stefan Martin but if we go for Bellchanmers, Lammie, Sullivan, Renton or Mulligan then so be it.

I like Garland but did you watch the TAC GF? arrowsmith was very good while Garland was average at best.We see blokes like Arrowsmith too much and focus on his weaknesses and not his strengths. I personally would only use a rookie selection for him( see phantom PSD and Rookie Draft on Drafts and Trading thread on Thursday) but I wouldnt be shattered if Arrowsmith was taken PSD

I will admit that the GF was disappointing for ALL bushrangers players (to be fair with probably the exception of 1 or 2). However Garland's first quarter showed he is more than capable at playing at a higher level. Arrowsmith was good, but in all honesty he also went missing after half time ! I just think out of the two Garland offers more potential as its been proven in the AFL you dont have to be 6'4'' or taller to be a very handy foward, as long as you've got a motor, and if anyone's seen Garland play will know he's got one of the biggest motors in the TAC cup. I'll use a very prominant example from this AFL season, Steve Johnson, Geelong FC !

Are you him? :p

No BB i am not him, I believe he hails from Ovens and Murray club Lavington, i think. Im further down the highway in Vic so i get to see a fair bit of the Bushrangers when they play in place like Shepperton and Benalla. Not being the best footballer myself, but one who's more than handy on his day, I tend to look for the kids who arent the flashiest or smoothest movers, but the one's who place a large importance on One %er's (eg- tackling, which he is exceptional at) and who can run ! It wasnt my intention to pump him up as a future brownlow medalist but I just think he deserves a chance at a higher level because he show's tremendous attributes like I just mention.

It wasnt my intention to pump him up as a future brownlow medalist but I just think he deserves a chance at a higher level because he show's tremendous attributes like I just mention.

Whilst that may be the case and he may deserve higher honours..please tell me how he would get a spot at Essendon as a FORWARD when we already have too many forwards. If we were to go for a forward it should be Sampi- not saying that we should. I just can't see him getting regular opportunities at Essendon.

Whilst that may be the case and he may deserve higher honours..please tell me how he would get a spot at Essendon as a FORWARD when we already have too many forwards. If we were to go for a forward it should be Sampi- not saying that we should. I just can't see him getting regular opportunities at Essendon.

It would be most likely that, if somehow it does eventuate, he would be selected in the Rookie Draft.

Very few teams select for position in the Rookie Draft, and nor should they. Very few players make it from the Rookie List and most teams tend to select guys they've uncovered with potential rather than the extra backman/forward/midfielder/ruckman they think they require. You draft on the basis of whether or not a guy could be something, not an average player that plays in a psotion you need covered. No team goes into the Rookie Draft expecting to uncover 10 year players, if one selection comes off, that's a huge bonus.

We may not need him, but if he's got good enough potential to be possibly promoted some day, we can always look to ebenfit via trade. I'd rather geta player that might make it in a psotion we don't need than get a guy that plays the right role, but will never be good enough.

Fair enough but the fitness figures come from draft camp so they werent long ago. I prefer Stefan Martin but if we go for Bellchanmers, Lammie, Sullivan, Renton or Mulligan then so be it.

I kept a close eye on him at training today and he finished of well. They had a very solid hit out today and he wasnt lagging behind or stuffing anything up.At no stage did he look like he was out of puff. He was as crisp and sharp as a big bloke could be.His skills and workrate have been impressive in the two training runs i have watched him in.
His lumbering style might be a concern but he has certainly done a lot of work in the 6 or 7 weeks since draft camp.
I think it is odds on that we will take him in the PSD if he is still avaialable.
:)

I kept a close eye on him at training today and he finished of well. They had a very solid hit out today and he wasnt lagging behind or stuffing anything up.At no stage did he look like he was out of puff. He was as crisp and sharp as a big bloke could be.His skills and workrate have been impressive in the two training runs i have watched him in.
His lumbering style might be a concern but he has certainly done a lot of work in the 6 or 7 weeks since draft camp.
I think it is odds on that we will take him in the PSD if he is still avaialable.
:)

Are you talking about Bellchambers here?

Is there a problem with collard or dunn that i'm not aware of? Surely Bellchambers is a rookie draft moral, those bigger lumbering types are perfect for the rookie aspect of your list. Both collard and dunn have a far wack of pace and would seem to fit with what knights is trying to put together. Collard or Dunn for the PSD...surely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back