Pre Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ashley Sampi

Collard is a nice bloke, met him in Perth at a nightclub- so granted I am a bit bias there. Cousins I didn't say either way but if he wanted to come to Essendon I would look at him, whether I'd sign him is a different story! Sampi I believe will help our forward pressure, would be a great get!

Why not? If he is available at 5, I'd pick him up in a flash, he is a damn fine midfielder remember! It is just that I think Richmond will get him!

Small forwards are a dime a dozen and you can pick them up anywhere in any draft.

So far you have wanted Collard, Cousins and now Sampi.

Are you trying to turn us into a half way house for head cases?

FFS

Love your work Merv! :D

I must admit, reading some background information on him... I've gone lukewarm!

You'd want at least Jetta and Lovett in the middle, I like Davey up forward, great forward line pressure, I believe IF his head is right, Sampi could provide very similar presence, imagine this:

Lucas, Lloyd, Gumbleton, Neagle, Davey and Sampi! That is one heck of a potent forward line do you agree?

Middles would be Jetta, Stanton, Watson, Lovett, Dempsey, Hislop, Monfries and possibly Dyson IF he comes good! Knights obviously has a lot of faith in Dyson, his late goal against the Crows was a beauty!

Lovett is never going to be a full time fixture in the midfield. He will never have the tank. He is a bit player who you use in the middle part time or at half forward. Jetta is still a few years away from playing midfield and he has question marks on if that will be his main role anyway given he has played most of his junior footy as a forward. There is no doubt that he will get some roles running through the middle but his best value will be as a goal kicking small forward .
You can keep Sampi. I am not even slightly interested in going down the MR Fix it road again. We need to rebuild a solid list. We dont need to start playing with fire again.

I'd pick Cousins UP..but not before I would do a check on how he is in terms of rehab. Ideally I would wait till 2009 though for him. I still want Collard and Sampi though!

I think you need to check yourself into rehab.:D

Wouldnt say he was consistant.
20 goals in 19 games in 2005 is hardly sparkling stuff for a perminant forward.
32 goals in 22 games in 2004 was a good return but he did have 11 games with just 1 goal or less.
31 goals in 21 games for 2003 was also good but the same as 2004. 11 games with 1 goal or less.
And all of this is 3 seasons ago.
Yep lets make Essendon the number one place for those who have gone off the rails :thumbsdown:

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=319

I hear ya Ant, you do make good points. He is however at this stage, possibly the most skilled player that I am aware of that is nominating for the PSD in the age group that I would assume we are looking at 23-26.

Otherwise we look at an 18 year old that missed out or a 20 year old that didn't get opportunities elsewhere... Pfeiffer. Either way, it's hit and miss!

Doesn't mean he hasn't got a crap attitude. If he was as great off field as you seem to think he is, he wouldn't have been delisted.

Seemed nice though. Seemed like he wanted to play footy, attitude problems can be related to a number of things. You would be silly not to consider him! Had a nice night out actually- got home at 3am though! But he left a bit earlier.

We want players that are going bleed for our club, work for their team mates, put in the hard yards, knuckle down and work their asses off to become better footballers.

Not one of the players mentioned recently as pickups in the PSD are those type of players.

I would prefer to have 39 on the list than bring that crap into our club that we have FINALLY cleaned out.

Lovett is never going to be a full time fixture in the midfield. He will never have the tank. He is a bit player who you use in the middle part time or at half forward. Jetta is still a few years away from playing midfield and he has question marks on if that will be his main role anyway given he has played most of his junior footy as a forward. There is no doubt that he will get some roles running through the middle but his best value will be as a goal kicking small forward .
You can keep Sampi. I am not even slightly interested in going down the MR Fix it road again. We need to rebuild a solid list. We dont need to start playing with fire again.

Well if we've got so many midfielders from the "super" draft who are they? If Jetta isn't, if Davey isn't...

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=319

I hear ya Ant, you do make good points. He is however at this stage, possibly the most skilled player that I am aware of that is nominating for the PSD in the age group that I would assume we are looking at 23-26.

Otherwise we look at an 18 year old that missed out or a 20 year old that didn't get opportunities elsewhere... Pfeiffer. Either way, it's hit and miss!

