Pre Season Draft ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Perry has played CHB for the roos and has done a pretty solid job. Is young and big, would love to take him if Mcphee doesn't slip throught that is. If we do then Thornton can finally play on a third tall, like he should be.

Aussie Joe said:
LMAO. If Big Red is not playing at CHB he will be playing CHF. There won't be any splinters in his arse.

Whitnall just isn't as dangerous as he used to be at CHF. Prefer others to be there instead-sure, he may pinch hit there, but he won't be there permanently.

Lance has done admirably at CHB, but let's face it-having him there is not ideal, as he is NOT a natural defender. Happy for him to spend some time there, but, once again, he is not a permanent defender.

Having him on the bench is not a bad thing, rather, we could use it to our advantage and end up being huge winners. Lance can start on the bench, and then be moved to where we need him most, whether it be at CHB or CHB. He can be very damaging then, as some would alreasy have tired at that stage, and he will be fresh.

Sure, it is radical, but it isn't such a stupid idea. We could benefit greatly from it. Having him on the bench does NOT mean we don't consider him to be in our best 18. Lance definitely is, but if we want to prolong his output and make him a very dangerous player, then this move should at least be considered.

Listening to Lance on SEN this morning, he said his favourite position is playing CHF. He is only playing CHB because we are down on tall defenders and he is filling that void for the moment. I think as soon as we get those young boys playing well in the backline CHF is where we will see Whitnall play his career out. And we all know he is good enough to do it!

Force said:
Listening to Lance on SEN this morning, he said his favourite position is playing CHF. He is only playing CHB because we are down on tall defenders and he is filling that void for the moment. I think as soon as we get those young boys playing well in the backline CHF is where we will see Whitnall play his career out. And we all know he is good enough to do it!

Interesting.

If Whitnall takes the CHF position, where does that leave Kennedy?

Is a forward line like this plausible?

Half forward flankers: Fisher, Gibbs
CHF: Whitnall
Out of the goalsquare: Kennedy
Stationed 25 metres out: Fevola, Lappin

With Waite on a wing?

Giving us:

Fisher---Whitnall---Gibbs
-----Fevola---Lappin------
---------- Kennedy---------------

Must be worth a try...would certainly throw the opposition.

I would be really shocked if Brock O'Brien got past both Freo and West Coast.

I've seen a lot of Joel Perry playing VFL for Tassie. He could be a very good Full Back in the future. Is a traditional full-back build and fairly mobile. The only question I have on him is whether he has bottomed out in development.

Jeremias said:
Interesting.

If Whitnall takes the CHF position, where does that leave Kennedy?

Is a forward line like this plausible?

Half forward flankers: Fisher, Gibbs
CHF: Whitnall
Out of the goalsquare: Kennedy
Stationed 25 metres out: Fevola, Lappin

With Waite on a wing?

Giving us:

Fisher---Whitnall---Gibbs
-----Fevola---Lappin------
---------- Kennedy---------------

Must be worth a try...would certainly throw the opposition.

Yeah, I like that forward structure. Like you said, it will really confuse the opposition. Hopefully Ratts and TD and work something out like this that really works for us. Kennedy is my favourite player and he's gonna be a beauty!!!:D
But where does that leave Betts then?? In the midfield or on the bench??

bluesfan said:
Yeah, I like that forward structure. Like you said, it will really confuse the opposition. Hopefully Ratts and TD and work something out like this that really works for us. Kennedy is my favourite player and he's gonna be a beauty!!!:D
But where does that leave Betts then?? In the midfield or on the bench??

Crap, forgot about Eddie. I wanted a small forward, and he completely slipped my mind.

Swap Lappin for Eddie, and put Lappin up the field, on the wing preferably, where he can drift forward and back.

Could be a killer forward line.

AndyWalkersGirl said:
I heard from a little birdie that McPhee was seen leaving Princess Park (MC LAbour park or whatever) last week.....

anyone else heard this?

I dont really want him, i dont like essendon rejects.
I do if they have the name "McPhee". I'm guessing he's not actually a reject

oaksy said:
i hope Mcphee re-signs or else this will be a massive mistake by carlton.

McPhee doesn't really have a choice now. Essendon have pick 2 in the PSD and we have committed to Ackland. So they can re-draft him if they want, and I can't see anyone better being available to make them choose. He'll re-sign rather than put himself and the club through that. If anything, all signing Ackland does is benefit the Bombers, close to our biggest rival!

There is absolutely no way we should have signed Ackland until McPhee was signed, sealed and back in training for Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting Players from Essendon isnt new ;), Justin Madden, Glenn Manton & now the delisted Cory mcgrath :)
and who ever else i left out

i'd rather anyone bar players from Collingwood ;)

Well there goes getting Mcphee or Perry. We've signed up Ackland, I know we need a ruckmen but is he a good enough? Didn't St. Kilda struggle in the ruck department this year?? At least he will be better then the other rucks we have got, but I think I would have preffered Mcphee or Perry. We should have just gone for the best available player and we definately didn't do that.

btdg said:
There is absolutely no way we should have signed Ackland until McPhee was signed, sealed and back in training for Essendon.

