A Section Premier 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventured out of my comfort zone to have a look at the snowdogs and the all conquering champion team of the last 15 years. Bernies stiff that a late set shot hit the post but Xavs did find a way to win as they usually do in the tight ones. Ball, Biddlecombe, Wynne, Lynch and Handley all got hold of the pill at important times, no surprises there. How Bernies could not front up the week before at Trinity with the attitude displayed at home on Sat is one of those Ammo questions that confront a lot of clubs at different times. My blokes eventually got over ran at home after starting well I'm told.

With a broken nose coming at the right time for Jack given the week off , its testing times for my beloved blues with Purples, Bernies, Carey and Xavs in next month. Perhaps our fate will be decided against Trinity at the home of the Hedgeburners in round 16, it could be a battle royale like round 18 in 2011. Right now Xavs have it all wrapped up after their triumps in the last month being Dela, Colls, Scotch and Bernies, they do finish with Dela and Colls which is a tough draw given the current ladder positions however should they succeed as expected they will be in red hot form and brimming with confidence.

I'm tipping one more loss somewhere along the line but they will be there on the last day. Carey on the up, how many can Yze play and in particular which ones ? that could be the key, they have Scotch's measure who were very disappointing yesterday after a super start. Surely Caulfield will win one, could the Scotch brigade drop 4 in a row ???? . Finally hats off to a great display of brilliance around the goals to Andrew Grosso of St Bernards, pity the result didn't go your way.

Ventured out of my comfort zone to have a look at the snowdogs and the all conquering champion team of the last 15 years. Bernies stiff that a late set shot hit the post but Xavs did find a way to win as they usually do in the tight ones. Ball, Biddlecombe, Wynne, Lynch and Handley all got hold of the pill at important times, no surprises there. How Bernies could not front up the week before at Trinity with the attitude displayed at home on Sat is one of those Ammo questions that confront a lot of clubs at different times. My blokes eventually got over ran at home after starting well I'm told.

With a broken nose coming at the right time for Jack given the week off , its testing times for my beloved blues with Purples, Bernies, Carey and Xavs in next month. Perhaps our fate will be decided against Trinity at the home of the Hedgeburners in round 16, it could be a battle royale like round 18 in 2011. Right now Xavs have it all wrapped up after their triumps in the last month being Dela, Colls, Scotch and Bernies, they do finish with Dela and Colls which is a tough draw given the current ladder positions however should they succeed as expected they will be in red hot form and brimming with confidence.

I'm tipping one more loss somewhere along the line but they will be there on the last day. Carey on the up, how many can Yze play and in particular which ones ? that could be the key, they have Scotch's measure who were very disappointing yesterday after a super start. Surely Caulfield will win one, could the Scotch brigade drop 4 in a row ???? . Finally hats off to a great display of brilliance around the goals to Andrew Grosso of St Bernards, pity the result didn't go your way.

Gallops, have to say that was really well put together and an interesting summation. Seriously that's the type of wrap up I love and tipping plenty others too. I too had a look at OS and they could in fact drop 4 in a row after that performance. Started really well but shat themselves in the third over thinking what might happen if thy don't kick goals! collegians just grindedvthat out stuck to their game plan.

Bernies a real show to pinch 4th, Merrington massive out Sat. Will tip Bernies to win 5 of last 7, Scotch 40 and Carey good enough for sure but may miss.

Bernies a real show to pinch 4th, Merrington massive out Sat. Will tip Bernies to win 5 of last 7, Scotch 40 and Carey good enough for sure but may miss.

They'll need to win a few comfortably to turn their percentage around at the same time. Their defence has leaked a lot of points so far this season. Scotch potentially the team to fall, with Carey and Bernies to battle it out for 4th.

The only other question around 4th is whether that late season run that Uni Blues are renowned for will eventuate this year.

Heard Bernard's still have a few players to come back in (forgot names, sorry), and were disappointed to come out with a loss on the weekend. Should get stronger as the season winds down. Will be interesting whether they can get 4th.

Heard Bernard's still have a few players to come back in (forgot names, sorry), and were disappointed to come out with a loss on the weekend. Should get stronger as the season winds down. Will be interesting whether they can get 4th.
This talk of having players out is just a "furphy". All teams have a number of players out, week in week out.
As most people will probably agree its the quality of your last 6 that counts more so than that of their first 6.
Look at at the top 4 four teams in Premier and then look at where their Reserves are placed for the corresponding round. The simple answer is that the depth of these clubs are far greater than of those below. Getting back to dOgs, "still have a few players to come back". It will be cold comfort for his argument that OS last week had approx 3 out and Coll had approx. 6 out. Its called a level playing field.

This talk of having players out is just a "furphy". All teams have a number of players out, week in week out.
As most people will probably agree its the quality of your last 6 that counts more so than that of their first 6.
Look at at the top 4 four teams in Premier and then look at where their Reserves are placed for the corresponding round. The simple answer is that the depth of these clubs are far greater than of those below. Getting back to dOgs, "still have a few players to come back". It will be cold comfort for his argument that OS last week had approx 3 out and Coll had approx. 6 out. Its called a level playing field.

agree to all of this!

...but

snowdogs had their two best players out on the weekend in merro (injured, could be out for nearly the season) and josh madden (overseas). these two lads could of surely got the boys over the line

however was good to see the young blokes step up. there was 7 or so u/19s playing, this suggests their back 6 is pretty good when you push xavs all the way

I agree with you flat footy on the fact that every club has injuries, was just saying it was a great effort considering they only went down by a few points to the top to the ladder side when they had players out.

