Pre Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in the forward pocket specifically though did he, i can remember watching a few games last year and he played around half forward/midfield spearing passes into the forwards, and that's where he should be used, not deep in the pockets because IMO his kicking skills/delivery are something that the forwards would love to have each week.

Who specificly said forward pocket ? I know i didnt.
All i said was small forward and has played mainly as a forward.
Of course you would be usining him all over the forward line.

Who specificly said forward pocket ? I know i didnt.
All i said was small forward and has played mainly as a forward.
Of course you would be usining him all over the forward line.
Well that's where the crumbers play, they are inside the 50 crumbing everything that hits the ground and making the most of there opportunities. Half Forwards, play more up the ground and arn't deep enough to be a full time crumber and kick 30-50 goals a year.

Sampi

Ash Sampi has fallen out of favour with the Eagles. He was a super player not long ago before losing his spot to Lecras. Does anyone think he's worth a PSD pick? Could be a live wire up forward. We do have quite a few players of his ilk, but that would increase the advantage we would have in this area. He is only 23.

Re: Sampi

Ash Sampi has fallen out of favour with the Eagles. He was a super player not long ago before losing his spot to Lecras. Does anyone think he's worth a PSD pick? Could be a live wire up forward. We do have quite a few players of his ilk, but that would increase the advantage we would have in this area. He is only 23.

yer i would.....but i would take hardill first cause once fletcher and michael are gone where up shit creek.

could sampi be made a back pocket... i would love to see him with his skill and flair runnig from the back pocket, only thing is we dont need players with problems coming into the club......now i dont know if sampi has any but that should also be a factor

although haddril has had his fair share of injury problems i too would be keen for us to pick him up. especially as we probably will take a midfielder over rance with our first pick

Well that's where the crumbers play, they are inside the 50 crumbing everything that hits the ground and making the most of there opportunities. Half Forwards, play more up the ground and arn't deep enough to be a full time crumber and kick 30-50 goals a year.

Is that right. I suggest you try and take a look at some games again and find me how many times sides lined up with their small forwards in the pockets all the time. Sides generally go with 3 or 4 half fowrad flankers and not genuine forward pockets.
The role i would see Jetta playing is simlar to the one Bewick used to play. Some time in the middle. Some time at half forward and some time deeper depending on the forward set up. I dont think he will have the tank to be a genuine midfielder in the near future. His role will be the small goal kicking forward.
Everyone says we need a small forward. We one , Jetta , who could be a genuine star in the making in that role and people say no we need another one becasue he has to play midfield.

Faulkner,Vogals,Trotter,Dunn. Maybe one of this lot for a 1 year deal. But like i said im not overly excited about the PSD.

Luke Vogels would be a good get for Bendigo, he looks good at a slightly lower standard. At AFL level, he just gets lost in the pace of it.

Trotter, Dunn and Faulkner are interesting ones.

Trotter seems unable to overcome the effcts of injuries, I feel we may be wasting our time. He's got skills, but I doubt he's ever going to be able to put it all together.

Faulkner seems too much a lesser version of Andrew Lovett to me. He's got reasonable skills and a little bit of class, but struggles to find any consistency over 4 quarters and hasn't proven to be too effective around the goal mouth, which, if we're going to pickup a player of that mould, is necessary.

Ryley Dunn interests me a little. It's not so much that he can't overcome injuries, it's more that he keeps getting them. His skills could be better, but they're hardly atrocious and he certainly could be a handy extractor.

although haddril has had his fair share of injury problems i too would be keen for us to pick him up. especially as we probably will take a midfielder over rance with our first pick

Hadrill is 27 in January, doesnt fit in with Knights <24 policy. Plus he is an undersized KPP at 188cm, we dont need another one of them.

Collard I would consider depending on his attitude but I dont know him well enough to comment on it and I dont believe anyone in here would either, it is all heresay.

Sampi I would consider, less so than Collard so long as he has got himself into tip-top shape. If he is determined to make a go of things he'll have himself in the best knick of his career. If he doesnt he can get ****ed.

Other than that there isnt a great deal that appeals to me other than Dunn although I do think we need to pick up another experienced ruckman as insurance for Hille and Laycock as we have no-one else providing Knights continues to develop Ryder as a defender.

Hadrill is 27 in January, doesnt fit in with Knights <24 policy. Plus he is an undersized KPP at 188cm, we dont need another one of them.

Collard I would consider depending on his attitude but I dont know him well enough to comment on it and I dont believe anyone in here would either, it is all heresay.

Sampi I would consider, less so than Collard so long as he has got himself into tip-top shape. If he is determined to make a go of things he'll have himself in the best knick of his career. If he doesnt he can get ****ed.

Other than that there isnt a great deal that appeals to me other than Dunn although I do think we need to pick up another experienced ruckman as insurance for Hille and Laycock as we have no-one else providing Knights continues to develop Ryder as a defender.

Although he would, Sampi's manager this morning on SEN said he looked fit and had shed kgs.

Andrew McQualter (Stk) is a gun inside midfielder. I can't believe they delisted him!! 1st round (#17) selection in the 2004 draft, played 23 games and was really looking good cracking the side with Ball, Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo in the side. I think we could use his extraction and disposal skills.

Andrew McQualter (Stk) is a gun inside midfielder. I can't believe they delisted him!! 1st round (#17) selection in the 2004 draft, played 23 games and was really looking good cracking the side with Ball, Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo in the side. I think we could use his extraction and disposal skills.

I haven't seen heaps of him but what is did see he looked ok.

I think he is slowish though?