I would sooner take Jason Cloke. At least then i know that if Cloke doesnt play a game the young kids will still have learnt something about work ethic and preperation.
Yes it is hit and miss with the kids but they wont have the same time bomb ticking away and are unlikely to lead others astray if they do jump the tracks again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if we've got so many midfielders from the "super" draft who are they? If Jetta isn't, if Davey isn't...

Never said Davey ;)
Lets see mids from the super draft. Hislop, Davey,Houli,Reimers. Mids from 2005 draft Dempsey,Lonergan,Hocking. Thats seven to add to Dyson,Monfries,Nash,Slattery and Winderlich in the younger brigade who have played under 50 games.

I would sooner take Jason Cloke. At least then i know that if Cloke doesnt play a game the young kids will still have learnt something about work ethic and preperation.
Yes it is hit and miss with the kids but they wont have the same time bomb ticking away and are unlikely to lead others astray if they do jump the tracks again.

I don't think Jason Cloke's work ethic has ever been questioned!

He's now 25, so he's in that bracket I mentioned, he's 189cm so that's a good sized half back flanker... but he's too slow for the running back line that Knights is after!

Of those currently available, who would you consider a descent prospect for our ranks in the PSD?

Never said Davey ;)
Lets see mids from the super draft. Hislop, Davey,Houli,Reimers. Mids from 2005 draft Dempsey,Lonergan,Hocking. Thats seven to add to Dyson,Monfries,Nash,Slattery and Winderlich in the younger brigade who have played under 50 games.

Granted, I think Hislop has a role to play in the middle. You think Davey will play as a middy? I'm a HUGE fan of Dempsey, he's exciting! Lonergan couldn't get a game in an average side... albeit he was injured in the later stages of the season for memory. Yep, Monfries would be an asset there, does he have the motor?

Nash, he's not a quality midfielder, half-back flank, Slattery... stopper!

Winderlich is NOT an elite midfielder and never will be, he is a hard running player, similar I suppose to Stanton in terms of abillity... whoops, I just named you another midfielder! ;)

We dont have a crumming forward ? Jetta , Davey , Lovett ;)

Whilst I'm against getting Ashley Sampi, I do see the need for a crumming forward.

Jetta is the only one of those 3 that is a genuinely good crummer. However, we'd be stupid to leave him in the foreard pocket for the rest of his career.

Davey's defensive pressure is great, but reading the ball off the pack is not his expertise.

Lovett's got great ball skills and great pace, but we don't see him grabbing too many balls off packs.

Last season, I saw so many balls go to ground in the forward line just for the opposition to snap it up. When Davey got injured, the opposition seemed to have all the time in the world to pick out an option and clear the ball. A good crummer could've made a big difference in our foreard line last year.

I don't think Sampi's mind's in the right spot, and such I don't think we should get him, but I wouldn't be against snapping up a guy like Addam Maric if he slipped to pick 23.

He's now 25, so he's in that bracket I mentioned, he's 189cm so that's a good sized half back flanker... but he's too slow for the running back line that Knights is after!

Of those currently available, who would you consider a descent prospect for our ranks in the PSD?

i agree - cloke is a good vfl player but is too slow for the afl game.

I know it's not the point, but surely you wouldn't want Jetta being wasted in the forward pocket, too much talent to be wasted there IMO.

It is actually where he has played his best footy as a junior. Jetta has not really done a lot as a midfielder so far. He also has a long way to go fitness wise before you could entertain putting him in the midfield for extended roles. He hasnt got that sort of endurance yet.
I think you will find his best role will be as a small forward who can kick 30 to 50 goals a year.

It is actually where he has played his best footy as a junior. Jetta has not really done a lot as a midfielder so far. He also has a long way to go fitness wise before you could entertain putting him in the midfield for extended roles. He hasnt got that sort of endurance yet.
I think you will find his best role will be as a small forward who can kick 30 to 50 goals a year.
Not in the forward pocket specifically though did he, i can remember watching a few games last year and he played around half forward/midfield spearing passes into the forwards, and that's where he should be used, not deep in the pockets because IMO his kicking skills/delivery are something that the forwards would love to have each week.

Well im on record as saying i wouldnt draft Cloke, simply becasue i dont think his disposal is up to it. It was more of a comment on how much i dont want Sampi ;)
As far as the PSD goes im not all that keen on anyone as such. Most have question marks on them.
Faulkner,Vogals,Trotter,Dunn. Maybe one of this lot for a 1 year deal. But like i said im not overly excited about the PSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back