As barney said, the Bernard's side of this year is very very young, so its good to see the crop coming through for the club.

I agree, a good effort indeed! "Kids are King" preferably from the school involved. When you get them
coming through, they are the life blood of any club. When hired guns come along, they are invariabley more trouble than they are worth.

Agree with all. I know Carey started making inroads up the sections when they finally got a under 19 team up and running. Plenty of the current senior team played under 19's at the club and this year that trend has continued.

1 - Xavs - 35 (players used)
2 - Coll - 36
3 - De La - 42
4 - Carey - 44
5 - Scotch - 35
6 - Bernards - 36
7 - Uni Blues - 43
8 - Bedes -34
9 - Trinity- 36
10 - Caulf - 46

No real correlations can be drawn fromt this stat it appears

Caulfield v Scotchies
Collegians v Blues
Bernies v Old Carey (crunch game for both clubs)
Xavs v SBMT
Old Trinity v DLS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 - Coll - 36
3 - De La - 42
4 - Carey - 44
5 - Scotch - 35
6 - Bernards - 36
7 - Uni Blues - 43
8 - Bedes -34
9 - Trinity- 36
10 - Caulf - 46

Except that Carey and De La have fairly good depth? And caulfield do not?

Tips this week

Scotch
Collegians
Bernards
Xavs
De La

Top three is set and whoever finishes third will pants the team who finishes fourth in the first final. Should be a cracking last two weeks of the finals series though! Xavs going to be far too strong for mine.

Except that Carey and De La have fairly good depth? And caulfield do not?

Tips this week

Scotch
Collegians
Bernards
Xavs
De La

Top three is set and whoever finishes third will pants the team who finishes fourth in the first final. Should be a cracking last two weeks of the finals series though! Xavs going to be far too strong for mine.

Tips.

Scotch.
Coll.
Bernies.
Xavs.
De La.

Agree with Scuz except maybe his thoughts on Xavs, who were beaten by Scotch. Dela won one, lost one to Coll. The Coll/Xavs game had 1 goal kicked in 60 mins of football between them. The coditions were Ok,
marks were being taken, wicket area was a little sticky and maybe a 2 goal breeze. Colls kicked 13 pts,(10 set shots) Xavs 1. 3 approx. after half time. I know its all semantics, still to close to call.

2 - Coll - 36
3 - De La - 42
4 - Carey - 44
5 - Scotch - 35
6 - Bernards - 36
7 - Uni Blues - 43
8 - Bedes -34
9 - Trinity- 36
10 - Caulf - 46

Good analysis, but I think there is a few things you can draw.

- 3 of the top 4 have mid 30's and also good depth in the twos but a settled side makes a big difference.
- Swap Bedes and OT's numbers with DeLa and Carey and I think that based on their depth of Bedes they would almost be totally gone. You would also see De La set as top 2 and Carey would have claims as well.

Caulfield v Scotchies
Collegians v Blues
Bernies v Old Carey (Hawthorn playing Saturday)
Xavs v SBMT
Old Trinity v DLS

Good analysis, but I think there is a few things you can draw.

- 3 of the top 4 have mid 30's and also good depth in the twos but a settled side makes a big difference.
- Swap Bedes and OT's numbers with DeLa and Carey and I think that based on their depth of Bedes they would almost be totally gone. You would also see De La set as top 2 and Carey would have claims as well.

Caulfield v Scotchies
Collegians v Blues
Bernies v Old Carey (Hawthorn playing Saturday)
Xavs v SBMT
Old Trinity v DLS

OS
Coll Sauntner gone for season though
OC
Xavs
OT

2 - Coll - 36
3 - De La - 42
4 - Carey - 44
5 - Scotch - 35
6 - Bernards - 36
7 - Uni Blues - 43
8 - Bedes -34
9 - Trinity- 36
10 - Caulf - 46

Thinks this shows that Careys depth is better than everyone seems to think.

De La depth exceptional. 42 players used and despite a few hiccups they sit comfortably in 3rd. Ressies 2 games clear on top and 19s also on top. Plenty of able replacements at their disposal (had used 49 to the same stage in a horror 2011)

Credit also to Carey. 44 used and despite an average reserves side have managed to stay in the hunt. Have proved a few wrong including myself. Their top end is as good as anyone’s. Uni Blues have always been renowned for their depth but seem unable to cover some big absences this year.

De La depth exceptional. 42 players used and despite a few hiccups they sit comfortably in 3rd. Ressies 2 games clear on top and 19s also on top. Plenty of able replacements at their disposal (had used 49 to the same stage in a horror 2011)

Credit also to Carey. 44 used and despite an average reserves side have managed to stay in the hunt. Have proved a few wrong including myself. Their top end is as good as anyone’s. Uni Blues have always been renowned for their depth but seem unable to cover some big absences this year.

Agree big time re DLS. To have 2's where they are and have used 42 in 1's show an enormous depth of quality player. 2's is a good comp. Carey numbers do shed an interesting light on their better than first thought depth. Beds the question, would a full strength DLS be clearly the best side in the comp?

Agree big time re DLS. To have 2's where they are and have used 42 in 1's show an enormous depth of quality player. 2's is a good comp. Carey numbers do shed an interesting light on their better than first thought depth. Beds the question, would a full strength DLS be clearly the best side in the comp?

Not so sure. I think the best thing about De La’s list is that they can cover major absences and probably have 35 plus players who don’t look out of place in Premier A seniors. However if everyone was at full strength and you lined up the best 18 from all teams Collegians look pretty imposing to me.

As that is never likely to happen and assuming that all clubs will have a some absences De La do look reasonably well placed. Double chance very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back