A Section Premier 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the pre-season pessimism moved to at least some optimism re the Bellers as we speak Rooster 24?

Only saw one of our practice games and based on what I was told about the other games I was not overly confident. I think I suggested we would be one of several fighting for a spot in the 4 and have not really seen anything to change my views yet. We could very easily be 0 –2. Honestly believe we have a mid table list (4-7), at least compared to some of the other clubs.

However in our favour is that we have a very tight group who love the club and play for the coach, which is probably worth a few goals. I reckon Trinity have the same. Rds 1 & 2 our point’s value was 23. Our opposition in both rounds was 38 and 37 respectively so if nothing else it is a win for ‘home grown’ talent. Very early days so ask me after about 6 rounds. Over the next month a clubs depth and ability to play in different conditions gets tested which gives a better indication as to their fortunes over 18 rounds.

Xavier the team to beat followed by Trinity and Blues with De La hopefully nipping at the heels . Xavs have 7 or 8 new players of real quality and once they get accustomed to playing with each other I expect they will go to another level. Shame that their graduating U19s never get an opportunity.

I could write a list of Xavs unders, who went on to play senior footy for you...if I had a spare few hours...

I could write a list of Xavs unders, who went on to play senior footy for you...if I had a spare few hours...

Not a criticism Canada, simply an observation. How could you possibly criticise a recruiting model that has delivered such sustained success over a long period? But the reality is very few graduating U19s get an opportunity at senior level at Xavs as they have a clear preference for bringing in mature, seasoned footballers. And that’s fine but when you consider that in the last decade the Xavs unders have rarely finished outside the top 2 in my view that is a great shame. The appetite for success at TP does not lend itself to development or rebuilds. Just ask Andy Gowers !

They have bought in 10 players this year directly from the VFL or other comps. On top of the established core how and when will more than 1 or 2 (if any) current or graduating U19 get an opportunity? Simple mathematics means that they will not.

Not a criticism Canada, simply an observation. How could you possibly criticise a recruiting model that has delivered such sustained success over a long period? But the reality is very few graduating U19s get an opportunity at senior level at Xavs as they have a clear preference for bringing in mature, seasoned footballers. And that’s fine but when you consider that in the last decade the Xavs unders have rarely finished outside the top 2 in my view that is a great shame. The appetite for success at TP does not lend itself to development or rebuilds. Just ask Andy Gowers !

They have bought in 10 players this year directly from the VFL or other comps. On top of the established core how and when will more than 1 or 2 (if any) current or graduating U19 get an opportunity? Simple mathematics means that they will not.

Rooster, of those 10 players you say they have brought in, how many are Xavs players returning to the "fold".

Rooster, of those 10 players you say they have brought in, how many are Xavs players returning to the "fold".

I know at least 4 are not Xavier old boys. The 3 Johnson’s (Caulfield Grammar) and Jay Bruno and a least 2 have not played at the club previously (Thomas and Howe). Goss, Noonan and Wynne all returning. Not sure on Woodley.

On another note I see young Jenkinson has crossed to Wesley from Xavs. Handy pick up. The lad goes alright. What’s the story there?

I know at least 4 are not Xavier old boys. The 3 Johnson’s (Caulfield Grammar) and Jay Bruno and a least 2 have not played at the club previously (Thomas and Howe). Goss, Noonan and Wynne all returning. Not sure on Woodley.

On another note I see young Jenkinson has crossed to Wesley from Xavs. Handy pick up. The lad goes alright. What’s the story there?

Your spot on re : Jenkinson. He is a very good kid, getting better with every game (all be it only 2) at the moment. Says he is loving getting
a game. That was the issue at Xavs, couldnt get a game. A good size and will only get bigger with some age and exp.

Canada. Rather than compiling lists can you ask Fitzy why he has not bothered with match reports this week. Old Xavs club communications are usually right up there. And why wouldn't they be? Even if the seniors get rolled the balance is always in their favour due to their unprecedented depth.

However they seem a bit shy when things don’t go their way so perhaps it is not all that surprising that despite it now being Friday there is still nothing about last weekend’s games. Is it mere coincidence that the lack of match reports coincides with defeat in the seniors and reserves and win loss ratio of 1/3 against their humble ACC neighbours?