I would have hoped Carlton sussed out McPhee before signing Ackland. If he wasn't keen to come to Carlton, then we go for the next best deal. As for Perry, he might not have any intention to leave the 'roos, maybe he is just holding out for a better deal.

HugeBluesFan said:
I would have hoped Carlton sussed out McPhee before signing Ackland. If he wasn't keen to come to Carlton, then we go for the next best deal. As for Perry, he might not have any intention to leave the 'roos, maybe he is just holding out for a better deal.

I heard they did. He didn't want to come. Can you really expect him to?

BlueWorld said:
I heard they did. He didn't want to come. Can you really expect him to?

That sucks...goes to show how important the draft system is. Without it clubs in our position would struggle to survive...it hard to entice the players through trades and PSD while our current talent is harder to keep...without draft picks helping the weakest clubs you wonder where teams like Hawthorn, Saints and now us would end up.

Well I guess from what you guys are saying, thank god we were able to convince Ackland to come after all! He was probably upset about not being no. 1 with gardiner going over and he knew he would definately get more game time with us.

Just wondering whether people think there is any chance of picking up Skipworth or Makepeace in the ND or PSD? There names pop up quite a bit it seems.

Wouldn't mind a bit more midfield depth next year to put some more pressure on the likes of Carazzo, Bentick, Blackwell and Houlihan, who I still have questions about in the long term. Kouta is getting on and Stevens future after next year is questionable. Also injuries to Stevens, Scotland and Simpson would be pretty hard to cover. Seems like the good teams have good midfield depth and while Gibbs (should we get him) will walk into the side, the other picks might take a few years to come through.

Makepeace seems like a pretty good small defender and with McGrath gone and Lappin getting older he might be a good option over the next couple of year. I always wonder who to play as small back pocket. Not sure if backpocket is the best position for Carazzo plus Bannister needs to do more to hold a senior spot.

Are either Skipworth or Makepeace up to it?

i would be very interested in skipworth....not so much makepeace,
but the way i'd tend to think about it is, who would i prefer (insert name here) instead of davies and teague and for mine
makepeace and skipworth tick both boxes.
btw i'm a newbie carlton passionate since birth, seen the good times and felt the bad :( but the future (gibbs, murph, kennedy, waite, fev.....looks really good) hopefully something to fill the greatness needed for a premiership.
maybe gibbs, murph, kennedy, waite, fev
will become the new ratten, bradley, spaulding, kouta and sticks
i damn hope so :D

blue_kings said:
but the way i'd tend to think about it is, who would i prefer (insert name here) instead of davies and teague and for mine
makepeace and skipworth tick both boxes.
:D

My thinking too...but I would rather get rid of Teague and Saddington before Davies.

av76 said:
Just wondering whether people think there is any chance of picking up Skipworth or Makepeace in the ND or PSD? There names pop up quite a bit it seems.

Wouldn't mind a bit more midfield depth next year to put some more pressure on the likes of Carazzo, Bentick, Blackwell and Houlihan, who I still have questions about in the long term. Kouta is getting on and Stevens future after next year is questionable. Also injuries to Stevens, Scotland and Simpson would be pretty hard to cover. Seems like the good teams have good midfield depth and while Gibbs (should we get him) will walk into the side, the other picks might take a few years to come through.

Makepeace seems like a pretty good small defender and with McGrath gone and Lappin getting older he might be a good option over the next couple of year. I always wonder who to play as small back pocket. Not sure if backpocket is the best position for Carazzo plus Bannister needs to do more to hold a senior spot.

Are either Skipworth or Makepeace up to it?

No! I don't mind Skipworth and agree he's better than some of our existing midfielders but NO!

It's clear this year that we've moved away from picking up mature players aftrer so so many failures. Ackland's the exception to try to address a desperate need.

Lets look at some of the mature age pickups we've had in recent years - and i'm not having a go at the club here, as without so many high draft picks we had to try something:

Harford
Bowyer
Longmuir
Chambers
McGrath
Mott
Bannister
Morrell
Saddington
Teague
Mclaren
Johnson
oh of course, Martyn!
Scotland
French

i'm sure there's more but that's all i could think of. Would argue only those last two have been clear success stories, and both came at a cost via trade, most of the rest are gone.

Yet with late/PSD/rookie picks we've picked up likes of Thornton, Betts, Bentick and Fisher - along with some failures also as you'd expect. Even Simpson at 34 in a similarly deep draft was a clear bargain.

We're better off punting on youth and hoping we uncover a diamond with our late Nat draft picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre Season Draft ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back