Might be worth considering

Possibly, but I doubt Carlton/Melb, etc would pass him up though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very unlikely carlton would take him with their current midfield

You can never have enough midfielders. And I always go with the view you pick the best available not whether he is a mid/KPP or whatever. Less complicated that way.

Very unlikely carlton would take him with their current midfield

This PSD isn't looking too bad after all.

I would say these guys could find a home:

Clayton Collard
Matthew Bode
Darren Pfeiffer
Marcus Allan
David Teague
Ryley Dunn
Robert Haddrill
Dylan McLaren
Andrew McQualter
Luke Vogels
Ashley Sampi
Cameron Faulkner
Ben Cousins

Clayton Collard
Matthew Bode
Darren Pfeiffer
Marcus Allan
David Teague
Ryley Dunn
Robert Haddrill
Dylan McLaren
Andrew McQualter
Luke Vogels
Ashley Sampi
Cameron Faulkner

Ben Cousins
Bolded the blokes who i think we will go for. Dodoro said we will be going for someone under 24.

Who hasnt de-listed yet?

Bolded the blokes who i think we will go for. Dodoro said we will be going for someone under 24.

Who hasnt de-listed yet?

My understanding is Port Adelaide have thus far only delisted 3 rookies.

We have pick 5 in the PSD, if Richmond take Cousins, then there's only 3 picks before us!

Clayton Collard
Matthew Bode
Darren Pfeiffer
Marcus Allan
David Teague
Ryley Dunn
Robert Haddrill
Dylan McLaren
Andrew McQualter
Luke Vogels
Ashley Sampi
Cameron Faulkner
Ben Cousins

David Teague certainly won't be finding a new home, he's signed on as captain-coach of the Northern Bullants.

I can't see anyone going near Marcus Allan, Dylan McLaren or Luke Vogels either.

I can't say I share your enthusiasm.

He seemed to me to be nothing more than a mediocre footballer. I can't see him ever stepping up to be anything more than a tagger.

Also, I wouldn't read into the fact that he cracked St. Kilda's midifled too deeply. Their upper tier in Ball, Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna and Hravey are great, but their rotation players are very ordinary.

In saying that, I was surprised he was delisted. I could see him carving out an average AFL career.

My understanding is Port Adelaide have thus far only delisted 3 rookies.

We have pick 5 in the PSD, if Richmond take Cousins, then there's only 3 picks before us!
Richmond wont go for Cousins.

They will go for Darren Pfeiffer imo.
Carlton will most likely pass.
Melbourne im not sure atm.
Dogs will go for a forward/back such as Bradley or maybe even Robert Haddrill

Is that right. I suggest you try and take a look at some games again and find me how many times sides lined up with their small forwards in the pockets all the time. Sides generally go with 3 or 4 half fowrad flankers and not genuine forward pockets.
The role i would see Jetta playing is simlar to the one Bewick used to play. Some time in the middle. Some time at half forward and some time deeper depending on the forward set up. I dont think he will have the tank to be a genuine midfielder in the near future. His role will be the small goal kicking forward.
Everyone says we need a small forward. We one , Jetta , who could be a genuine star in the making in that role and people say no we need another one becasue he has to play midfield.
Well if you want him to kick 30-50 goals a year like youv'e been saying you'd have to play him a FP crumber player because i just can't seem him being moved around between FP/HF/midfield and being able to kick that many goals, unless of course he becomes a very very good player.

If a player is crumbing, you don't have them half way up the ground crumbing, you want them close to goal where they are most dangerous kicking 30-50 goals, and if theyr'e spending half the time up the ground it is likely they wouldn't be able achieve this. IMO he would be better used up the ground full time rotating between half forward/midfield, because that's where he'd most useful to us IMO, considering the delivery into the forward line wasn't that great this year.

Well if you want him to kick 30-50 goals a year like youv'e been saying you'd have to play him a FP crumber player because i just can't seem him being moved around between FP/HF/midfield and being able to kick that many goals, unless of course he becomes a very very good player.

If a player is crumbing, you don't have them half way up the ground crumbing, you want them close to goal where they are most dangerous kicking 30-50 goals, and if theyr'e spending half the time up the ground it is likely they wouldn't be able achieve this. IMO he would be better used up the ground full time rotating between half forward/midfield, because that's where he'd most useful to us IMO, considering the delivery into the forward line wasn't that great this year.

So you never saw Bewick play ?
Seriously i would love to coach against your side as it would be rather predictable.
The trouble with your opinion in case you missed the several times i mentioned it is he has not got the endurance to play much midfield at the moment. It is going to take a number of years to build it up and im not sure he will ever have a genuine midfield tank. It was one of the reasons he slid so far in the darft. Clubs where not going to use a first round pick on a small forward.

Seriously i would love to coach against your side as it would be rather predictable.
The trouble with your opinion in case you missed the several times i mentioned it is he has not got the endurance to play much midfield at the moment. It is going to take a number of years to build it up and im not sure he will ever have a genuine midfield tank. It was one of the reasons he slid so far in the darft. Clubs where not going to use a first round pick on a small forward.

I had a man-crush on Boris, I absolutely loved the way he played the game... he had explosive pace, brialliant foot and hand skills... I wish he was at our club in some capacity!!! BRILLIANT!!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Then you must have missed the part where i said i'd like to see him rotating between half forward and the midfield, you don't need a big tank if your only rotating in and out of there for during the game, i never i wanted him playing as a full time midfield, because like you said it will take a while for him to develop a engine required to run in there full time.

Yes, and he was a great player, but i never payed special attention to the role he played as i was only a young tacker back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back