Compare last week’s stirring headlines. “SENIORS PUMP PREMIERS. Claret and Stout, calm under pressure, put Pitters to the sword”. RESSIES RUMBLE. Browne's boys brush back Bernies. U19 SWEEP - Both U19 teams soared to victory at St Bernard's”

This week? ...Crickets and tumbleweeds!!!!

skob v xavs to be an interesting one tomorrow. massive outs at skob. lynch, gilham, bail, steve salopek, williams out will make it tough against the boys from toorak park

skob v xavs to be an interesting one tomorrow. massive outs at skob. lynch, gilham, bail, steve salopek, williams out will make it tough against the boys from toorak park

If that is true....ouch!!!!!

0-3 would be more than a little worrying. Next man up I guess. Yet to see a game but will get down on the weekend. By the looks it could be interesting.

Canada. Rather than compiling lists can you ask Fitzy why he has not bothered with match reports this week. Old Xavs club communications are usually right up there. And why wouldn't they be? Even if the seniors get rolled the balance is always in their favour due to their unprecedented depth.

However they seem a bit shy when things don’t go their way so perhaps it is not all that surprising that despite it now being Friday there is still nothing about last weekend’s games. Is it mere coincidence that the lack of match reports coincides with defeat in the seniors and reserves and win loss ratio of 1/3 against their humble ACC neighbours?

Compare last week’s stirring headlines. “SENIORS PUMP PREMIERS. Claret and Stout, calm under pressure, put Pitters to the sword”. RESSIES RUMBLE. Browne's boys brush back Bernies. U19 SWEEP - Both U19 teams soared to victory at St Bernard's”

This week? ...Crickets and tumbleweeds!!!!

It's always been like that. Any time Collegians have beaten Xavs there is no write-up of the game. Still waiting on the GF write-up from a few years back!

Not sure if their weekly newsletter provides a bit more insight.

Lynch, Gilham and Williams didn’t play last week. Gilham overseas and Williams likely to play a fair bit of VFL this year anyway. Why are Bail and Salopek missing?

Look on the brightside. At least provides an opportunity to play some blokes who actually went to the school;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's ok - they've still got the best good luck charm in the VAFA in Strauss. :p

Oh and Gysberts :confused:

Hmmmm....

OT, DLS and UB 3-0
OMs and OX 2-1
SKOB, Bernies 0-3

What's Maplebet's current market looking like Canada?

Maplebet:
Xavs $2.60
DLS $3.10
Trinity $4.60
Uni Blues $8.00
Melbourne $16.00
SKOB $23.00 (due to the imports coming good only)
Bernies $45.00
Blacks $100.00
Wesley $100.00
Carey $5,000.0

Re SKOB. Can't write them totally off, as you need to wait a little longer and see if the big import policy pays dividends.

Re Carey: guys saying I have it in for them. I don't, but they lack talent and depth and will be in B Grade next year. May go 0-36 for the year in 1's and 2's combined.

Re Xavs, not firing yet but ok at 2-1. Need to improve.

Re Melbourne. I underrated them. No chance to be relegated.

Maplebet:
Xavs $2.60
DLS $3.10
Trinity $4.60
Uni Blues $8.00
Melbourne $16.00
SKOB $23.00 (due to the imports coming good only)
Bernies $45.00
Blacks $100.00
Wesley $100.00
Carey $5,000.0

Re SKOB. Can't write them totally off, as you need to wait a little longer and see if the big import policy pays dividends.

Re Carey: guys saying I have it in for them. I don't, but they lack talent and depth and will be in B Grade next year. May go 0-36 for the year in 1's and 2's combined.

Re Xavs, not firing yet but ok at 2-1. Need to improve.

Re Melbourne. I underrated them. No chance to be relegated.

Canada, you DO have it in for Panthers. Not travelling well but they are not falling apart either. Didn't see today's game but won't miss the rest of the season. The bigger story is SKOB surely.
For me it's Xavs, Blues, DLS, SKOB for 4. SKOB too much invested to not make 4

Canada, you DO have it in for Panthers. Not travelling well but they are not falling apart either. Didn't see today's game but won't miss the rest of the season. The bigger story is SKOB surely.
For me it's Xavs, Blues, DLS, SKOB for 4. SKOB too much invested to not make 4

I don't. I'm just sure they will be relegated. Hardly sticking my neck out there. Said it 4 weeks ago. Think it's even more obvious now. No depth. Your ressies haven't won for almost 2 years. They have lost by 20 goals again. I'm not saying they are falling apart, I'm just saying they are the weakest A Grade team by a margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back